Terminally Ill Man To Be Executed - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2007, 10:28 AM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

The fact this man had cancer and was frail is really immaterial in the end: if you are anti-death penalty, then the argument applies equally to him and a perfectly healthy, young man on death row.
That's a good point, this could *almost* be a good argument for the merits of assisted suicide, although suicide is murder.

He's been sentenced to die, and is dying, why make him suffer anymore?

Let him move on sooner than later to the hereafter and work out with his existence with his Maker.

dbs

Old 06-27-2007, 10:30 AM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

He's been sentenced to die, and is dying, why make him suffer anymore?

Let him move on sooner than later to the hereafter and work out with his existence with his Maker.

dbs
Do you support euthanasia?

Old 06-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #63
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:29 AM
Quote:

That's a good point, this could *almost* be a good argument for the merits of assisted suicide
Well one is not by choice, so really that's moot.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:54 AM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by unico

Do you support euthanasia?
Usually no, but in some rare circumstances passive euthanasia.

dbs
Old 06-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Usually no, but in some rare circumstances passive euthanasia.

dbs
What is passive euthanasia, if you don't mind? At least, your own definition of it. I've actually never heard of it.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:04 AM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

just one thing that often gets lost -- some states execute lots of people (Texas) whereas in other states it is illegal. the federal government doesn't execute citizens, state governments do.
Point.

However, the US does have a federal death penalty for certain federal crimes.

My state, Michigan, abolished the death penalty in 1846, which I think is earlier than other countries like the UK.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:08 AM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje

Point.

My state, Michigan, abolished the death penalty in 1846, which I think is earlier than other countries like the UK.
make room for 2! Bailey and I are moving in.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:11 AM   #68
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

good point.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:30 AM   #69
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

yes, otherwise we would be in complete chaos.

so yes we have to exercise judgement while not being hypocrites.
dbs
you see, to a certain point, we must to avoid chaos, with something like prison.

but how are you able to judge death? how can a government judge death? why should we send a person to the afterlife earlier than supposed to? what would be the harm in letting that person stay in prison for life? have you heard of cases in which people have been let free after many years in prison because they found new evidence? it happens. so why take a life that could be "innocent"?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:01 PM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

you see, to a certain point, we must to avoid chaos, with something like prison.

but how are you able to judge death? how can a government judge death? why should we send a person to the afterlife earlier than supposed to? what would be the harm in letting that person stay in prison for life? have you heard of cases in which people have been let free after many years in prison because they found new evidence? it happens. so why take a life that could be "innocent"?
Christ never said there should be no death penalty.

And I understand your point, it's a very good point, and that's why one has to absolutely certain that the person being put to death is guilty of the crime.
I have no problem with DNA evidence vindicating a condemned prisoner.

For the ppl that were wrongly put the death, that responsibility falls on the prosecutor's shoulder, he or she will have to answer for the innocent lives they took, what they knew, and what they did. Not a pretty sight for some prosecutors in the hereafter.

The flip side of the argument is that there have been convicted murderers that after having served their sentence went out and killed again. What do you say about that?
That wouldn't have happened if the were put to death in the first place.

dbs
Old 06-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

I don't understand being for or against the death penalty based on emotional interpretations of innocence and guilt. If people are in favor of the DP, fine, that's their right, but just own up to it, don't try to sugar coat it with flawed Biblical exegesis.

Besides, NO ONE is "innocent" in the eyes of the Lord. Mayhaps we should just all nuke ourselves then?

Quote:
The flip side of the argument is that there have been convicted murderers that after having served their sentence went out and killed again. What do you say about that?
The flip side is that people have been sentenced to death who were not guilty. Oh, and that there's no evidence to support that having the death penalty deters crime. I'm not saying you don't have a point worth considering, but you definitely don't have a point worth elevating above the fact that innocent people have been sent to jail to be executed and not-so-innocent people still kill people everyday and don't give a rip whether the death penalty exists.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:08 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by unico

make room for 2! Bailey and I are moving in.
I should have also mentioned that Michigan is still the 49th WORSE economy in the US.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

That wouldn't have happened if the were put to death in the first place.

dbs
does that speak to the individuals themselves or to the state's criminal rehabilitation programs?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:58 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:29 AM
Well the answer to that issue is don't let convicted murderers walk free.

Personally, the possibility that an innocent person could be executed trumps everything else.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #75
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I don't understand being for or against the death penalty based on emotional interpretations of innocence and guilt. If people are in favor of the DP, fine, that's their right, but just own up to it, don't try to sugar coat it with flawed Biblical exegesis.

Besides, NO ONE is "innocent" in the eyes of the Lord. Mayhaps we should just all nuke ourselves then?

The flip side is that people have been sentenced to death who were not guilty.

Oh, and that there's no evidence to support that having the death penalty deters crime.

I'm not saying you don't have a point worth considering, but you definitely don't have a point worth elevating above the fact that innocent people have been sent to jail to be executed and not-so-innocent people still kill people everyday and don't give a rip whether the death penalty exists.
Quote:
The flip side is that people have been sentenced to death who were not guilty.
I guess you glossed over or ignored this :
Christ never said there should be no death penalty.
And I understand your point, it's a very good point, and that's why one has to absolutely certain that the person being put to death is guilty of the crime. For the ppl that were wrongly put the death, that responsibility falls on the prosecutor's shoulder, he or she will have to answer for the innocent lives they took, what they knew, and what they did. Not a pretty sight for some prosecutors in the hereafter.

Quote:
I don't agree with that. Children are innocent, Christ said so.

And I think we understand the what the purpose of our lives differently as well.

Even though you and I understand scripture differently and disagree on the death penalty whether the death penalty is or isn't effective as a deterent, some *innocent* ppl would still be alive had the death penalty been issued in the above noted circumstances. I'm not responsible for ppl who choose evil whether or not there is a death penalty or not. God has allowed ppl to have free will for his purpopses. It's up for us to decide in this life, whether we aceppt his Son or not, and by giving us free will he let's us govern ourselves.

dbs