Texas votes to ban Gay Foster Parents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melon said:

I judge states on the basis of how they vote on gay issues. Like those 11+ states that voted for "Defense of Marriage" amendments. Even "liberal" old Oregon registered around 60%, didn't it?

Pathetic. And if Angela Harlem wasn't being sarcastic, the misanthrope in me would be inclined to agree with her statement.

Melon

I'm sure all the pro-gay activists, gay and straight, who fought those laws in those states (even though they lost), as well as their supporters and families and friends, really appreciate your support. :up:

Back on track, ALL stereotyping aside.......

Is there a LOGICAL reason you would not want a child placed into a homosexual household?

U2Bama said:
Irvine, I think 80sU2_Is_The_Best has a point here, and you helped make it. Yes, you ARE "joking," but can you imagine if someone came on here and made a bunch of stereotypical joke/observations about any protected group? I dont think the FYM woul be so tolerant of such behavior.

~U2Alabama

the Texas state legislature has passed laws based on a bunch of stereotypical joke/observations. "protected" group? what group would that be? certainly not gay people, as they're being actively assaulted.

Melon has a point -- in a representative democracy, you get the government you deserve. it's also not a secret that Texas is a very conservative state, especially in regards to privacy/sexuality issues with archaic laws like sodomy laws that haven't been removed from the books until 2003. there's more than enough evidence to support claims that Texas -- operating as a state, not individual Texans -- actively seeks to create and incubate an anti-gay environment. i don't see the difference, then, between people talking about how "america" does this and "the US" does that, when they are talking about foreign policy. what they are talking about is how a nation acts in the world, not the individual actions of american citizens.

i find criticism of Texas perfectly acceptable, and with stuff like this, often humor is one effective means of criticism (you know, mock the devil ...), but you are right that it is not fair to mock individual Texans, which i don't think anyone did.

Dreadsox said:

Is there a LOGICAL reason you would not want a child placed into a homosexual household?

I believe one argument put forward once (in here) was that children ideally need influence from a male and female, as each gender typically offers something the other doesn't. Buuuuuuut that opens the single parent can of worms which I find repulsive as single parents are some of the strongest and most resiliant people I know. They are undervalued and what they achieve is so often thankless. But I am sidetracking.

Irvine511 said:
but you are right that it is not fair to mock individual Texans, which i don't think anyone did.

So if someone made a stereotypical remark about gays, blacks, or women, that would be alright in here because why?

I think there is way to much stereotyping of people in general.

Irvine511 said:

i find criticism of Texas perfectly acceptable

What you said wasn't exactly criticism, Irvine. You said that all decent people in Texas lived in Austin. While that covers my sister and her family, it sure knocks the rest of my family out of the "decent" category.

And it wasn't a joke, Irvine. At least admit that. You really blieve that Austin is the greatest city in Texas because it is the most liberal. You look down on other cities because they are more conservative. That's pretty ironic, because you accuse those of us who think homosexuality is wrong of looking down upon homosexuals.

Irvine511 said:
but you are right that it is not fair to mock individual Texans, which i don't think anyone did.

Oh, so because you were speaking about a large group of Texans, rather than singling someone out, it's okay? I see.

Would you like it if I said:

Gays wear dog collars and march down public streets simulating sexual acts with whips and chains.

Is that okay, Irvine? I didn't single anyone out.

Last edited:
80sU2isBest said:

What you said wasn't exactly criticism, Irvine. You said that all decent people in Texas lived in Austin. While that covers my sister and her family, it sure knocks the rest of my family out of the "decent" category.

And it wasn't a joke, Irvine. At least admit that. You really blieve that Austin is the greatest city in Texas because it is the most liberal. You look down on other cities because they are more conservative. That's pretty ironic, because you accuse those of us who think homosexuality is wrong of looking down upon homosexuals.

Oh, so because you were speaking about a large group of Texans, rather than singling someone out, it's okay? I see.

Would you like it if I said:

Gays wear dog collars and march down public streets simulating sexual acts with whips and chains.

Is that okay, Irvine? I didn't single anyone out.

goodness.

i used the word "cool kids" -- if that isn't flip and joking, i don't know what is. i didn't say decent people, i said "cool" people, so stop putting words in my mouth, especially when the words in my mouth weren't very serious to begin with.

i have been to several cities in Texas, and Austin is my favorite. i also said i liked San Antonio -- and i hardly need to "admit" anything, as if you're capable of reading my thoughts.

there is, however, much truth to the liberalness of a city and its desirability as a place to live for what's known as the "creative class" -- people from all over the world who are highly educated and work in innovative industries. and in fact, we can say that gay people have almost literally saved America's cities from total ruin -- gay men, in particular, are terrific urban citizens, as they choose to live in cities and support the local arts, museums, book stores, craft stores, and cafes that create what's known as culture that you're not going to get from the box-y strip malls that line most interestates. to me, this makes a place much more deisreable to live, and it seemed to me that Austin has more of this than the other cities i've visited in Texas.

do i look down on other cities? hmmmm ... i wouldn't choose to live anywhere other than near a major urban center or college town, but i don't go around calling other places "immoral" or "sinful" or insist that God didn't make other cities in Texas devoid of culture.

and if you can't see the difference between Texans and the behavior of Texas, the state, much like i am an American who disagrees with much of what America, the country, does, then it's kind of pointless to have any sort of nuanced conversation.

Dreadsox said:

So if someone made a stereotypical remark about gays, blacks, or women, that would be alright in here because why?

I think there is way to much stereotyping of people in general.

agreed about stereotyping. i think earlier comments, meant to be light, are being taken way too seriously.

but we are comparing apples to oranges.

states make decisions and then act upon those decisions. whether it is to raise taxes, build a road, extend marriage equality, or cut funding from public schools.

groups of people -- jews, blacks, hispanics, rich white men -- do not have such a decision-making apparatus like a congress to make such decisions.

it is perfectly fair to criticize the actions of a state like Texas, and because we're smart people who see nuance know that the decisions made by Texas are not reflective of all Texas.

broaden it. America attacked Iraq. that is something America, the state, decided to do, and that decision can be fairly criticized. Americans who supported that decison through election can be fairly criticized. but, again, because we are intelligent people who can keep more than one thought in our heads at the same time, we can make criticisms and it should be implicitly understood that Americans, or Texans, do not all agree.

Irvine511 said:

goodness.

i used the word "cool kids" -- if that isn't flip and joking, i don't know what is. i didn't say decent people, i said "cool" people, so stop putting words in my mouth, especially when the words in my mouth weren't very serious to begin with.

i have been to several cities in Texas, and Austin is my favorite. i also said i liked San Antonio -- and i hardly need to "admit" anything, as if you're capable of reading my thoughts.

What are you talking about? Someone said "there may be decent people" in Texas, and you said "they all seem to live in Austin". What does that have to do with "cool kids"?

As for the other matter, I can't read minds, but I know from other conversations with you how you look at people who don't agree with you on the homosexuality issue; You look at us as hateful people who fuel hateful acts such as beating up gay people.

80sU2isBest said:

What are you talking about? Someone said "there may be decent people" in Texas, and you said "they all seem to live in Austin". What does that have to do with "cool kids"?

As for the other matter, I can't read minds, but I know from other conversations with you how you look at people who don't agree with you on the homosexuality issue; You look at us as hateful people who fuel hateful acts such as beating up gay people.

i'll say it one last time: homosexuality isn't an "issue;" the treatment of homosexuals is. but that's for another thread.

please go back and re-read -- i clearly said "all cool kids" are in Austin. if you're going to bring up minor points, you'd at least better be accurate.

i don't view you as hateful, i view you as contributing to a climate that breeds hate. your statements on homosexuality demonize gay people as abnormal, freaks of nature, perhaps even dangerous. at best, these statements bolster homophobes in their desire to continue discriminating against gays. at worst, they embolden gay bashers to continue their violence on the streets. you have every right to say whatever you want, but you better believe that i see it is my obligation to combat that speech.

why?

because the 16 year old gay kid in high school who's heard the "gay" taunt/slur his whole life needs to know that there's nothing wrong with him. that he's as worthy and worthwhile as his straight peers. that he shouldn't have to hate himself.

what i see as the #1 problem in the gay community is self-loathing. and your comments, whether intended or not, are at the root of this problem.

We've established that stereotyping of any kind does not make for a stimulating debate. Irvine explained his intentions and clearly did not mean a number of his comments to be taken seriously. Dreadsox has made an attempt to stick to the matter at hand.

Now, let us please continue in that direction.

Ant.

Dreadsox said:

The argument I've seen is that it doesn't promote a "normal" family, and that the children would realize that their parents were different from their friends' parents and the children in the gay families would somehow be affected. While I guess that it's true, they would be affected, in this logic we'd also have to prevent:

- single parents (as Angela pointed out)
- interracial couples
- divorced parents (where children are switching houses)
- foster parents

...all of which are out of the "norm". :shrug: So I guess that's not really a logical reason. Anyone else?

Irvine511 said:
gay people are a convenient excuse for all social maladies.

but isn't it straight people who are getting divorce and being horrible parents to the fucked-up, selfish brats they've spawned to replace themselves?

stand aside, straights; you've had your turn, and you've made a great big mess of things and we won't let you blame gay people for moral decline the way Hitler blamed the jews for hyper-inflation.

... kidding, but only sort of.

This is so true. Most of the neglected and screwed up kids I know come from hetrosexual homes.
Also, the gay community in my area have some of the most caring and loving people I know. I am sure they would make loving and caring parents for children who need homes.

Irvine511 said:

please go back and re-read -- i clearly said "all cool kids" are in Austin. if you're going to bring up minor points, you'd at least better be accurate.

i don't view you as hateful, i view you as contributing to a climate that breeds hate. your statements on homosexuality demonize gay people as abnormal, freaks of nature, perhaps even dangerous. at best, these statements bolster homophobes in their desire to continue discriminating against gays. at worst, they embolden gay bashers to continue their violence on the streets. you have every right to say whatever you want, but you better believe that i see it is my obligation to combat that speech.

why?

because the 16 year old gay kid in high school who's heard the "gay" taunt/slur his whole life needs to know that there's nothing wrong with him. that he's as worthy and worthwhile as his straight peers. that he shouldn't have to hate himself.

what i see as the #1 problem in the gay community is self-loathing. and your comments, whether intended or not, are at the root of this problem.

Irvine, you did in fact say that the decent people of Texas live in Austin. Go back and read the 7th post down on the first page of this thread.

As for my beliefs "demonizing gay people as abnormal, freaks of nature, perhaps even dangerous", that's just more nonsense. I don't demonize them at all. You think that because I view homosexuality as a sin, that means I demonize gays? Good grief! I sin alos, and so does every single straight person out there! Do I demonize myself, my friends, my family? Get it through your head, Irvine; I am not placing homosexuals on a level below anyone. We all sin. I don't go out yelling in people's faces that they're sinnig, but if I enter a discussion in which the behavior is dicussed, I'm going to express my opinion.

Okay, that's really enough. Let's try to move past the issue of Texas, Texans, and homosexuality in general, and return to what we all think of this particular situation in this particular thread. PLEASE.

Thanks.

There is no good reason to deny a homosexual couple the chance to become foster parents.

By the time a child is in foster care, their lives are already far from normal...they have probably seen and experienced much more of life than a child should ever have to. When a qualified foster parent is found, it should not matter if it consists of a married couple, a gay couple, 2 sisters or even a single parent...if they are willing and able provide a safe, stable home for a child who needs it, they should not be denied. Period.

Bono's American Wife said:
There is no good reason to deny a homosexual couple the chance to become foster parents.

By the time a child is in foster care, their lives are already far from normal...they have probably seen and experienced much more of life than a child should ever have to. When a qualified foster parent is found, it should not matter if it consists of a married couple, a gay couple, 2 sisters or even a single parent...if they are willing and able provide a safe, stable home for a child who needs it, they should not be denied. Period.

absolutely.

Pax: i do think attitudes towards homsexuality, such as those presented by 80s, (that it is "sinful" or unintended by God) are at the root of issues like this. there's no question that many families are in crisis, that there are many bad parents, and there are many kids trapped in bad homes, or with no homes at all. measures like this one in Texas are designed to appeal to a specific portion of the populace that accepts the premise that homosexuality is sinful, or wrong, or unnatural, or an "objective disorder" like JPII said -- politicians take this belief and use it to project the image that they are doing something to "protect" the disintigrating family by scapegoating a vulnerable minority of people and saying, essentialy, "our children don't need to be protected from bad parents; they need to be protected from gay parents." this has the double-effect of 1) hurting gay people even more, 2) hurting children who might find great gay parents, 3) not addressing the issue at hand and going for the cheap, quick-fix. it's easier than providing affordable day care, quality Head Start programs, quality foster care, supporting state child welfare services, supporting parenting classes, spending money on quality schools.

but, heck, if taxes are low and our gays are marginalized, then all must be well.

Last edited:
Bono's American Wife said:

:up:. Exactly.

Angela

If we ALL sin...80's....and no one sin is different from another.....

Is it acceptable to have homosexuals adopt?

because it's not normal? what's next? Pretty soon Texas is going to make a law that I can't have kids with my future husband because I'm a Christian and he's -- OMG! -- Jewish!!!!! That's not normal. Most families have parents with the same religion. The kid will be so confused. Does he celebrate Christmas or Hanakkuh? OMG! Must pass a law.

That being said, how many times have we heard about kids bouncing from one foster home to another? Or kids being beaten by their foster parents? Maybe the problem is not that there are not enough social workers to watch every foster parents but there are not enough straight couples willing to be foster parents.

The stars at night are big and bright :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:deep in the heart of Texas.:wink:

I admit my home state has it's issues, but it's still a beautiful place. And there's a whole new crop of new young politicians that are trying to get there foot in the door and change some things. My cousin is one and will be running for Congress soon.

Maggie1 said:

This is so true. Most of the neglected and screwed up kids I know come from hetrosexual homes.
Also, the gay community in my area have some of the most caring and loving people I know. I am sure they would make loving and caring parents for children who need homes.
But wouldn't it be fair to say that >90% of the kids you know come from heterosexual homes.

Back
Top Bottom