"Thank You Jesus" Leads To Jail - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2006, 07:58 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

No, I'm a moron I wasn't aware Christmas was a religious holiday. No, I wouldn't like to ban Christmas, just make sure it's secularized in government and public schools.
By "secularized" do you mean that it should be stripped of its true meaning?

Old 07-17-2006, 08:13 PM   #32
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

By "secularized" do you mean that it should be stripped of its true meaning?
In government buildings and public schools, yes. Keeping it as a season for giving and spreading joy, I see no problem with that.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:38 PM   #33
The Fly

Local Time: 04:19 PM
I wonder if the man had said "Thank you Satan!" if he would have had the same fate....
Old 07-17-2006, 11:45 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

I'll give you a quick example.

A guy I go to church with graduated high school not too long back and would regularly take his Bible to class when he attended middle school. First day of high school he was asked in multiple classes to put his Bible away as it might offend others in the class. He refused, but was threatened to be sent to the principle's office. He didn't want to go through the trouble over something like that so he just complied with their wishes.

I've heard much more than just one story like that.

Have you haeard a story like this one

A guy goes to Church
he brings out a copy of 'The Origin of Species" by Darwin during Bible study
they ask him to put it away
if he refuses he will be asked to leave

Old 07-18-2006, 07:52 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Have you haeard a story like this one

A guy goes to Church
he brings out a copy of 'The Origin of Species" by Darwin during Bible study
they ask him to put it away
if he refuses he will be asked to leave

Why did that person bring the book? Was he genuinely wanting answers? Or, was he just wanting to start trouble? If he was just wanting to start trouble, he should have had no expectation of an outcome other than being asked to put it away. Even if his motivation was pure - if he wanted answers, he should have scheduled a one on one meeting with an appropriate person that he trusted. A Bible Study is time set aside for people who want to study God's word. It is for that purpose, and that purpose only; it is not the time to whip out a book like Origin Of The Species that wll only cause division and disruption.

It is not the same situation as the guy bringing the Bible to school. As long as he's learning his school lessons, as long as he's paying attention and not reading the Bible in class, it offends no one by just sitting there on his desk. During the breaks, he can read silently to himself and no harm is done. It will disrupt nothing.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:19 AM   #36
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

It is not the same situation as the guy bringing the Bible to school. As long as he's learning his school lessons, as long as he's paying attention and not reading the Bible in class, it offends no one by just sitting there on his desk. During the breaks, he can read silently to himself and no harm is done. It will disrupt nothing.
Granted it's been awhile and all schools are different, but we had no personal reading time during school hours. So this scenario seemed like the same exact situation to me.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:24 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Granted it's been awhile and all schools are different, but we had no personal reading time during school hours. So this scenario seemed like the same exact situation to me.
You didn't have study hall, breaks between classes, or even lunch?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:30 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

It's threads like this that make me glad I went to a private school. It's rather sad that when I read these threads, it's obvious that even though my private school is supposedly restrictive, we had more comprehensive sex ed, more diverse topics of study (for example, we study 3-4 theories of creation in science classes, not just Intelligent Design), and no one was ever hassled for being a Christian, Jew, Atheist, Muslim, etc. What gives?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:43 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

Actually, I agree.

I had a student 2 years ago that was a Jehovah's Witness. After she'd finish a test or in class assignment she'd take out a pocket sized bible and read, underline, make notes in the margins. . .Never bothered me. If she had it out during discussion or some other activity I'd ask her to put it away and that would be the end of it.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:05 PM   #40
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

You didn't have study hall, breaks between classes, or even lunch?
Our study hall was used for school related studies, breaks were almost long enough to get you to your next class, and lunch wasn't held in the classroom. So I still have to wonder why anyone would need a Bible in the classroom.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:25 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Our study hall was used for school related studies, breaks were almost long enough to get you to your next class, and lunch wasn't held in the classroom. So I still have to wonder why anyone would need a Bible in the classroom.
Some kids don't like to keep things in their lockers, for fear of theft.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:27 PM   #42
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Some kids don't like to keep things in their lockers, for fear of theft.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:27 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

Actually, I agree.

I had a student 2 years ago that was a Jehovah's Witness. After she'd finish a test or in class assignment she'd take out a pocket sized bible and read, underline, make notes in the margins. . .Never bothered me. If she had it out during discussion or some other activity I'd ask her to put it away and that would be the end of it.
Wow, I wasn't aware it was that big of a deal. I guess I just always thought being a public school meant you couldn't teach religious beliefs, unless you were like teaching a course on religion and gave equal treatment to a variety of beliefs. So, in public schools, you can't use religious literature in discussions/debates? Can they be used as sources for papers?
Old 07-18-2006, 01:54 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Why are you laughing? You don't think it's true? I knew kids that would carry their stuff around with `em all day because of theft. I kid you not.

Besides, how is someone going to be offended by a Bible sitting on a desk doing nothing? If someone is offended by that, they're more thin-skinned than I am.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:04 PM   #45
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Why are you laughing? You don't think it's true? I knew kids that would carry their stuff around with `em all day because of theft. I kid you not.

Besides, how is someone going to be offended by a Bible sitting on a desk doing nothing? If someone is offended by that, they're more thin-skinned than I am.
Thought it was a joke, sorry...

To be honest I have to question the truthfulness of this example.

But there are a lot of things not allowed in the classroom due to it being a distraction when I was in school baseball caps weren't allowed in the classroom, magazines, etc. Those things had to be in the locker until the end of the day.