Tell Me Your Name or Go To Jail - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2004, 05:20 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:13 PM
Tell Me Your Name or Go To Jail

Court: If police ask, you must give your name

Quote:
US citizens do not enjoy a constitutional right to refuse to reveal their identity when requested by police.

In what may become a major boost to US law enforcement and antiterrorism efforts, the US Supreme Court Monday upheld a Nevada law that makes it a criminal offense for anyone suspected of wrongdoing to refuse to identify himself to police.

Old 06-21-2004, 06:02 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:13 AM
yeah, I read that earlier today.
scary huh.

Old 06-21-2004, 06:13 PM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:13 AM
Quote:
...makes it a criminal offense for anyone suspected of wrongdoing to refuse to identify himself to police.
Apparantly Nevada only has male criminals...that explains why the hookers are let to walk the streets.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:40 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:13 AM
Awesome!!! I agree with the law.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:43 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

A 5-4 ruling. About as credible as Dubya's coronation to the Presidency, when the issue should have been sent to the House of Representatives, as per the constitution.

Melon
Old 06-21-2004, 09:55 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

When Kerry is elected he can have people outside of Gun Shows taking names, addresses and phone numbers.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:26 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
A 5-4 ruling. About as credible as Dubya's coronation to the Presidency, when the issue should have been sent to the House of Representatives, as per the constitution.

Melon
Consider the number of 5-4 decisions that many cherish as the law of the land......
Old 06-22-2004, 12:25 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Consider the number of 5-4 decisions that many cherish as the law of the land......
Good one.

Melon
Old 06-22-2004, 04:04 AM   #9
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by *BOOMCHAA!*
yeah, I read that earlier today.
scary huh.
why? are americans above the law or something?
Old 06-22-2004, 08:27 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

why? are americans above the law or something?

Like nbc quoted above, "US citizens do not enjoy a constitutional right to refuse to reveal their identity when requested by police." So it is their right to refuse to reveal their identity.

What defines a suspect? And what do they have to be suspect of- a certain kind of crime? Is wrongdoing limited to terrorism kind of behavior or does it include minor wrongdoings like littering?

Where does it stop? A national ID card? Something even more invasive than that? Can you imagine all the legal harm someone could do with the identity of another, nevermind financial?

In this instance, the first thing that jumped to my (paranoid?) mind is someone who may look /dress like a police officer, or even is a security guard, taking advantage of the situation to get information from people they want to hurt. Identity theft, stalking, whatever.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:51 AM   #11
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:13 PM
I guess you can call this me living in a bit of a naive backwater, as that kind of thing would hardly cross the mind of any Australian. Giving your name to the police is as standard and not thought twice of, as going to vote every year.
Maybe we dont need to worry so much about ID theft and the like, though I'm sure in time that could change. If someone wants to steal your ID, surely there'd be easier ways than going to the effort of imitating a cop?
As for the need and defining a suspect, in most cases a cop is only going to ask you for your name if they actually need it. Like you've witnessed something or reported a matter etc. And if you're on the road, a standard plate check will give them what they need anyway. If your constitution doesn't allow you to deny giving this info, then you kinda dont have a choice really, do you?

Maybe I'm just naive lol.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:47 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:13 AM
Yeah, this makes me paranoid as well.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:56 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I guess you can call this me living in a bit of a naive backwater, as that kind of thing would hardly cross the mind of any Australian. Giving your name to the police is as standard and not thought twice of, as going to vote every year.
Maybe we dont need to worry so much about ID theft and the like, though I'm sure in time that could change. If someone wants to steal your ID, surely there'd be easier ways than going to the effort of imitating a cop?
As for the need and defining a suspect, in most cases a cop is only going to ask you for your name if they actually need it. Like you've witnessed something or reported a matter etc. And if you're on the road, a standard plate check will give them what they need anyway. If your constitution doesn't allow you to deny giving this info, then you kinda dont have a choice really, do you?

Maybe I'm just naive lol.

to be honest I never would have considered not providing my name to a police officer. The thing that worries me though is it becoming ILLEGAL not to - punishable with jail or fines. It's sort of like needing a warrant to search your house, I guess. They shouldn't be able to have such power in collecting people's names or whatever. What if I happened to frequent a store that gets robbed a lot? If I'm on the scene a few times, just shopping, the police officer could legall get my name each time and I'd be in some database, possibly listed as a suspect? It makes me a little hesitant.

The thing that made me paranoid is if it becomes well known that you MUST provide info or risk arrest, then some people will try to use that to their advantage by tricking others into provide more information than they have to, or whatever. I just think of crazy stalkers and people who go after the eldery and try to get their info.

mebbe i'm just paranoid but between this and the patriot act I feel we're treading on thin ice between protecting citizens and intruding on them.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:00 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Why would you care if the police knew your name? If an officer asked me my name, I doubt I'd ever even consider not giving it to him/her, as I don't see any reason not to.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:26 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I guess Americans have gotten use to the luxury of quibbling over the scope of our rights. Sometimes I think we forget how free we are.