Texas votes to ban Gay Foster Parents - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2005, 03:07 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
gay people are a convenient excuse for all social maladies.

but isn't it straight people who are getting divorce and being horrible parents to the fucked-up, selfish brats they've spawned to replace themselves?

stand aside, straights; you've had your turn, and you've made a great big mess of things and we won't let you blame gay people for moral decline the way Hitler blamed the jews for hyper-inflation.

... kidding, but only sort of.
Every joke has a background of reality.

No offense, but I completely disagree with the post even if you don't really mean just a touch of the things that you are saying... I am afraid that we should not confuse the right of gay couples to be foster parents with saying that they are better than straight parents.

I have nothing against gay parents, but I think that they should be considered as an alternative to the straight family... if a child does not have a family, then for sure that gay parents are much better than letting them be as orphans.

Old 04-21-2005, 03:15 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:45 PM
I think this stems from the innane ridiculous perception by the small-minded that gay people are pedophiles. I have argued with people that gay men like other gay men, NOT children. Some people live on stereotypical myths especially in my small town. The fact that this kind of thinking exists in 2005 disturbs me.

Old 04-21-2005, 03:22 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 03:15 AM
Quote:
Austin rules. has U of Texas, with over 40,000 students, and the best live music scene in the US. tie that in with Texas BBQ and it's reputation as an island of sanity in a sea of madness, and all the cool kids of Texas flock there.
Well, my comment was made towards the article in question, really. Strangely enough, I have been to Texas (the only part of the USA I've actually been to), and I did visit Austin and San Antonio. I was impressed with how 'neat' everything was. And big. 'Big' and 'neat' seem to be the key words when describing those towns. Anyway, it was fun enough.

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 04-21-2005, 07:15 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

ugh...this is just baseless hate-mongering, and I'm ashamed that we have *elected officials* in this country who behave like this. it's ridiculous.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:26 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

i think the state of Texas should spend their time worrying about insane people from harming their children, like, you know, Andrea Yates.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:12 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Melon

I only need one word: "Texas."
Melon

Quote:
Originally posted by saltwaterkisses26

I'll agree with that if it passes. If not, maybe there's still some decent people down there. (One can only hope...)
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

they all seem to live in Austin.
*great* town.
Hypocrisy, anyone? You preach tolerance and love and understanding, and yet you see nothing wrong with stereotyping almost the entire population of a huge state.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:15 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Hypocrisy, anyone? You preach tolerance and love and understanding, and yet you see nothing wrong with stereotyping almost the entire population of a huge state.

um, we're joking, not passing laws.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:37 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:15 PM

Irvine, I think 80sU2_Is_The_Best has a point here, and you helped make it. Yes, you ARE "joking," but can you imagine if someone came on here and made a bunch of stereotypical joke/observations about any protected group? I dont think the FYM woul be so tolerant of such behavior.

~U2Alabama
Old 04-21-2005, 09:16 PM   #24
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:15 PM
Mmmmmm, I'm inclined to agree with Bama and 80s here, actually.

Let's all be aware of the inanity and potential harm of stereotypes. I'm sure that Texas has its share of the wacko and the rational, the kind and the not-so-kind, in ratios similar to Idaho and Massachusetts and, I don't know, Iceland.

Okay, I understand the Icelandic are a very friendly people.

See? Another stereotype.

Okay, seriously...let's take it easy on Texas.

Thanks.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:26 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by pax
Mmmmmm, I'm inclined to agree with Bama and 80s here, actually.

Let's all be aware of the inanity and potential harm of stereotypes. I'm sure that Texas has its share of the wacko and the rational, the kind and the not-so-kind, in ratios similar to Idaho and Massachusetts and, I don't know, Iceland.

Okay, I understand the Icelandic are a very friendly people.

See? Another stereotype.

Okay, seriously...let's take it easy on Texas.

Thanks.
Thank you. All moderators are wonderful people!

Ok, that's a sterotype...but you are wonderful, Pax.

Okay now, that's sucking up...but hey, I've broken a stereotype that time - we texans aren't known for sucking up.

But suck up or no, doesn't make it any less true...

Oh I'm losing my mind...time to go to bed.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:36 PM   #26
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Ah, it's nice to have you back, 80s.

Seriously, it is.

Man, I shouldn't try to moderate after midnight.

'Night, kids.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:04 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
Well, when such aforementioned state sees nothing wrong with stereotyping an entire subordinate hegemony of people, I tend to reciprocate as appropriate.

When the Texas legislators are nothing more than small-minded bigots--Democrat and Republican alike--they are only a reflection of the people who voted them in.

Melon
Old 04-21-2005, 10:09 PM   #28
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Well, when such aforementioned state sees nothing wrong with stereotyping an entire subordinate hegemony of people, I tend to reciprocate as appropriate.

When the Texas legislators are nothing more than small-minded bigots--Democrat and Republican alike--they are only a reflection of the people who voted them in.

Melon
Come on, Melon, you know that's totally unfair. Even if you don't like the Texas legislature--and you certainly don't have to--people surely voted against some those legislators. Or voted for them, but now regret those votes. You simply cannot judge an entire state of a few million people on the basis of just a few. You know that.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:11 PM   #29
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:15 PM
Same can be said for greater America then. You're all Bush loving warmongering apes who take great pride in blowing the shit out of the Middle East. After all, Bush is a reflection of the people who voted him in.

Isn't this getting tiring yet?
Old 04-21-2005, 10:15 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by pax
Come on, Melon, you know that's totally unfair. Even if you don't like the Texas legislature--and you certainly don't have to--people surely voted against some those legislators. Or voted for them, but now regret those votes. You simply cannot judge an entire state of a few million people on the basis of just a few. You know that.
I judge states on the basis of how they vote on gay issues. Like those 11+ states that voted for "Defense of Marriage" amendments. Even "liberal" old Oregon registered around 60%, didn't it?

Pathetic. And if Angela Harlem wasn't being sarcastic, the misanthrope in me would be inclined to agree with her statement.

Melon