Texas votes to ban Gay Foster Parents - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2005, 08:08 AM   #46
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
gay people are a convenient excuse for all social maladies.

but isn't it straight people who are getting divorce and being horrible parents to the fucked-up, selfish brats they've spawned to replace themselves?

stand aside, straights; you've had your turn, and you've made a great big mess of things and we won't let you blame gay people for moral decline the way Hitler blamed the jews for hyper-inflation.

... kidding, but only sort of.
This is so true. Most of the neglected and screwed up kids I know come from hetrosexual homes.
Also, the gay community in my area have some of the most caring and loving people I know. I am sure they would make loving and caring parents for children who need homes.

Old 04-22-2005, 08:36 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

please go back and re-read -- i clearly said "all cool kids" are in Austin. if you're going to bring up minor points, you'd at least better be accurate.

i don't view you as hateful, i view you as contributing to a climate that breeds hate. your statements on homosexuality demonize gay people as abnormal, freaks of nature, perhaps even dangerous. at best, these statements bolster homophobes in their desire to continue discriminating against gays. at worst, they embolden gay bashers to continue their violence on the streets. you have every right to say whatever you want, but you better believe that i see it is my obligation to combat that speech.

why?

because the 16 year old gay kid in high school who's heard the "gay" taunt/slur his whole life needs to know that there's nothing wrong with him. that he's as worthy and worthwhile as his straight peers. that he shouldn't have to hate himself.

what i see as the #1 problem in the gay community is self-loathing. and your comments, whether intended or not, are at the root of this problem.
Irvine, you did in fact say that the decent people of Texas live in Austin. Go back and read the 7th post down on the first page of this thread.

As for my beliefs "demonizing gay people as abnormal, freaks of nature, perhaps even dangerous", that's just more nonsense. I don't demonize them at all. You think that because I view homosexuality as a sin, that means I demonize gays? Good grief! I sin alos, and so does every single straight person out there! Do I demonize myself, my friends, my family? Get it through your head, Irvine; I am not placing homosexuals on a level below anyone. We all sin. I don't go out yelling in people's faces that they're sinnig, but if I enter a discussion in which the behavior is dicussed, I'm going to express my opinion.

Old 04-22-2005, 08:39 AM   #48
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:50 PM
Okay, that's really enough. Let's try to move past the issue of Texas, Texans, and homosexuality in general, and return to what we all think of this particular situation in this particular thread. PLEASE.

Thanks.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:55 AM   #49
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 03:50 PM
There is no good reason to deny a homosexual couple the chance to become foster parents.

By the time a child is in foster care, their lives are already far from normal...they have probably seen and experienced much more of life than a child should ever have to. When a qualified foster parent is found, it should not matter if it consists of a married couple, a gay couple, 2 sisters or even a single parent...if they are willing and able provide a safe, stable home for a child who needs it, they should not be denied. Period.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:03 AM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife
There is no good reason to deny a homosexual couple the chance to become foster parents.

By the time a child is in foster care, their lives are already far from normal...they have probably seen and experienced much more of life than a child should ever have to. When a qualified foster parent is found, it should not matter if it consists of a married couple, a gay couple, 2 sisters or even a single parent...if they are willing and able provide a safe, stable home for a child who needs it, they should not be denied. Period.

absolutely.

Pax: i do think attitudes towards homsexuality, such as those presented by 80s, (that it is "sinful" or unintended by God) are at the root of issues like this. there's no question that many families are in crisis, that there are many bad parents, and there are many kids trapped in bad homes, or with no homes at all. measures like this one in Texas are designed to appeal to a specific portion of the populace that accepts the premise that homosexuality is sinful, or wrong, or unnatural, or an "objective disorder" like JPII said -- politicians take this belief and use it to project the image that they are doing something to "protect" the disintigrating family by scapegoating a vulnerable minority of people and saying, essentialy, "our children don't need to be protected from bad parents; they need to be protected from gay parents." this has the double-effect of 1) hurting gay people even more, 2) hurting children who might find great gay parents, 3) not addressing the issue at hand and going for the cheap, quick-fix. it's easier than providing affordable day care, quality Head Start programs, quality foster care, supporting state child welfare services, supporting parenting classes, spending money on quality schools.

but, heck, if taxes are low and our gays are marginalized, then all must be well.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:00 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

. Exactly.

Angela
Old 04-22-2005, 10:48 AM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

If we ALL sin...80's....and no one sin is different from another.....

Is it acceptable to have homosexuals adopt?
Old 04-22-2005, 11:39 AM   #53
New Yorker

because it's not normal? what's next? Pretty soon Texas is going to make a law that I can't have kids with my future husband because I'm a Christian and he's -- OMG! -- Jewish!!!!! That's not normal. Most families have parents with the same religion. The kid will be so confused. Does he celebrate Christmas or Hanakkuh? OMG! Must pass a law.

That being said, how many times have we heard about kids bouncing from one foster home to another? Or kids being beaten by their foster parents? Maybe the problem is not that there are not enough social workers to watch every foster parents but there are not enough straight couples willing to be foster parents.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:27 PM   #54
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:50 PM
The stars at night are big and bright deep in the heart of Texas.

I admit my home state has it's issues, but it's still a beautiful place. And there's a whole new crop of new young politicians that are trying to get there foot in the door and change some things. My cousin is one and will be running for Congress soon.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:11 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Maggie1

This is so true. Most of the neglected and screwed up kids I know come from hetrosexual homes.
Also, the gay community in my area have some of the most caring and loving people I know. I am sure they would make loving and caring parents for children who need homes.
But wouldn't it be fair to say that >90% of the kids you know come from heterosexual homes.