terrorist attack in Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
Last Friday a suicide bomber tried to blow up the Justice Ministiry in Ankara. Fortunately no one besides the bomber was hurt. The cops shot him; the bomb didn't go off. The government said that the purpose of the attack was to kill the Justice Minister and disrupt the peace in the country. Disgusting. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Nuts.

I love Turkey and their people (have traveled there several times for work) and it is a shame that these maniacs want to mess the country's integration with Europe.

U2@NYC said:

:huh:

What do you mean?

The Turks and the Armenians don't like each other. That's putting it mildly. I won't get into the particulars of the enmity, I'll just say it's for real.

Yes, they have a messy past stretching back to the Ottoman Empire, but there's also issues with Armenian occupation of "Nagorno-Karabakh" in Azerbaijan right now, and Turkey retaliated by sealing its borders with Armenia in the early 1990s stretching up to today. Armenia, on the other hand, accuses Turkey of genocide in the last years of the Ottoman Empire, while Turkey denies it ever happened. Very messy indeed.

This, of course, is besides the point. This conflict has not extended into Armenian terrorism in Turkey, as far as I know. It would be unrelated to this attack, most likely.

Melon

Thanks for clarifying.

I am also hoping that this situation with the Armenians does not develop into terrorism.

VertigoGal said:
I understand their past, but would be the goal of Armenian terrorism in Turkey today?

Again, there's not any details listed here about the terrorist attack. Suicide bombers sympathetic to Al Qaeda are most likely the ones responsible, as they are mad about Turkey's secular government and friendly relationship with the United States.

Armenians are Christians, and suicide bombings are, for better or for worse, only a hallmark of Islamic terrorism.

Melon

And Tamils in Sri Lanka. Turkey has problems with the PKK and they are not openly Islamist.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom