"That's Gay"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Angela,

I was thinking the same thing.

I hear people use the expression "damn straight" sometimes.

Usually they are not too bright.

melon said:
I think, from now on, I shall start saying, "That's straight." I think people I know will get a kick out of that. With any luck, "straight" will become synonymous with stupid, retarded, close-minded, and overall despicable--and my word will catch on nationwide. What do you think? :sexywink:

Melon

There's already two words for that: Trent Lott.

How about "that's so snobby rich white suburban!" same thing as stupid and close-minded. believe me, I used to live in snobby rich white suburbia.

Angela Harlem: There is nothing at all in the slightest wrong with calling a homosexual 'gay'. I have gay friends who definately would describe themselves as gay and not be offended were someone to say 'you're gay' by way of describing their sexual preference. What the problem is: people call anything gay.. here's some examples of things I hear around school all the time "man, that test was gay", "ah man, what a downer that's so gay" etc. the difficulty with that being gay does not mean homosexual in that context, it doesn't mean feminine, or cheerful, or happy.. it is the equivalent of saying "that sucks", "that blows", "that's lame", "forsooth that is an unworthy fellow" or what have you. This is offensive because by becoming synonymous with these bad things, it implies that gay is bad and gay people are inferior. I mean, how would you feel if you were gay and all the bad things in the world were termed in a like manner? Imagine if something horrible happened to someone and he said "man, that's so muslim" or "that was totally jewish"... pretty offensive, no? well it's pretty much the same thing and it is not cool at all and steps should be made to put an end to it. At this point it is so ingrained in popular culture that people say it all the time without realizing that they are very potentially offending people present. I'm sure some gay people are used to it, and joke about it, but in my mind that doesn't make it acceptable. Of course some people might say "well, words change, meanings change, so since gay also now means repugnant, well so be it" i guess they're free to their opinion, i just disagree strongly with it.

cheers!

Thanks SkeeK :) I figure it is more about the misplaced meaning, but despite knowing a few people who are, I think I've only ever had actual conversations about all this kind of thing with one and that was because he was quite into the whole thing. We were students at the time (studying sociology and welfare) and he did a lot of fantastic work in the gay community with HIV/AIDS sufferers. I dont want to generalise or assume though, whats good for one, is not going to be the same for all, so its something I try to never say, simply because you dont know who is going to get offended and its such a small thing to be making a fuss over, much like sexuality in the first place. Its one word and only one aspect of someone's total self.

So, in this PC society we live in where it is unlawful to offend anybody, what should we say when we want to put across a negative connotation?

Nice post, Skeek.

And as for the 'damn straight' expression...Webster has a definition of 'straight' being 'right.' So 'damn straight' just means 'damn right' and that's how it was used in the South where I grew up. What's offensive is that slang for heterosexual has been assigned the word 'straight' or 'right' whereas 'gay' in some contexts can mean something like 'silly.' :mad:

But you know, my gay friends don't really pay much attention to any of this stuff, especially the ones who are in their 30s and 40s and have been out since they were teenagers. They are more concerned with the intent behind a word than the actual word itself. Is there anger, hate, disgust behind the usage or is it just ignorance, like people saying 'that's so gay' just because everyone else is saying it without even questioning what is really being said. I absolutely know some people who use that expression and who are definitely not homophobic--they just aren't thinking when they say it. I point it out to them and they say, 'Oh, I didn't even think about it" and then they become aware of it and stop saying it.

Not sure that I follow you...I was just pointing out how annoying it is that 'straight' = 'right' = hetero. And I like melon's point as well. :sexywink:

This thread makes my head :combust:

wolfwill23 said:
So, in this PC society we live in where it is unlawful to offend anybody, what should we say when we want to put across a negative connotation?

"That's soooo straight" of course! :yes:

Melon

anyone catch "that's so gay" on the simpsons tonight?

i am so disappointed in them...it really shocked me they'd include it.

I also dislike the "that's retarded" statements. I don't use any of them :down: although I admit it takes concentration since I hear them all over the place.

Lilly said:
anyone catch "that's so gay" on the simpsons tonight?

i am so disappointed in them...it really shocked me they'd include it.

I must have missed it. I did catch the "Oh Canada!" at the end, though. :sexywink:

"Violence solves nothing, except for all of America's problems." I know I didn't get that right...

Melon

Lilly said:
So apparently I missed the newsflash that "gay" no longer means "homosexual" nor "happy," but it means stupid, and is to be placed where terms like "retarded" and "stupid" used to be.

The worst case happened when my friend called something gay and I literally spent 25 minutes telling him all the reasons why that was so horrible to be using as a synonym for stupid. The next night he came out to me.

We were discussing this linguistic transition in my sociology class and I argued that it was more that just people here saying it and that it only stemmed from ignorance and general fear which is why it's associated with subordinate terms like "retarded" and "stupid." Maybe it's just that I'm in one of the low-tolerance states or something, but do people around the country use it - or just college frat boys in South Dakota?

I don't use it - but then again, I think using "retarded" as in insult is even worse. I have a friend and a nephew who are mentally handicapped, and it chaps my hide to hear someone use "retarded" as an equivalent of stupid.

Re: Re: "That's Gay"

80sU2isBest said:
I don't use it - but then again, I think using "retarded" as in insult is even worse. I have a friend and a nephew who are mentally handicapped, and it chaps my hide to hear someone use "retarded" as an equivalent of stupid.

I dislike both.

I think we get angry when we have a human face to the supposed insult category.

Melon

My gay friend said "that's so gay" the other night, in relation to someone's high-water pants.

:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom