"That was not heroism. It was prophetic idiocy."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i don't think the paper should have held back from printing the column, but i agree that this guy should be ashamed of himself. his comments disgust me.

You can express an opinion about the war without publishing things like this. It targets one person as opposed to the issue. I think people have the right to express themselves, but to attack a person after they have died, is pretty low. If they attacked while he was alive he could have defended his decision and spoken for himself. I read an archived version of the article through goolge, because there is so much traffic to the website it won't load.....

[Q]I've been mystified at the absolute nonsense of being in "awe" of Tillman's "sacrifice" that has been the American response. Mystified, but not surprised. True, it's not everyday that you forgo a $3.6 million contract for joining the military. And, not just the regular army, but the elite Army Rangers. You know he was a real Rambo, who wanted to be in the "real" thick of things. I could tell he was that type of macho guy, from his scowling, beefy face on the CNN pictures. Well, he got his wish. Even Rambo got shot in the third movie, but in real life, you die as a result of being shot. They should call Pat Tillman's army life "Rambo 4: Rambo Attempts to Strike Back at His Former Rambo 3 Taliban Friends, and [/Q]

This is not freedom of speech....it is an assault on a dead man.

[Q]Tillman, probably acting out his nationalist-patriotic fantasies forged in years of exposure to Clint Eastwood and Rambo movies, decided to insert himself into a conflict he didn't need to insert himself into.[/Q]

i agree that it is the lowest of the low. but whether rene gonzales will ever admit it or not, pat tillman died for his freedom of speech too. if anything, this article shows us more about gonzales' character (or lack thereof) than anything else.

It's a horrible attack and really no need for it, but it is freedom of speech, cowardly freedom of speech, but freedom of speech none the less.

I am probably overreacting....I tend to defend freedom of speech, but I am not certain it is in this case...but I am probably just too fired up.

This is absolutely disgusting. I also think it's freedom of speech. I mean, hell, as much as I despise the Ku Klux Klan, I think Klan meetings and web sites and such are freedom of speech. This is horrible stuff, too, but again, it's freedom of speech.

Last edited:
That student has the right to freedom of speech.

So do we.

I choose to exercise my freedom of speech to call him or her an ass.

:down:

I understand what he attempted to express and why he said it but I think it is quite childish to talk that way. Maybe this article sans all the sarcastic rambo comments could actually not be that bad. ...or maybe not.

All I wanted to say is I understand the guy who wrote it and where he's coming from. He simply had a bad - make that "terrible", choice of words.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/04/30/tillman/index.html

"Army awards Tillman posthumous Silver Star"
Ex-NFL player died last week in Afghanistan
Friday, April 30, 2004 Posted: 8:54 PM EDT (0054 GMT)

"(CNN) -- A Silver Star has been awarded posthumously to Cpl. Pat Tillman, the former football player who died last week after returning to an ambush to save the remainder of his platoon, Army Special Operations Command said Friday."

"Tillman was killed while performing his duty "without regard to his personal safety," the Army said in a statement."

"Even though his element was out of the area that had come under fire, Tillman "ordered his team to dismount and maneuvered his team up a hill toward the enemy's location," the Army said."

"During the battle, he issued "fire commands to take the fight to the enemy on the dominating high ground," the statement continued."

""Only after his team engaged the well-armed enemy did it appear their fires diminished.""

"Because of Tillman's leadership and his team's efforts, the trail section under fire "was able to maneuver through the ambush to positions of safety without a single casualty," the Army said."

I don't think it's overreacting at all. I don't care what he thinks about the war, he has NO BUSINESS saying things like that. I have the utmost admiration and respect for Pat Tillman and all the others who have died and those who are still over there.

I think that graduate student has MANY things to learn :|

More Press Idiocy

trall040503.gif

:rant: What I find so ironic about the whole thing is Pat Tilman had the integrity, and - let's admit it - the cojones to walk away from a GAME that would have paid him millions and would have probably ended up calling him a hero for some grid iron manuever. Instead, for just enough salary to keep him above the poverty level, he signed up to serve our country and now, after losing his life doing his JOB, is being slandered by some piss-ant frat boy as an enemy of Mankind in general. As if Tilman was in Afghanistan on his own time 'cause he was an adrenaline junkie.... :madspit:
As angry as it makes me, I can still take solace in the fact that thanks to men like Pat Tilman who have literally given their blood for me, I live in a country where any dumbass can freely open his mouth & show how freakin' ignorant he is.
God Bless America.

:applaud: BluRmGrl

Pat Tillman's military service aside..obviously I didn't know him personally, but from everything I have heard, he was a man w/ many special qualities. Ironically frat boy and that cartoonist might have learned quite a bit from the man that they are ridiculing

I watched some of his memorial service yesterday, it was beautiful. What a loss...

Thank you Pat for your service and for being true to yourself

Ugh that article and cartoon disgust me :tsk: I'm proud of any soldier that fought and died for us no matter where they came from whether it be the NFL or the person that lives next door to me. That is just horrible what the person wrote. :down:

My deepest sympathies and prayers to the Tillman family.

The person who wrote the article mentioned, has no idea of what it is like, to bury your child.

And yes, I do cherish the right to free speech. But I value kindness and compassion towards others, even more.

Re: More Press Idiocy

nbcrusader said:

uh....i know the mom of the guy who made that cartoon. I'm not saying i know how he wanted his cartoon to be interpreted but to me he is speaking out against the war and the military and not against pat tillman.

uh...ignore my first post.....

ok...i just went to his website and read his statement about the cartoon. www.rall.com/rants.html To summarize what I read it was anti-bush, anti-war, and he called tillman foolish and misguided. I do not agree with what he said about tillman. How would he know what was really going through Tillmans mind and the reasons why he enlisted.

Re: Re: More Press Idiocy

samralf said:

uh....i know the mom of the guy who made that cartoon. I'm not saying i know how he wanted his cartoon to be interpreted but to me he is speaking out against the war and the military and not against pat tillman.

i'd be willing to bet all the money in my pocket that this guy has every single book michael moore has ever written in his bookcase...

And I bet there are other people who own every single Michael Moore book and think the cartoon is really stupid and mean-spirited.

Exactly samralf, how would he know anything about Pat Tillman and his motivations? No offense, but he has some nerve..who is he to judge?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ep/20040504/en_bpiep/rallstillmancartoonpulledbymsnbccom

"Tillman gave up millions of dollars," Rall added. "To that extent I think he's admirable, but the cause is not. ... He would have been a better person and a better husband if he took the $3.6 million and played football and left the poor and beleaguered people of Afghanistan and Iraq alone." :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom