Ter. Heinz-Kerry: potentially the worst 1st Lady we've had ..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Poor speaking skills and even worse temper.. She's not anywhere close to being in the same league as:

Laura Bush- well spoken and charming
Clinton- Smarter than Willy several times over. I would never vote for her but if anyone deserved to be the original "First Husband" .........
B Bush- grandmotherly and witty
Reagan- terrific lady. did well with charity work
Carter- Southern charm
Ford- Okay, a pill popping drunk but her husband used the ramp of air force one as his own personal sliding board so give her a break.
Nixon- too young to remember her but seamed OK.
Johnson- before my time
Kennedy- schwing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd like to take issue with your assesment of Betty Ford.

I've watched a few shows this week on First Ladies, and when they spoke of her they showed her as a pioneer in that when she was diagnosed with breast cancer she came out in public and said so, and millions of women went out and got exams who otherwise wouldn't have as a result. Also, she was outspoken and opinionated herself (much like Teresa Heinz Kerry), and was very much for women's rights. As for her being a "pill popping drunk", she also came out and publicly admitted this, and eventually opened up the Betty Ford center which has helped people like herself with their addictions.

I also take offense with how each Lady is summed up in just a little sentence. Each of those women brought more to the table than most of us will ever know.

The most of men can be summed up with single sentences - I would imagine that the same goes for women.

I like Betty Ford. She's a gutsy, honest person who wasn't afraid to pioneer addiction treatment. It was very socially unacceptable before she did it. Being First Lady is very stressful. After she did it millions of addicts were no longer afraid to seek treatment. That was a hell of an accomplishment.

Wow, that was a really sweet thing to say about Betty Ford, Clark.

I have no problems discussing the merits of various First Ladies, but let's keep in mind that, realistically, the sole requirement to be First Lady is to be married to the dude who wins the election. It's not like we can pick one like we pick the President.

For me, it's enough that a man like John Kerry picked Teresa Heinz to be his wife, and she picked him to marry. I think that speaks well for both of them.

One more thing: I don't like this new FYM tradition of tossing off one-liners in hopes that people will admire your pithy-yet-forthright eye-rolling wit. I miss the days when people would actually want to discuss things in depth. You can't moderate for that, obviously, but it's something to think about.

Any comments about cookie-baking, feminazis, pill-popping drunks, or conspiracies of either wing will get this thread closed, no questions asked.

Byes! :)

Wait a minute you just mentioned those things in your own post, and the title defies causality - my mind is melting with unphisical events.

Last edited:
In the final analysis, it doesn't matter who is the First Lady because she has no official government duties.

The important thing to focus on is:ARE YOU BETTER OFF THAN YOU WERE FOUR YEARS AGO? :ohmy:

By the weak performance of the economy as it affects the average American, the rise in poverty in the USA, the MASSIVE DEFICIT THAT STANDS TO BANKRUPT THE AMERICAN ECONOMY, the corporate taxbreaks that rewards the rich at the expense of the poor in the USA, the continued threat to our environment by the Bush Administration so that it can allow companies to destroy our national parks and....

the WAR WITH NO END. THE QUICKSAND CALLED IRAQ which continues to suck the blood out of the American economy and divides this country - THESE ARE THE ISSUES IMPORTANT TO THIS ELECTION - not how charming the First Lady will be! :tsk:

The First Lady is not our mommy - but her husband will either lead this country to a more economically stable future well respected by other countries

or continue to destroy the fabric of the American economy in his foolhardy pursuit of his ego-driven attempt to rule the world. :|

DEFINITELY TIME FOR REGIME CHANGE....:yes:

Why is it that whenever a 1st lady, or a potential 1st lady, appears to be something more than just a Stepford Wife, she's hammered by the right wing media machine and its cult of lemmings.

Ain't none of 'em Eleanor :bow:

"No one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

"Either we're all going to die together, or we're going to learn to live together, and if we're to live together, we have to talk"

:up: :heart:

SD

PS Bono would make a great First Husband of Ireland :p Ali :up: :yes:

paxetaurora said:

name and town, name and town, name and town, name and town, name and town, name and town, name and town name and town, name and town.

if kerry wins i'm sure thk will provide us with a plethora of humorous sound bytes. look on the bright side.

LPU2 said:
Why is it that whenever a 1st lady, or a potential 1st lady, appears to be something more than just a Stepford Wife, she's hammered by the right wing media machine and its cult of lemmings.

Yup.

And I don't much care who is the First Lady (or First Husband or First Significant Other, or First Insignificant Other, or even the, umm... bit on the side), I'm interested in who is going to be the better president.

Ya know, maybe we need a strong woman who has her own opinions to make people realize that a First Lady should not be just an ornament. I didn't like the fact that Bill put Hillary in charge of the health care plan in his first term, but I didn't like that because she was not qualified to deal with health care issues with her background, not because she was a woman. Theresa would be a great First Lady. I'd rather have an opinionated First Lady like Theresa than the vapid hood ornament that is Laura Bush. And as for her "poor speaking skills" she was raised in another country and speaks several languages. So she has an accent. So what?

teresa would be the first lady to utter phrases publicly
'scumbag'
'shove it'
'shut up'

and be proud of it.

there is something unseemly about that inwich it makes the average american very uncomfortable.

she has an approvable rating in the mid 20's:hmm:

sharky said:
Ya know, maybe we need a strong woman who has her own opinions to make people realize that a First Lady should not be just an ornament. I didn't like the fact that Bill put Hillary in charge of the health care plan in his first term, but I didn't like that because she was not qualified to deal with health care issues with her background, not because she was a woman. Theresa would be a great First Lady. I'd rather have an opinionated First Lady like Theresa than the vapid hood ornament that is Laura Bush. And as for her "poor speaking skills" she was raised in another country and speaks several languages. So she has an accent. So what?

:up:

Just what is it about a strong woman that is SO threatening to some people? It bugs the HELL out of me to see Laura Bush with that plastic smile on her face looking adoringly at GW...she is the very definition of a robotic Stepford Wife.

Smile pretty, wave to the crowd, be a good little girl :yuck:

Mrs. Ketchup as some not so affectionately call her may have her flaws but I find a flawed human being so much more interesting than a cookie cutter version of the perfect First Lady.

http://www.northrup.org/Photos/Animals/low/billy-goat-profile1.jpg
billy-goat-profile1.jpg[IMG]http:
[/IMG]
Mrs Ketchup?:wink:

diamond said:
'scumbag'
'shove it'
'shut up'

and be proud of it.

there is something unseemly about that inwich it makes the average american very uncomfortable.

And GWB was the first president to utter words like "nukular" in public and be proud of it. To me that is much more unseemly and should have made every American not only very uncomfortable but very concerned.

I think Teresa rocks. :up:

In fairness to Laura Bush, though, I remember her speaking some bold opinions during the 2000 campaign. For example, she stated that she was pro-choice and was against Roe v. Wade being overturned. Seems like she has been silenced by the administration ever since.

Clark W. Griswold said:
Poor speaking skills

Since that is obviously not even a requirement for becoming a President in the USA, why is it a determinant of the appropriateness of a First Lady?

Besides that, I hardly think that this is an issue worth squabbling about.

diamond said:
'scumbag'
'shove it'
'shut up'

and be proud of it.

So it's not ok for Theresa to say that but it's ok for Cheney to tell someone to fuck off on the floor of the U.S. Senate? It's ok for Bush to say a reporter a major league asshole? D, if you're using shove it and scumbag as a standard, there is no way in hell you should be getting anywhere near the Bush-Cheney lever on Nov. 2.

Maybe we should give Teresa her own personal :censored: sign. Just joking, I like her. I agree with sharky, she hasn't told anybody to get f:censored:d or called anyone a major league :censored:hole. I have no trouble with "shove it".

im not running for office.
im a comedian:angry:
like jon stewart.:)

she doesn't look exactly like a common farm animal however her mannerisms have approached that realm:sexywink:

thank u
db9
:)

Back
Top Bottom