That so called war on terror...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: 29% they are trying to shore up the base - Indy bought it

INDY500 said:

And the 1/3 of Democrats that think George Bush knew about the 9/11 attacks in an advance...what, and by whom, are they being spoonfed?

"loose change' goes down so smooth

just like vanilla ice cream (yummy)

I am looking for a picture of the GOP candidates with hands in air

the question was:

Raise your hand if you don’t believe in evolution?
or

(Raise your hand if you are "stupid", and you know it?")

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 29% they are trying to shore up the base - Indy bought it

INDY500 said:

you'll have to admit, to some degree by the sheer fact that we have had no further attacks since then.

Really? You're really going to use that line of reasoning?:|

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 29% they are trying to shore up the base - Indy bought it

INDY500 said:

Well, Christians don't do so well in their caliphate either. If that's any consolation.
Christians are people of the book and can live and worship if they pay their jyzia. Polytheists and atheists, not so much.

WE have had no further attacks here in the US. What about Iraq? What about London? What about Bali? What about Madrid? What about the several hundred something US soldiers that are dead now?

Re: Re: Re: Re: 29% they are trying to shore up the base - Indy bought it

BonoVoxSupastar said:

A 1/3 of Democrats? Is this some poll you took?

There's a fair amount of evidence that certain things should have been taken more seriously, but to blame Bush would be ridiculous.

And those that have conspiracy theories as to Bush knew or had a part in 9/11, I doubt many are actually Democrats. Just like many in the far far right I wouldn't call Republicans.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/pub...lieve_bush_knew_about_9_11_attacks_in_advance

Democrats in America are evenly divided on the question of whether George W. Bush knew about the 9/11 terrorist attacks in advance. Thirty-five percent (35%) of Democrats believe he did know, 39% say he did not know, and 26% are not sure.

You should listen to Rush more often, then you'd know about these things.

Zootlesque said:
WE have had no further attacks here in the US. What about Iraq? What about London? What about Bali? What about Madrid? What about the several hundred something US soldiers that are dead now?

agreed.

i was personally affected by 9-11. i know people who died, and i know people who ran out of the building.

but i think the absence of attacks does have something to do with the increase in security post 9-11, but i think it also has something to do with the fact that it's incredibly hard to pull off an attack in the US as opposed to european or arab countries.

sure, it could happen again, but it sure as hell isn't "imminent."

INDY500 said:
you'll have to admit, to some degree by the sheer fact that we have had no further attacks since then.

I have heard Dick Cheney and other members of the Administration say this.

Are you refering to 9/11/2001?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 29% they are trying to shore up the base - Indy bought it

INDY500 said:

You should listen to Rush more often, then you'd know about these things.

I wouldn't give Rasmussen Reports too much credit, they have some poorly executed polls a lot of the time.

Zootlesque said:
WE have had no further attacks here in the US. What about Iraq? What about London? What about Bali? What about Madrid?

Those are foreign people who don't count. Duh.

Zootlesque said:

Originally posted by Zootlesque Isn't it the war on tearrr, according to Bush? Don't worry guys, he'll smoke 'em all out!

I'm wondering if you think the 'war on terror' is a bumper sticker, or not. I'm confused.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 29% they are trying to shore up the base - Indy bought it

A_Wanderer said:
Christians are people of the book and can live and worship if they pay their jyzia. Polytheists and atheists, not so much.

Well, depends on who you ask or want to believe, but at best I think Christians and Jews (as dhimmis) would be ghettoized, and at worst, asked to convert at the point of a sword.

anitram said:

Oh bite me.

I live in the U.S. -- as does Irvine -- and we were talking specifically about 9/11 as "the most exploited tragedy in American history."

When Cheney slips and says we have not been attacked on American soil by the enemy since 9/11.

It reveals something.

Re: Re: Re: Re: 29% they are trying to shore up the base - Indy bought it

deep said:

Raise your hand if you don’t believe in evolution?
or

(Raise your hand if you are "stupid", and you know it?")

Excuse me?

Are you implying that if you dont buy into evolution that you are stupid? I have to very much disagree with you.

INDY500 said:

What's that? The anthrax attacks? Has anyone taken credit for that?

Image219.gif
402_anthrax_letter_daschle.jpg

Aren't we supposed to believe they were done by Islamo Terrorists?

or does Cheney know something?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 29% they are trying to shore up the base - Indy b

INDY500 said:
Well, depends on who you ask or want to believe, but at best I think Christians and Jews (as dhimmis) would be ghettoized, and at worst, asked to convert at the point of a sword.

Historically, this completely depended on who the ruler was. For example, Moorish Spain, for the most part, was an enclave for Jews, who fared better there than in Christian Europe, where they were outright hated. However, there were certain rulers who were much more intolerant and insisted on forced conversions, so there were a few occasions when the Christians (known then as "Mozarabs") would flee north to the relatively stable Kingdom of Asturias. But equally interestingly, if a newly tolerant leader emerged, many Mozarabs would also migrate back.

A lot of this, I imagine, would have to do with the fact that the Moors did not upset the old Visigothic order all that much, as the Visigothic lords would often able to maintain their lands. Where the Moors ultimately ended up upsetting the old order, though, was how Christian slaves of the time could gain their freedom by converting to Islam.

After the end of the Reconquista in 1492, when Spain became fully Christian again, all the Jews and Muslims were forcibly converted or expelled, so even considering the fact that Jews and Christians were subject to dhimmi status, they were considerably treated better than Christian attitudes towards minority religions during this same historical period.

Of course, history is always full of irony, as Christians are now more tolerant of minority beliefs than that of Muslim nations.

2861U2 said:

Excuse me?

Are you implying that if you dont buy into evolution that you are stupid? I have to very much disagree with you.
Different thread, but if a creationist is not stupid then their critical eye is unidirectional.

If Bin Laden, al Queda hates America and President Bush is the leader.

Then why do they want to kill the Democratic Leader of the Senate and the Democratic Chair of the Judicial Appointments Committee in October 2001?

These two people were at the top of Cheney and the conservatives "hit list".

The letters were addressed to two Democratic Senators, Tom Daschle of South Dakota and Patrick Leahy of Vermont. More than 22 people developed anthrax infections, with 11 of the especially life-threatening inhalation variety. Five died of inhalation anthrax: Stevens; two employees of the Brentwood mail facility in Washington, D.C., Thomas Morris Jr. and Joseph Curseen; and two about whom their source of exposure to the bacteria is still unknown: Kathy Nguyen, a Vietnamese immigrant resident in the borough of the Bronx who worked in New York City, and Ottilie Lundgren, a 94-year old widow of a prominent judge from Oxford, Connecticut, who was the last known victim.

anitram said:

The Bush/McCain/Kennedy immigration bill says 'Hi!'

Along with the countless countries that America has invested capital in for decades, not to mention our biggest trading partner, Canada.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 29% they are trying to shore up the base - Indy bought it

INDY500 said:

and the gays would be beheaded.

2861U2 said:

Excuse me?

how about willfully, intentionally ignorant?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 29% they are trying to shore up the base - Indy b

Ormus said:

Historically, this completely depended on who the ruler was. For example, Moorish Spain, for the most part, was an enclave for Jews, who fared better there than in Christian Europe, where they were outright hated. However, there were certain rulers who were much more intolerant and insisted on forced conversions, so there were a few occasions when the Christians (known then as "Mozarabs") would flee north to the relatively stable Kingdom of Asturias. But equally interestingly, if a newly tolerant leader emerged, many Mozarabs would also migrate back.

A lot of this, I imagine, would have to do with the fact that the Moors did not upset the old Visigothic order all that much, as the Visigothic lords would often able to maintain their lands. Where the Moors ultimately ended up upsetting the old order, though, was how Christian slaves of the time could gain their freedom by converting to Islam.

After the end of the Reconquista in 1492, when Spain became fully Christian again, all the Jews and Muslims were forcibly converted or expelled, so even considering the fact that Jews and Christians were subject to dhimmi status, they were considerably treated better than Christian attitudes towards minority religions during this same historical period.

Of course, history is always full of irony, as Christians are now more tolerant of minority beliefs than that of Muslim nations.

Interesting.
Some of that has to do with the classical relationship between Islam and non-Muslims within the sphere of jihad. You can be classified as "at war", "at truce", or "under submission."

Irvine511 said:

how about willfully, intentionally ignorant?

Give me a break.

*sigh*

I disagree with most people in FYM more and more everyday. I can't watch Keith Olbermann before I go to bed because it gets my BP going, and I'm starting to feel the same about this forum.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 29% they are trying to shore up the base - In

Irvine511 said:

and the gays would be beheaded.
Hey, thats unfair and Islamophobic - they get walls collapsed on them in the proper humane fashion.

Back
Top Bottom