"Thank You Jesus" Leads To Jail - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2006, 02:15 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono'sTyee
I wonder if the man had said "Thank you Satan!" if he would have had the same fate....
LOL... that would have been hilarious.

Old 07-18-2006, 02:21 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Some kids don't like to keep things in their lockers, for fear of theft.
I could see some immature teenager stealing a Bible and telling all his buddies about it. We're talking highschool here. It's full of kids like this.

Old 07-18-2006, 02:22 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:22 AM
Actually I think OJ said thank you Satan..

the hawaiichannel.com

A state judge on Friday refused to apologize to a man he put behind bars for shouting "Thank you, Jesus" in his courtroom.

Junior Stowers awaited the verdict in his domestic abuse trial last week. A lot was at stake for Stowers. As an immigrant, if he was convicted he could be deported and could lose his position as a youth volunteer at his church.

The judge was Patrick Border. Gov. Linda Lingle appointed him two years ago.

Just before the verdict was read, the judge whispered a warning to the attorneys.

Dialogue from the trial: "No displays of emotion one way or another by anyone in the case. You understand?" Border said in court.

Dialogue from the trial: "We, the jury, in the above entitled case find the defendant not guilty," the jury foreman said.

"Thank you, Jesus!" Stowers exclaimed.

"You be quiet. OK, we will be in conference after that," Border said.

"He wanted to apologize, and the judge cut him off and didn't let him apologize," Kwock told KITV on Friday.

Dialogue from the trial: "May I approach the bench, your honor?" Stowers said.

"No, you may not," Border said.

"Your honor, he just wants to apologize," Kwock said.

"Well, I think I had earlier alerted counsel, and I had in previous cases," Border said. "This kind of behavior, outbursts are not permitted."

The supervising public defender, Ronnette Kawakami, said she was shocked to see the judge order Stowers locked up.

"He was placed in handcuffs in front of his family, in front of his family and taken down to the cellblock for nothing other than saying, 'Thank you, Jesus' in a loud voice," Kawakami said.

Six hours later, Border defended his action.

"It was observed within my presence. It was behavior that was more characteristic, more applicable for the swap meet or a major contest," Border said.

Stowers remained in custody for four to five hours.

A week later, Border dropped the contempt charge, agreeing that Kwock didn't have a chance to warn her client before the verdict. On Friday, Border refused to make any other comment or offer an apology.

Stowers told his lawyer he is not looking for an apology. He said he just wants to get on with his life.

As for Border, except for the reappointment process that comes around only every 10 years, there is really no mechanism in Hawaii for judging the behavior of judges, KITV reported.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:29 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:22 AM
Quote:
"It was observed within my presence. It was behavior that was more characteristic, more applicable for the swap meet or a major contest," Border said.
The judge is digging a deeper hole here. What a jerk.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:30 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

I've never been to a swap meet, do people actually say thank you Jesus there? Thank you Jesus for my 99 cent Velvet Elvis?
Old 07-18-2006, 02:33 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie

All I know is that swap meets are really boring.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:36 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I've never been to a swap meet, do people actually say thank you Jesus there? Thank you Jesus for my 99 cent Velvet Elvis?
Not to my knowledge.

This strikes me as just an intellectual's attempt to trivialize (and demean) an honest expression of faith. Perhaps just par for the course.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:53 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Not to my knowledge.

This strikes me as just an intellectual's attempt to trivialize (and demean) an honest expression of faith. Perhaps just par for the course.
Watch out there, nbc; you'll be accused of whining. We all know that no one actually trivializes anyone's faith.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:54 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

To be honest I have to question the truthfulness of this example.
You can question what you want; I'm no liar.

I question whether you truly believe that kids don't steal things from other kids' lockers.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:59 PM   #55
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:22 PM
Are judges necessarily intellectuals? It sounded to me more like some pretentious old crank's hamfisted way of expressing disapproval at what he considered coarse and uncouth behavior. A petty and utterly lame reaction, for sure...don't know that it strikes me as intellectual though.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 07-18-2006, 03:13 PM   #56
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:22 AM
Quote:

You can question what you want; I'm no liar.

I question whether you truly believe that kids don't steal things from other kids' lockers.

I was questioning the truthfulness of the person being asked not to bring the Bible to class. You know, the example we were talking about?
Old 07-18-2006, 03:21 PM   #57
The Fly

A person in my AP English class brought his Bible to class everyday and it never bothered anyone. But we had a lot of silent reading time after we finished our work and that's when he'd read it. The teacher never had to ask him to put it away and he never made any other students read it.....I dunno if that helps your example or not....
Old 07-18-2006, 03:25 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Wow, I wasn't aware it was that big of a deal. I guess I just always thought being a public school meant you couldn't teach religious beliefs, unless you were like teaching a course on religion and gave equal treatment to a variety of beliefs. So, in public schools, you can't use religious literature in discussions/debates? Can they be used as sources for papers?
It's not a big deal to me. As long as she was on task when I asked her to be (i.e. working on a map, worksheet, taking a quiz) I didn't mind at all that she had her bible in class with her. Students that bring Harry Potter to class get the same treatment.

I teach World Civ. We look at religious literature almost on a daily basis first semester. DBQ's always have documents dealing with religion. When writing essays those documents are included as sources.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I was questioning the truthfulness of the person being asked not to bring the Bible to class. You know, the example we were talking about?
We had just been talkling about my statement that I knew kids who carried their books around with them all day. That's what truthfulness I thought you were questioning.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:20 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

Why are you laughing? You don't think it's true? I knew kids that would carry their stuff around with `em all day because of theft. I kid you not.
When I was in high school I used to carry most of my books with me for most of the school day because the school was a huge, three-story building and we only had a few minutes between classes and I didn't want to risk being late for class if I had to go a long ways out of my way to get to my locker between classes.