"Thank You Jesus" Leads To Jail - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2006, 07:22 PM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

In public schools Bibles and prayer are becoming less and less accepted while other religions (such as Islam, especially where I live) are becoming more accepted. In a nearby school students are not allowed to make their prayers to Jesus known but they set a time aside for Islam kids to pray (there's a picture on the front page of my paper of Islam teenagers all bowing on the floor). While this attitude may not be too mainstream, it's becoming more and more common as time goes on.
I've never heard of any public school allowing any type of praying.

Quote:

The ACLU is a major player in getting Christianity (much moreso than any other religion) out of the public. They don't want the ten commandments posted anywhere in public. They've gone into some communities sueing those who have Christmas trees in their yard. They've even moved towards removing stone crosses from graveyards. It's horrible IMO. In schools around my area Christ themed Christmas songs are not allowed to be sung because people may be offended (even though it's Christmas... a holiday celebrating Christ). Department stores took down their signs saying "Merry Christmas" because supposedly anything that has to do with Christ is no offensive and improper. Nativity scenes in my state are banned now. They're even trying to take Christ out of Christmas.

Gravestones? Really? That sounds like BS.

I love how the ACLU has become the whipping boy for "Christians" who don't understand separation of church and state.

And Ten Commandments and Nativity Scenes have not been banned anywhere where they should be displayed, i.e. a church. Just those places where they should be banned.

"Christians" just like to play victim in today's society... Personally I think they should spend more time caring about their own families, helping the poor and sick, and quit whining about how we can't have a ten commandmets statue at a court house.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:23 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I've never heard of any public school allowing any type of praying.
Before the 70's it was actually quite common place.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
[B]And Ten Commandments and Nativity Scenes have not been banned anywhere where they should be displayed, i.e. a church. Just those places where they should be banned.

Quote:

Personally I think they should spend more time caring about their own families, helping the poor and sick
Do you realize how many charity organizations were founded by Christians? Do you realize how many Christians have given up their lives in pursuit of helping hungry people in the US and all over the world.

Old 07-16-2006, 10:06 PM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Before the 70's it was actually quite common place.
There were a lot of things found common place in the 70's that were wrong and we don't do now.

Quote:

Do you realize how many charity organizations were founded by Christians? Do you realize how many Christians have given up their lives in pursuit of helping hungry people in the US and all over the world.
Come on. Of course I know this, I just think as much time that's wasted whining could be used for better.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:08 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Come on. Of course I know this, I just think as much time that's wasted whining could be used for better.
You and I are wasting time here, arguing about this, when we could be out feeding people, aren't we?
Old 07-16-2006, 10:14 PM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

You and I are wasting time here, arguing about this, when we could be out feeding people, aren't we?
I'm not using a pulpit, the courts, money, or other people's time and resources right now am I?
Old 07-16-2006, 11:07 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

I'm not using a pulpit, the courts, money, or other people's time and resources right now am I?
No, but you know what my point was.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:31 PM   #22
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Quote:

In public schools Bibles and prayer are becoming less and less accepted
Really? how's that???
Old 07-17-2006, 01:24 AM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

No, but you know what my point was.
Yes, and I know you are one of the quickest to be an apologist for conservative Christianity, but even you have to admit there is a lot of meaningless whining and playing victim...
Old 07-17-2006, 05:04 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Muggsy

Really? how's that???
I'll give you a quick example.

A guy I go to church with graduated high school not too long back and would regularly take his Bible to class when he attended middle school. First day of high school he was asked in multiple classes to put his Bible away as it might offend others in the class. He refused, but was threatened to be sent to the principle's office. He didn't want to go through the trouble over something like that so he just complied with their wishes.

I've heard much more than just one story like that.

And BonoVox, how much time and energy do you honestly think I spend complaining about how much Christians are abused?

And when you refer to seperation of church and state do you mean that any show of religion outside of the home or church should be banned completely? You do know that the Christmas holiday IS meant to celebrate Jesus' birthday, right? Would you like christmas to be banned as well? Isn't that a celebration of religion?
Old 07-17-2006, 08:03 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

The reason I posted this thread was I thought it was an example of the bizarre and arbitrary nature of the legal system and judges. I've seen outbursts far worse than this receive no reprimand from a judge, let alone contempt. And of course sometimes people don't go to jail for criminal offenses, much less an outburst of any kind-let alone thank you Jesus.

All this other stuff wasn't the point of the thread in my mind, isn't all of that discussed enough elsewhere here? I suppose I should have thought of that before I posted it, and then I wouldn't have posted it.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:29 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Court minutes said Border later dropped the charge because he realized Stowers' trial lawyer, Deputy Public Defender Carmel Kwock, did not have time to tell Stowers the judge had ordered both sides not to show emotion when the verdict was announced.
I'm sorry, folks. Hiding behind Jesus is not an excuse for violating an order to not show emotion for the verdict. He did violate the order.

However, as this article also shows, the judge recognized the possibility that he was unaware of the order, and dropped the charge.

And that's that. In this case, there's no reason to walk around like this is the Roman Empire throwing Christians to the lions.

Melon
Old 07-17-2006, 09:51 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Yes, and I know you are one of the quickest to be an apologist for conservative Christianity, but even you have to admit there is a lot of meaningless whining and playing victim...
There's a lot of meaningless whining and playing victim everywhere you look, BVS. Heck, in the athiest thread right now, some of `em are saying that athiests are mistreated in this country. You say I'm an "apologist" for conservative Christianity, but what I really want is for others to be held up to the same level of scrutiny, which they aren't, especially in this forum.

And I'm not whining and crying when I say that. I am defending myself.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:52 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

I'm sorry, folks. Hiding behind Jesus is not an excuse for violating an order to not show emotion for the verdict. He did violate the order.

However, as this article also shows, the judge recognized the possibility that he was unaware of the order, and dropped the charge.

And that's that. In this case, there's no reason to walk around like this is the Roman Empire throwing Christians to the lions.

Melon
Those are very good points, melon. And I find myself agreeing with you yet again.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:18 PM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

And BonoVox, how much time and energy do you honestly think I spend complaining about how much Christians are abused?
I don't know anything about you except your posts, so I wouldn't know. I just know a lot spend way too much time and energy whining about it.

Quote:

And when you refer to seperation of church and state do you mean that any show of religion outside of the home or church should be banned completely? You do know that the Christmas holiday IS meant to celebrate Jesus' birthday, right? Would you like christmas to be banned as well? Isn't that a celebration of religion?
No, I'm a moron I wasn't aware Christmas was a religious holiday. No, I wouldn't like to ban Christmas, just make sure it's secularized in government and public schools.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:54 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:00 PM
Obviously, the subjective content of the outburst gives this story a few more column inches than the typical jury case.

A contempt of court charge usually is levied after a explicit warning, and that after prior examples of behavior that are deemed unacceptable.

The case would make sense if defendant Stowers had made similar “Praise Jesus” outbursts, received a warning, and had done it again.

What is troubling is that the judge expects a defendant to retain their emotions when a verdict is read. In the context of an innocent person on trial, the pressure on the individual must be extraordinary. When the pressure is lifted with a non-guilty verdict, I can’t imagine a defendant being unaffected by the news.