Tennessee Tyson Plant Drops Labor Day For Muslim Holiday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Check out the comments

Plant Drops Labor Day For Muslim Holiday - Nashville News Story - WSMV Nashville

"Welcome to Obamadinejads Amerika", just for starters. And of course they will boycott Tyson.

Plant Drops Labor Day For Muslim Holiday
More Than Half Of Tyson Plant's Workforce Muslim

POSTED: 12:18 pm CDT August 1, 2008

SHELBYVILLE, Tenn. -- Some workers at a local plant will no longer to be able to take their Labor Day holiday because of religious reasons.

Workers at the Tyson Foods poultry processing plant in Shelbyville will no longer have a paid day off on Labor Day but will instead be granted the Muslim holiday Eid al-Fitr.

According to a news release from the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union, a new five-year contract at the plant included the change to accommodate Muslim workers at the plant.

Tyson's director of media relations Gary Mickelson said the contract includes eight paid holidays -- the same number as the old contract.

Eid al-Fitr -- which falls on Oct. 1 this year -- marks the end of Ramadan, the Muslim holy month of fasting.

Union leaders said implementing the holiday was important for the nearly 700 Muslims, many of them Somalis, who work at the plant that employs a total of 1,200 people.

Nineteen-year plant veteran William Pentecost doesn’t agree with the decision.

"I don’t think it's right. I really don't think it's right," he said.

Tyson company spokeswoman Libby Lawson said by phone that, "This isn't a religious accommodation, this is a contractual agreement. The majority asked for it."

The change didn’t bother some workers.

"I think it's fine. I don’t have any problem with it. There's a whole bunch of them here, so they've got to do something for them," said worker John Smith.

"It shouldn't happen. I mean, I think, we're in America, you're in America, I think that they should go with our holidays," Pentecost said.

Channel 4's Cynthia Williams could not reach any of the plant’s Muslim workers, because Channel 4 News' crew was not permitted on the property.

Former employee and Shelbyville resident Anthony Proctor said he thinks what's happening is wrong.

He said he helped build a special Muslim prayer room that's located inside the plant and that no other Tyson facility has been that accommodating for any other religion.

"If we want to go pray, we don’t have one for Christians," he said.

Tyson is headquartered in Arkansas.

Lawson said they consider religious accommodations on a case-by-case basis. She said that so far, no one has asked for any other type of religious prayer room.

No one at the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union’s regional office answered phone calls placed by Williams on Friday.

A representative in New York said that no one there knew specifics about the new contract with the workers, but a person in research told Williams that holidays aren't usually replaced and are more likely to be added on.

The decision will only apply to workers at the plant who are union members. All other employees at the plant will still have their normal Labor Day holiday.

Hmm, I'm not sure if I agree with letting go of Labor Day to accomodate for Eid al-Fitr. I guess they felt out of all American holidays, that one was the least patriotic, as compared to Memorial Day, President's Day, etc.

As for those comments, I'm not surprised; I've seen comments like that before. Its just the ongoing argument over what is America about - a Christian nation or a nation of freedom and tolerance.

Former employee and Shelbyville resident Anthony Proctor said he thinks what's happening is wrong.

He said he helped build a special Muslim prayer room that's located inside the plant and that no other Tyson facility has been that accommodating for any other religion.

"If we want to go pray, we don’t have one for Christians," he said

The key word - if! Sounds to me that they are not as dedicated to their religion as the Muslims are. When should've been the word - when they wanted to pray, they should've addressed that to Tyson. And if those employees feel they are being discriminated against because there is no prayer room for Christians, why won't they sue?

"Welcome to Obamadinejads Amerika"

I thought no one was saying this on the right, that it's all just something Obama made up...:scratch:

I have no problem with the holiday.

I don't agree with the prayer room.

I think the folks upset by this are ignorant...

What I am most upset about is that they did away with Labour Day!

This is a union! I am a union man and make sure that I never work Labour Day (its actually in our agreement that you are not allowed to work that day unless there is an emergency, i work construction so there isnt that many big emergencies going on, unless the oil refinery is on fire I'm stayin home!).

How could the union support letting go of the day that celebrates the very thing they represent! You Americans have shitty labour laws and I understand that an entire shop does not have to join the union so this only effects only the union people. How ironic, the union hands have to work labour days and the nonunion hands have it off! Priceless!

Let's go down the list of common sense here...

Union leaders said implementing the holiday was important for the nearly 700 Muslims, many of them Somalis, who work at the plant that employs a total of 1,200 people.

In other words, 58% of the company is Muslim...

Tyson company spokeswoman Libby Lawson said by phone that, "This isn't a religious accommodation, this is a contractual agreement. The majority asked for it."

...and union contracts are created around majority interests...

...and observant Muslims are required to pray a certain number of times a day, whereas there's no such requirements for Christians...

Lawson said they consider religious accommodations on a case-by-case basis. She said that so far, no one has asked for any other type of religious prayer room.

...which is why no Christians asked for one of their own.

In other words, here's what non-Christians experience regularly when they get Christian holidays off, but not their own...but in reverse.

The majority of employees are Muslim. So, a prayer room is probably necessary, since they are bound by faith, to pray five times per day. But, I think a meditation room would also be a good idea, for the employees of other religions.

Instead of eight holidays in their contract, they should have nine. That way everyone is happy. :wave:

If anyone is interested in Tyson foods they are as bad and probably worse then Wal-Mart when it comes to working conditions! Read up on this buisness and see what they have been not only accused of but charged with. I havent bought Tyson Foods products since there was a strike up here a few years ago.

"It shouldn't happen. I mean, I think, we're in America, you're in America, I think that they should go with our holidays," Pentecost said.

In other words, here's what non-Christians experience regularly when they get Christian holidays off, but not their own...but in reverse.

This is my favourite part of the whole thing.

In other words, 58% of the company is Muslim...

...and union contracts are created around majority interests...

...and observant Muslims are required to pray a certain number of times a day, whereas there's no such requirements for Christians...

...which is why no Christians asked for one of their own.
I do think it actually is as simple as this

Seems pretty simple, nice breakdown Melon. Combine that with the fact that the US "Labor Day" isn't even the proper Labor Day which is May 1, but America didn't want to recognize that because they were afraid of looking like a bunch of commies (gasp!), and there really isn't much to fuss about.

Tyson plant adds Muslim holiday, keeps Labor Day

By ROSE FRENCH, Associated Press Writer Fri Aug 8

Union workers and officials at a Tyson Foods plant in Tennessee said Friday they have agreed to reinstate Labor Day as a paid holiday, and the plant will also observe the Muslim holiday Eid al-Fitr this year.

Tyson had previously agreed to drop Labor Day and substitute the Muslim holiday as part of a new 5-year contract to accommodate Muslim workers at the plant in Shelbyville, which is about 50 miles south of Nashville. The decision sparked widespread criticism, from local politicians to talk radio to the Internet.

The Springdale, Ark.-based company said it requested reinstating Labor Day after complaints from plant workers and the public.

Union members voted Thursday to reinstate Labor Day as one of the plant's paid holidays and keep Eid al-Fitr as an additional paid holiday for this year only. For the remainder of the contract, workers will have Labor Day and a personal holiday, which can be used to observe Eid al-Fitr or another day the employee's supervisor approves.

Union officials have said at least a couple hundred of the 1,200 plant workers are Muslim.

Eid al-Fitr — which falls on Oct. 1 this year — marks the end of Ramadan, the Muslim holy month of fasting.

Muslim civil rights advocates criticized Tyson Foods, and a union official said the company's response was disingenuous.

"This wasn't something imposed. It seems that this backtracking would be the result of the backlash from anti-Muslim hate (Web) sites and Islamophobes on the Internet," said Ibrahim Hooper, spokesman for Washington D.C.-based Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Stuart Appelbaum, president of the union headquartered in New York, said he was surprised by the reaction to the holiday change.

"I would have thought that people would have been more sensitive and sympathetic to the concern to the members of our community, who want to celebrate their religious faith," he said. "It's a little disingenuous to say that they (Tyson) were responding to employee concerns. The proposal came from workers themselves."

Tyson's previous decision to drop Labor Day as a paid holiday drew intense scrutiny. In a letter to the Shelbyville Times-Gazette newspaper published Thursday, the local mayor and other state elected leaders said substituting Labor Day "for a nontraditional holiday is unacceptable."

"For over a hundred years, Labor Day has stood as a symbol to honor the working men and women of this country. But for the past few years traditions like Labor Day have been under attack. This time it's gone too far and we, as patriotic Americans, must draw our line in the sand," the letter said states.

Requests for workplace accommodations of Muslim religious obligations have become common around the country, say Muslim advocates.

In 2005, 30 workers walked off the job at a Dell Inc. plant in Nashville after alleging the company refused to let them pray at sunset.

Last year, dozens of Somali meatpacking workers at a Nebraska plant quit their jobs because they were not given enough time off for Muslim prayers, though they eventually returned to work at the Swift & Co. plant.

Union members voted Thursday to reinstate Labor Day as one of the plant's paid holidays and keep Eid al-Fitr as an additional paid holiday for this year only. For the remainder of the contract, workers will have Labor Day and a personal holiday, which can be used to observe Eid al-Fitr or another day the employee's supervisor approves.

This arrangement makes the most sense.

Looks like the got an additional paid holiday out of all the hubbub. Now that's a good deal! :yes:

As for those comments, I'm not surprised; I've seen comments like that before. Its just the ongoing argument over what is America about - a Christian nation or a nation of freedom and tolerance.

The key word - if! Sounds to me that they are not as dedicated to their religion as the Muslims are. When should've been the word - when they wanted to pray, they should've addressed that to Tyson. And if those employees feel they are being discriminated against because there is no prayer room for Christians, why won't they sue?
Neither a Christian or Muslim nation can be free or tolerant, holiday negotiations are fine and if both parties accept it then by all means, I just don't like the idea that one form of religious expression in the workplace (such as a merry christmas sign or a cross) is being frowned upon while another (such a praying a few times a day) is respectable. But since this issue does not entail public funds or state sponsership I give it a giant who cares.

Neither a Christian or Muslim nation can be free or tolerant, holiday negotiations are fine and if both parties accept it then by all means, I just don't like the idea that one form of religious expression in the workplace (such as a merry christmas sign or a cross) is being frowned upon while another (such a praying a few times a day) is respectable. But since this issue does not entail public funds or state sponsership I give it a giant who cares.

America is a nation of religious freedom. Religious expression and symbols are tolerated, here. If fact, encouraged. As long as it is peaceful. Groups such as the KKK, though legal. are viewed by 99.99 percent of the American population as a "hate group." They have been banned from protesting and spewing their hate literature upon others. Though, they claim to be "Christian." And with regards to the KKK, I use the term Christian very loosely.

Where are the cries of theocracy?

Haven't you heard? Secularism is dead.

McCain, Obama to face off with popular pastor - CNN.com

The political spotlight will shine on Sens. John McCain and Barack Obama on Saturday night when the two candidates are expected to face tough questions on personal values, presidential leadership and international affairs.

The Rev. Rick Warren, author of the best-seller "The Purpose-Driven Life," will spend an hour interviewing each candidate at his 20,000-member Saddleback mega-church in Southern California.

Candidates increasingly have to defend their religious views in campaigns.

So are you all that surprised that non-evangelical Christians are starting to exercise their theocratic muscle?

I hate to say it, but I told you so.

Haven't you heard? Secularism is dead.

You haven't answered my question. Given the avowed hatred by FYM of all things that smack of theocracy, is the removal and replacement of a Federal holiday with a religious one problematic for you or not?

You haven't answered my question. Given the avowed hatred by FYM of all things that smack of theocracy, is the removal and replacement of a Federal holiday with a religious one problematic for you or not?

It was done by a company, not the government, so it doesn't smack of theocracy. :shrug:

Christmas as a federal holiday smacks more of theocracy. (I'm actually fine with Christmas though because I make a lot of sales around that time. :) )

It is contract negotiation between a private employer and the workers, there is no issue of government promotion or persecution of belief so it is a non-issue.

Excellent! Then I look forward to your vigorous defense of all those who wish to say "Merry Christmas" come winter-time. Glad we all agree. :up:

Excellent! Then I look forward to your vigorous defense of all those who wish to say "Merry Christmas" come winter-time. Glad we all agree. :up:

I'm not sure there was much outrage over people saying "Merry Christmas," as much as there was outrage from the theocrats over saying "Happy Holidays." Remember the manufactured "War on Christmas"?

As for things like manger scenes, the argument over these was the fact that they were government endorsed on public property. Much of this has changed, since now many of these scenes are now put on private property.

Fabricating the War on Christmas a little early this year are we?

Sorry, but I really find this laughable. When has anyone gotten upset at the individual or the private sector saying "Merry Christmas"?

Sorry, but I really find this laughable. When has anyone gotten upset at the individual or the private sector saying "Merry Christmas"?

Non-Christians get upset over that, I've seen it happen when I worked in retail during my college years. That is why I support saying "Happy Holidays", because you never what religion, if any, someone follows.

Oh you can say "Merry Christmas!" all you want. And someone else can tell you to shove your "Merry Christmas!" up your ass. Both are allowable. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom