Thank you for your service, Sen. Warner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
MSNBC.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sen. Warner won't seek 6th term
Virginia Republican is considered authority on military, national defense
BREAKING NEWS
The Associated Press
Updated: 11:24 a.m. PT Aug 31, 2007
RICHMOND, Va. - Sen. John Warner said Friday he will not seek a sixth term in the 2008 election.

"My work and service to Virginia as a senator ... will conclude upon the sixth of January, 2009," Warner said at a news conference at the University of Virginia. He thanked those who helped him have "a magnificent and very rewarding career in the U.S. Senate."

Warner, 80, has held the seat since 1978, when the dashing former Navy secretary campaigned alongside his wife at the time, Elizabeth Taylor.

He chaired the Armed Services Committee when the GOP controlled the Senate and is one of the most respected authorities in Congress on the military and national defense.

This breaking news story will be updated.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20534057/

ETA-The buzz is Democrat and fmr. Gov. Mark Warner will run, and there will probably be a Republican Primary between Republican Congressman Tom Davis and fmr. Gov. Jim Gilmore (who recently dropped out of the presidential race).

It'll be sad to see such a respected senator go, but it was his time.

Last edited:
I know there's an age limit for governor...I can't remember if it's 25 or 30 :hmm:

*looks up Virginia constitution*

Yeah you have to be 30...so you can't run in '09 but maybe some other time :wink:

U2democrat said:
:ohmy:

Apparently Pat Buchanan is considering running for senate here.

this won't happen

there is a better chance of Romney getting the GOP Pres nom, and that won't happen

(maybe we can get Allan Keyes to come to VA)

Back
Top Bottom