Tell me the Vatican isn't THIS out of touch...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AvsGirl41

New Yorker
From IMDB.com...not the most reliable source, but I did see it pop up elsewhere this morning.

Pop superstar Michael Jackson has been asked by the Roman Catholic Church to set the prayers of the late Pope John Paul II to music. The 47-year-old singer was chosen to write music for the 24 prayers and chants, after Vatican officials decided his global celebrity would best promote their holy message. Father Giuseppe Moscati says, "We have the rights for the 24 prayers written by Pope John Paul. We had hoped the fact that we have been in contact with Michael Jackson would remain a secret. But sadly it has leaked out ahead of time. We are in discussions and trying to sort it out." The priest, who is head of the Millennium Music Society, insisted Jackson's hard-won battle against child molestation charges did not discount him as a candidate. He adds, "He was cleared and found not guilty by a jury. Michael Jackson is very interested in this project - we shall see what happens."

Doesn't sound like the right person to correct any image problems.....

It would be interesting to see how a variety of musical artists would set the prayers to music.

I wonder if michael will join the pope in wearing the Santa hat and evil grin this year??:ohmy: :sad: shudders

*hoots in disbelief, does quick Google check*

This priest has nothing to do with the Vatican--he runs a small record label in Rome, obtained conditional rights to some of JP2's prayers, and had the idea of commissioning music from various famous musicians, including Michael Jackson, to set the prayers to. However, this would all be contingent on Vatican approval, which it can pretty much be guaranteed he wouldn't get in Jackson's case. Apparently, it was actually Jackson's lawyers who leaked the story to the press.

Ah, that's good to hear. It would figure Jackson's lawyers would stress "Vatican officials" when it's nothing of the sort.

I should have Googled but it was too insane not to post. :wink:

oh my... there's certainly some things that not seem very clear to me.

- it seems that this old creepy guy (the pope) thinks that we're still in the 80's....
- and why.... WHY???? the Catholic church judges without any fundament to gay people while it welcomes someone who is been charged of child molesting... :down:
-besides, Michael jackson is creepy... well, maybe he suits the creepy pope we have now :yikes:

Muggsy said:
oh my... there's certainly some things that not seem very clear to me.

- and why.... WHY???? the Catholic church judges without any fundament to gay people while it welcomes someone who is been charged of child molesting... :down:

Maybe that's because he was, after all, declared innocent. :eyebrow:

Innocent, yes. A person of good character, no. I can't imagine that the Vatican would want to fool with him. I don't think they will. This idea is going to go nowhere fast.

Back
Top Bottom