Tell Me Your Name or Go To Jail - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2004, 03:56 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
Why would you care if the police knew your name? If an officer asked me my name, I doubt I'd ever even consider not giving it to him/her, as I don't see any reason not to.
olive just gave several valid concerns why

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Sometimes I think we forget how free we are.
and some of us can't forget how free we used to be

Old 06-22-2004, 05:12 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm
to be honest I never would have considered not providing my name to a police officer. The thing that worries me though is it becoming ILLEGAL not to - punishable with jail or fines. It's sort of like needing a warrant to search your house, I guess. They shouldn't be able to have such power in collecting people's names or whatever.
So when you're a witness to a crime they should not know that you can help them in getting the criminal?

Quote:
What if I happened to frequent a store that gets robbed a lot? If I'm on the scene a few times, just shopping, the police officer could legall get my name each time and I'd be in some database, possibly listed as a suspect? It makes me a little hesitant.

Could be. Could be listed as witness too. And who says they're going to put your name in a database? And who says the criminal isn't also listed in that same database, for the very same reasons you are listed?

I'd say refusing to give them your name will put you higher on a subjects list than do giving your name. Why refuse? Are you hiding something?

Quote:
The thing that made me paranoid is if it becomes well known that you MUST provide info or risk arrest, then some people will try to use that to their advantage by tricking others into provide more information than they have to, or whatever. I just think of crazy stalkers and people who go after the eldery and try to get their info.
Well, those people are usually caught quite fast. Why would they rush to a suspicious scene to start demanding names? If it's suspicious, then there's a chance that the actual police is also going to that place.

C ya!

Marty

Old 06-22-2004, 05:15 PM   #18
Refugee

Location: calm down, cold resides with me. I flee to decemberunderground... as you exhale I breathe in, and sink into the water underground and I'll grow pale without you
Local Time: 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

*nods*
one more piece of evidence that this is in no way a conservative administration.

I am a conservative because I want LESS "BIG GOVERNMENT" MESSING AROUND IN MY LIFE.... this is one more action directly opposed to that.

get out of my bedroom, gun safe, and doctor's office, and LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE when I haven't done a damn thing wrong.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:21 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm

In this instance, the first thing that jumped to my (paranoid?) mind is someone who may look /dress like a police officer, or even is a security guard, taking advantage of the situation to get information from people they want to hurt. Identity theft, stalking, whatever.
Either you and I have seen too many bad cop movies or we live in a scary place because I am not usually prone to paranoia but this is what first came to mind for me, too.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:23 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:43 AM
Quote:
You mean when you could just shoot somebody, just because he/she was looking strange at you?
Old 06-22-2004, 05:56 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:43 PM
Quote:

This is one of the best lines in FYM that I've seen in a long time.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:00 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn
You mean when you could just shoot somebody, just because he/she was looking strange at you?
Oh don't be silly. We can still do that.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:43 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:43 PM
Quote:

olive just gave several valid concerns why

You are no longer free how?
Old 06-22-2004, 07:03 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by wolfeden
*nods*
one more piece of evidence that this is in no way a conservative administration.
This was a court decision, not an action of the current administration.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:43 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

So when you're a witness to a crime they should not know that you can help them in getting the criminal?

Oh no, I wasn't meaning (in the scenario I gave) that I don't expect people to help if they witnessed a crime. I didn't mean to assume if I was shopping i had actually /witnessed/ the crime.

Quote:
Could be. Could be listed as witness too. And who says they're going to put your name in a database? And who says the criminal isn't also listed in that same database, for the very same reasons you are listed?

I'd say refusing to give them your name will put you higher on a subjects list than do giving your name. Why refuse? Are you hiding something?
[/B]
Who says they won't put my name in a database? Don't they keep track of people who loan books from libraries that are written about making bombs? Why wouldn't they keep track of this kind of thing?

Really this isn't personally about me and I don't think I'd have qualms about giving my name, but I don't like the idea that I could be ARRESTED if I just wanted to mind my own business. Again, it's like searching a house without a warrant. When arresting someone you have to have reason/suspicion of a crime and then you can bring someone in (and hold them for however long until they have to be charged or set free) - you can't just bring people in b/c they won't give you their names where someone thought they did a "wrongdoing." it's not really how our legal system worked, or how I thought it worked.

of course I'd rather fight for women's rights and all sorts of things before fighting for this , but it did catch my eye today, and I don't think getting lax about our rights to personal privacy is a good idea.