"That's Gay" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2003, 11:52 PM   #16
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
i feel bad cuz i used to use it back when i was in high school. it was a case of if you hear people say something enough, sometimes you tend to pick up on vocabulary words.
Back home, we lived out in the country on a dead end road, so we all had to meet at the end of the road for the school bus. This one kid always insulted people by calling them "fags"...I had no clue what "fag" meant, but I started using it then too. Eventually, I used it in front of Mom...whoa...I think that might have been a "soap in the mouth" moment. I learned quickly that that wasn't a nice word...

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 02-26-2003, 01:07 PM   #17
On Thin Ice

Local Time: 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
Do you get special permission if you take a bigoted term against you and use it in your favor to diminish its power?
I'd have to take exception to 'gay' being a bigoted term to begin with. I've been hearing that 'homosexual' is becoming more and more frowned upon by the proverbial PC police.

I just asked one of the '@ssholes' in my school about this because this is an interesting topic, and in typical high school hijinks fashion, he dismissed my attempt at social research by using the phrase, 'taking the backdoor banana'.. Oh well.

Beefeater

Old 02-26-2003, 02:57 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:04 AM
Again, PLEASE watch how you reply to threads. Your wording is often offensive, adding to the sting of your overall posts. You're being warned.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:36 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:04 AM
I, too, hate this expression and when I bring it to people's attention they just go, 'whah?' like they didn't even think about it.

Incidentally, my gay friends don't use this expression but have returned to the offensive expression of my youth..."that's so queer" which used to mean "that's stupid" when "queer" also meant "gay".
Old 02-26-2003, 04:08 PM   #20
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:04 AM
Looks like the leprechauns are on the loose again.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:19 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:04 AM
i knew it.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:31 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 01:04 AM
i call things gay all the time. I call things that are femine gay. I have a friend who's husband broke up with her because of his gayness. Gay has become a mainstream word that it can be used for any number of meanings. Or maybe its because i dont know any gay people.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:01 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:04 AM
I would venture to say it's the latter.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:14 PM   #24
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 12:04 AM
At a birthday party a few months ago, my niece was telling a story about taking some bottles of cheap wine into a restaurant but paying more to have them uncorked than they cost in the first place...she said that she felt "so gay" asking the waiter to uncork her cheap wine. My gay sister-in-law happened to be sitting there and without missing a step said "yeah, I feel pretty gay sometimes too." My niece didn't even realize what she had said but I give my sister-in-law credit... she knew it wasn't meant offensively and didn't make a big deal out of it.

Her way of dealing with it is to turn the tables...if someone is giving her directions in the car and tells her to "go straight" she'll correct them and say "you mean, proceed forward, right?"

I do know that it can be offensive depending on how its said so I just try not to say it at all.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:35 AM   #25
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 09:04 AM
it's interesting how some people were able to add that meaning of the word gay.

Gay as i knew it:

1) Showing or characterize by cheerfulness and lighthearted excitement
2)bright or lively in color
3)homosexual
4)given to social pleasures
Old 02-27-2003, 06:41 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

I think, from now on, I shall start saying, "That's straight." I think people I know will get a kick out of that. With any luck, "straight" will become synonymous with stupid, retarded, close-minded, and overall despicable--and my word will catch on nationwide. What do you think?

Melon
Old 02-27-2003, 07:31 AM   #27
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:04 PM
Is it offensive for a homosexual person to be called gay then? I've gotten to know 4-5 homosexuals well in my life and they all describe themselves as 'gay', so I am wondering if its the actual term itself, or the misplaced meaning. I always figured it had simply developed another meaning and was no big deal, much like comparisons to other words with new or misplaced meanings, like 'lame'.

All this is neither here not there though. If people say it offends them, it is no skin off anyone's nose to simply refrain from using the term. Its just a word, and one that can easily be removed from someone's vocabulary considering the effects it has.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:33 AM   #28
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I think, from now on, I shall start saying, "That's straight." I think people I know will get a kick out of that. With any luck, "straight" will become synonymous with stupid, retarded, close-minded, and overall despicable--and my word will catch on nationwide. What do you think?

Melon
There's a phrase around these parts, perhaps it worldwide? It is 'damn straight!' used to add vehemence to a fact, like 'gee its hot today' and reply 'damn straight it is!'

Its adouble whammy, you get to offend heterosexuals and religous folk!
Old 02-27-2003, 02:41 PM   #29
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 09:04 AM
melon:

Great idea
Old 02-27-2003, 03:02 PM   #30
Ghost of Love

This particularly lively thread is making me excessively cheerful, queerly lightheaded and given to social pleasures.

Hence I can unoffensively say, it is so gay.

/

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you