Tennessee Tyson Plant Drops Labor Day For Muslim Holiday - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2008, 05:07 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:47 AM
Looks like the got an additional paid holiday out of all the hubbub. Now that's a good deal!

Old 08-12-2008, 04:14 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
As for those comments, I'm not surprised; I've seen comments like that before. Its just the ongoing argument over what is America about - a Christian nation or a nation of freedom and tolerance.

The key word - if! Sounds to me that they are not as dedicated to their religion as the Muslims are. When should've been the word - when they wanted to pray, they should've addressed that to Tyson. And if those employees feel they are being discriminated against because there is no prayer room for Christians, why won't they sue?
Neither a Christian or Muslim nation can be free or tolerant, holiday negotiations are fine and if both parties accept it then by all means, I just don't like the idea that one form of religious expression in the workplace (such as a merry christmas sign or a cross) is being frowned upon while another (such a praying a few times a day) is respectable. But since this issue does not entail public funds or state sponsership I give it a giant who cares.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:37 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoman View Post
This arrangement makes the most sense.
I agree. I'm glad it all worked out.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
Neither a Christian or Muslim nation can be free or tolerant, holiday negotiations are fine and if both parties accept it then by all means, I just don't like the idea that one form of religious expression in the workplace (such as a merry christmas sign or a cross) is being frowned upon while another (such a praying a few times a day) is respectable. But since this issue does not entail public funds or state sponsership I give it a giant who cares.
America is a nation of religious freedom. Religious expression and symbols are tolerated, here. If fact, encouraged. As long as it is peaceful. Groups such as the KKK, though legal. are viewed by 99.99 percent of the American population as a "hate group." They have been banned from protesting and spewing their hate literature upon others. Though, they claim to be "Christian." And with regards to the KKK, I use the term Christian very loosely.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Should a Federal holiday be redefined as a religious one?

Where are the cries of theocracy?
Old 08-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
Haven't you heard? Secularism is dead.

McCain, Obama to face off with popular pastor - CNN.com

Quote:
The political spotlight will shine on Sens. John McCain and Barack Obama on Saturday night when the two candidates are expected to face tough questions on personal values, presidential leadership and international affairs.

The Rev. Rick Warren, author of the best-seller "The Purpose-Driven Life," will spend an hour interviewing each candidate at his 20,000-member Saddleback mega-church in Southern California.

Candidates increasingly have to defend their religious views in campaigns.
So are you all that surprised that non-evangelical Christians are starting to exercise their theocratic muscle?

I hate to say it, but I told you so.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:08 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
Haven't you heard? Secularism is dead.
You haven't answered my question. Given the avowed hatred by FYM of all things that smack of theocracy, is the removal and replacement of a Federal holiday with a religious one problematic for you or not?
Old 08-16-2008, 08:13 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
You haven't answered my question. Given the avowed hatred by FYM of all things that smack of theocracy, is the removal and replacement of a Federal holiday with a religious one problematic for you or not?
It was done by a company, not the government, so it doesn't smack of theocracy.

Christmas as a federal holiday smacks more of theocracy. (I'm actually fine with Christmas though because I make a lot of sales around that time. )
Old 08-16-2008, 08:21 PM   #24
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:47 AM
Quote:
Should a Federal holiday be redefined as a religious one?

You did read the article right? This has nothing to do with the government.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:29 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:47 PM
Quote:
It is contract negotiation between a private employer and the workers, there is no issue of government promotion or persecution of belief so it is a non-issue.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Excellent! Then I look forward to your vigorous defense of all those who wish to say "Merry Christmas" come winter-time. Glad we all agree.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Excellent! Then I look forward to your vigorous defense of all those who wish to say "Merry Christmas" come winter-time. Glad we all agree.
I'm not sure there was much outrage over people saying "Merry Christmas," as much as there was outrage from the theocrats over saying "Happy Holidays." Remember the manufactured "War on Christmas"?

As for things like manger scenes, the argument over these was the fact that they were government endorsed on public property. Much of this has changed, since now many of these scenes are now put on private property.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:36 PM   #28
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:47 AM
Quote:
Fabricating the War on Christmas a little early this year are we?

Sorry, but I really find this laughable. When has anyone gotten upset at the individual or the private sector saying "Merry Christmas"?
Old 08-17-2008, 05:28 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Sorry, but I really find this laughable. When has anyone gotten upset at the individual or the private sector saying "Merry Christmas"?

Non-Christians get upset over that, I've seen it happen when I worked in retail during my college years. That is why I support saying "Happy Holidays", because you never what religion, if any, someone follows.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:10 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Oh you can say "Merry Christmas!" all you want. And someone else can tell you to shove your "Merry Christmas!" up your ass. Both are allowable.

Tags
tyson foods