Terrorism Victory - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-27-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 05:21 PM
Terrorism Victory

Quote:
A leading German opera house has canceled performances of a Mozart opera because of security fears stirred by a scene that depicts the severed head of the Prophet Muhammad, prompting a storm of protest here about the renunciation of artistic freedom.

The Deutsche Oper in Berlin said it had pulled “Idomeneo” from its fall schedule after the police warned that the staging of the opera could pose an “incalculable risk” to the performers and the audience.

Political and cultural figures throughout Germany condemned the cancellation, which is without precedent here. Some said it recalled the decision of European newspapers not to print satirical cartoons about Muhammad, after their publication in Denmark generated a furor among Muslims ...

Michael Naumann, a former German culture minister, said, “It’s a slap in the face of artistic freedom, by the artists themselves."
link

Somehow I doubt that the severed heads of Buddha, Jesus or Posiedon have anything to do with this. Offend religion, offend any religion - if there ever comes a point where you are not able to do so from fear it is a dark day indeed.
__________________

__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 09-27-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 03:21 AM
It can be seen as art, it can be seen as blasphemous.

Why not just call it blasphemous art?
__________________

__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 09-27-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
Refugee
 
adrball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nightclub in Tripoli
Posts: 1,733
Local Time: 08:21 AM
Would be interesting to hear the views of the muslim 'community' about this cancellation, whilst they avoid outright condemnation of Muslim freedom fighters who commit beheadings on a seemingly daily basis.
__________________
adrball is offline  
Old 09-27-2006, 01:10 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 09:21 AM
How much longer is the world gonna act like a pussycat in the lion's den of those Islamic fundamentalist bastards?
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 09-27-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
How much longer is the world gonna act like a pussycat in the lion's den of those Islamic fundamentalist bastards?
I wouldn't expect Islamic fundamentalist "bastards" to be the only Muslims to take offense to this.

How I hate taking sides on issues like this.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 09-27-2006, 01:18 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I wouldn't expect Islamic fundamentalist "bastards" to be the only Muslims to take offense to this.
That's why I made sure to use the word 'fundamentalist'.
__________________
Zoots is offline  
Old 09-27-2006, 01:19 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque


That's why I made sure to use the word 'fundamentalist'.
Fair enough.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 09-27-2006, 01:33 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I wouldn't expect Islamic fundamentalist "bastards" to be the only Muslims to take offense to this.

How I hate taking sides on issues like this.
What are you talking about it is very clear cut, the right to free expression must trump sensitivity considerations - be it blasphemous cartoons or offensive song lyrics, the fact this was done in fear of violence from sections within a religious group makes it all the more worrying.
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 09-27-2006, 01:36 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
What are you talking about it is very clear cut, the right to free expression must trump sensitivity considerations - be it blasphemous cartoons or offensive song lyrics, the fact this was done in fear of violence from sections within a religious group makes it all the more worrying.
Then rings the question - is it tax-funded?

Blasphemous art like "Piss Christ" should not be supported by my tax dollars.

If not, then to each his own.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 09-27-2006, 01:37 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
What are you talking about it is very clear cut, the right to free expression must trump sensitivity considerations - be it blasphemous cartoons or offensive song lyrics, the fact this was done in fear of violence from sections within a religious group makes it all the more worrying.


agreed.

which is why we should celebrate the following works of art:






the film Priest
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 09-27-2006, 01:45 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 12:21 AM
"celebrate" a crucifix dropped in urine? Go right ahead. You probably also celebrate the "booger ball" exibit as well (the art exhibit where artists collected their boogers into a ball over the course of two years).

People are of course free to "celebrate" this stuff of course. Freedom has its drawbacks.

But also agree that none of this should be publicly funded. I believe in a firm Seperation of "Art" and State.

"They don't know what you're doing
Babe, it must be art" - Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me - U2
__________________
AEON is offline  
Old 09-27-2006, 01:45 PM   #12
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 08:21 AM
According to Deutsche Welle the German Interior Minister (Schaeuble), together with a conference of 30 representatives of various German Muslim umbrella groups, issued a call supporting the staging, and agreeing to jointly attend a performance should it be reinstated. I haven't seen any stories which provided much information about who these representatives were (in fact, I haven't seen many stories which even mentioned that this conference occurred, period) but a few who have been named were Kenan Kolat, a spokesman for an association of Turkish Muslim groups; Aiman Mazyek, general secretary of the Central Council of Muslims; and Ali Ertran Toprak, an Alawite Shiite community representative.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 09-27-2006, 01:56 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON
"celebrate" a crucifix dropped in urine? Go right ahead. You probably also celebrate the "booger ball" exibit as well (the art exhibit where artists collected their boogers into a ball over the course of two years).

People are of course free to "celebrate" this stuff of course. Freedom has its drawbacks.


we can all celebrate the right of the artist to create whatever art he wants -- and when does "taste" become a prerequisite of the NEA?

i find the Iraq War rather tasteless, and i don't celebrate it, but my tax dollars still go to support it.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 09-27-2006, 02:02 PM   #14
Refugee
 
adrball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nightclub in Tripoli
Posts: 1,733
Local Time: 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
According to Deutsche Welle the German Interior Minister (Schaeuble), together with a conference of 30 representatives of various German Muslim umbrella groups, issued a call supporting the staging, and agreeing to jointly attend a performance should it be reinstated.
Wow, that shocked be. Pleasantly.

Danish cartoons are no longer required as a forum for freedom of expression.
__________________
adrball is offline  
Old 09-27-2006, 02:13 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
we can all celebrate the right of the artist to create whatever art he wants -- and when does "taste" become a prerequisite of the NEA?

i find the Iraq War rather tasteless, and i don't celebrate it, but my tax dollars still go to support it.
The Iraq War is not a work of art, and has nothing to do with free speech.
__________________

__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com