Thank you for funding education!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
While the DNC is currently running an ad that is false, i would like to take the time to thank President Bush for increasing educational spending by 58% since he has been in office. While many would have us believe that he has cut or wants to cut more from education, this is clearly false.

peace

Education%20Department%20Funding.GIF

As you can see that there was almost level funding by the prior administration, while Bush has indeed increased the funding with the No Child Left behind legislation.

My question is....where did the money go? I would like an answer. My district has less programs than four years ago. Where did it go? Did it all get put into inner city schools where the philosophy of throwing money at a problem has done little to improve results?

Where did it go?

The DNC should be ahamed that they are not doing their homework.

I think that these figures are a misnomer, considering that most school districts are funded mostly by local governments, and, in part, state governments, but not the federal government. I, as well, wonder where this money has gone.

BTW, again, look at the fine print. This is funding for the "Department of Education," not "education." This doesn't mean that any of this money has benefitted local districts.

Melon

Last edited:
My state, Alabama, had the lowest-ranked schools in the U.S. during the Clinton Administration and we still do. It's not the feds who are at fault here, it's our stupid :censored: :censored: local politicians. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

[Q]Furthermore, Bush is seeking additional increases -- not cuts -- in "key education programs" next year. His budget calls for a 9.8% increase for programs for low-income children, to $15.2 billion, and a 5.9% increase in funding for special education, to $12.1 billion.[/Q]

Fact Check is the source

Wow....That was impressive.:huh:

My post was in response to DNC...Democratic National Committee saying he REDUCED spending in the budget.

Show me where I indicated this was about Clinton. Unless of course there was some other administration before Bush to compare it to that I am not aware of.

Originally posted by Dreadsox
Show me where I indicated this was about Clinton

Dread,
Without wishing to speak for anyone else, I would think Salome was referring to the graph you posted which referred to "Clinton vs. Bush."

*Fizz.

Fizz,

I gathered that. Which is why I asked who else there was to compare to? How else do you demonstrate an increase in funding?

Yeah, the other half of program spending is making sure that money goes where it should.

In canada we've had many, many problems with that, including our current sponsorship scandal.

He better put that kind of money into education. My kids will need to be doctors and lawyers to deal with the defecit he's running up.

I am not certain the graph is accurate. I went to the OMB and the graph that they made says the funds were for "Education" it does not say the department of education. I think I might email fact check. They are assuming the money goes to the DOE.

martha said:
"Education" is a very nebulous term. I'd like to see how much went directly to LEAs and classrooms.

I am still searching for info on this.

Have you seen cuts in teachers and in after school programs like we are seeing here?

My school doesn't get Title 1, so we don't have much to cut. But, no, my district hasn't cut much yet. Plus, we have Arnie for governor, so we just put everything on our credit card.

I got my Terrorist mgazine yesterday. Oops, I mean my NEA magazine. There's an article about underfunding of ESEA and the cuts made to education by Bush in general. The increase in funding for the DOE may actually be the grants he's made to pro-voucher groups! Way to go W! :rolleyes:

Yes. Vouchers are when public school funding is taken from public schools and given to private schools. The parents get a "voucher" for the cost of that private education. These private schools do not have the same rules, regulations, and educational requirements that public schools have. It's been a nice way for conservatives to fund church schools using public money.

martha said:
My school doesn't get Title 1, so we don't have much to cut. But, no, my district hasn't cut much yet. Plus, we have Arnie for governor, so we just put everything on our credit card.

Our Title 1 has not been decreased at all. Our class sizes are balooning with cuts at the 4th and fifth grades the size of the classes are 28. Our high stakes year in testing is grade 4. Not easy to prepare them for the long essay test.

Our after school activities have disappeared since 2001.

martha said:
Yes. Vouchers are when public school funding is taken from public schools and given to private schools. The parents get a "voucher" for the cost of that private education. These private schools do not have the same rules, regulations, and educational requirements that public schools have. It's been a nice way for conservatives to fund church schools using public money.

What are the differences in educational requirements? Are public school districts burdening themselves with additional requirements or does the state create a two-tiered system?

It seems that making substantive requirements identical would be the route to take if public funding is to be involved.

Private schools ARE NOT held to the same testing standards as the public schools.

I am not quite certain what you mean by burdening.

Dreadsox said:
I am not quite certain what you mean by burdening.

I was wondering if there are non-educational reporting requirements, restrictions, or other mandated tasks that are not universally required by state law, but are adopted by a public school district.

I would think that state law would create core minimum standards that covers the majority of the school day for any school - public or private.

I can tell you that the paperwork involved in No Child Left behind, along with the mandated testing has put added burden on our schools. It has led to the creation of more management in my school system.

Private Schools and Charter Schools are NOT bound by the same requirements as public schools.

Private schools do not have to provide Special Education, they can toss out students who don't cut the academic mustard, they can (and frequently must) hire uncredentialed teachers, they don't need to provide the same "accountability" we do, they don't have to teach the same state standards we do. Local districts don't "burden" themselves with anything. The state and feds do enough of that, thanks. So, yeah, our state has created a two-tiered system.

Back
Top Bottom