Tell me about MARRIAGE......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Please describe what marriage is without using the words male or female..........or any substitutes.

What is marriage?

Also, I would like your definition to not include the words straight or homosexual.

A formalized commitment and expression of love, trust, and devotion. I'd add a formalized promise of fidelity too.

That's what it should be I guess, I dunno :shrug:

Last edited:
Marriage is a pact between two people to fully, totally, completely accept each other, support each other, and remain true to each other for LIFE. It shouldn't be entered into lightly and it shouldn't be held as The Answer to Life's Happiness for everyone. Marriage requires a lot of personal sacrifice - sometimes on a daily basis - and not everyone's cut out for that kind of selflessness. To borrow an old advertising campaign from the Peace Corps, marriage is the toughest job you'll ever love. :)

BonoVoxSupastar said:
The promise of two people in front of God and everyone to love and commit your life to the other person.

Isn't that your definition of a wedding not a marriage? A wedding, to me, is the ceremony bit. A marriage, to me, is the long term commitment of two people.

sallycinnamon78 said:
a life sentence.
(pardon me -I'm in a very cynical mood today - take no notice)

:laugh:

i think i can do better, though. :wink:

i see marriage as an institution designed to uphold antiquated ideals about family and gender roles, purposely excluding everyone who doesn't fit into the status quo mold as deviant.

beli said:

Isn't that your definition of a wedding not a marriage? A wedding, to me, is the ceremony bit. A marriage, to me, is the long term commitment of two people.

Don't you think you promise yourself, your spouse, and all those around you everyday by your actions and words? I would say a promise is commitment.:huh:

dandy said:

:laugh:

i think i can do better, though. :wink:

i see marriage as an institution designed to uphold antiquated ideals about family and gender roles, purposely excluding everyone who doesn't fit into the status quo mold as deviant.

Now, I am sorry to say that, despite being a romantic numpty deep down (I'm secretly very soppy - welll, I guess it's not a secret now), I agree with you completely on that.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Don't you think you promise yourself, your spouse, and all those around you everyday by your actions and words? I would say a promise is commitment.:huh:

I was reading your statement like this:
The promise of two people in front of everyone to love and commit your life to the other person.

So yeah, different interpretations. I see what you10 w 0 mean now, about actions, as well as1 words. oops BABY on keyboard alertt
o.

No can do companero.

Marriage is -- whatever else it may be -- ultimately a symbol of the love relationship between God and his people. The part that each person plays in the relationship has been vested with unique meaning. "Male and female, He created them...and it was good." Husbands are called to lay down their lives for their wives (as God loved the church); wives to love their husbands with all that they have (as the church loves God).

IMHO, you can't divorce the subject of marriage from the symbolism it was vested with in the beginning by its Creator...

Dreadsox said:
Please describe what marriage is without using the words male or female..........or any substitutes.

What is marriage?

Right now:

The legal union of 2 people not of the same sex

nathan1977 said:
No can do companero.

Marriage is -- whatever else it may be -- ultimately a symbol of the love relationship between God and his people. The part that each person plays in the relationship has been vested with unique meaning. "Male and female, He created them...and it was good." Husbands are called to lay down their lives for their wives (as God loved the church); wives to love their husbands with all that they have (as the church loves God).

IMHO, you can't divorce the subject of marriage from the symbolism it was vested with in the beginning by its Creator...

Right now:

The legal union of 2 people not of the same sex

I love how the two of you couldn't step out of the very narrow interpretation of what you think it shouldn't be and focus on what it really is given the parameters of the discussion.:|

I wonder if this question was asked to you before Bush made this into a conservative Christian against everyone else debate how you would have answered...

I like how you took an honest opinion and turned it into a political polemic.

A question was asked about a definition in a context that I don't think it can be divorced from, and I said so. Why is that wrong?

And I never said what "it shouldn't be." I said what I see it as -- man and woman. Sorry if that's offensive.

So do not flipping respond.....I am not looking to start yet another debate in FYM about marriage. There is more to marriage than the issue of is it between a man and a woman or a man and man or whatever.

Seriously, no one forces anyone to respond to a thread. Why would you respond if you cannot follow a simple request?

[Q]Ye e e e sss....> Oh Christ....aahhh, but, Will, she's been
dead two years and that's the shit I remember.
Wonderful stuff, you know, little things like that. Ah,
but, those are the things I miss the most. The little
idiosyncrasies that only I knew about. That's what made
her my wife. Oh and she had the goods on me, too, she
knew all my little peccadillos. < People call these things
imperfections, but they're not, aw that's the good stuff. >
And then we get to choose who we let in to our weird
little worlds. [/Q]

After 16 years of dating and marriage......this is one quote that sums up how I feel about marriage.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I love how the two of you couldn't step out of the very narrow interpretation of what you think it shouldn't be and focus on what it really is given the parameters of the discussion.:|

I wonder if this question was asked to you before Bush made this into a conservative Christian against everyone else debate how you would have answered...

Personally, I answered what it is currently, without editorializing or taking any kind political stance on it, or saying what I think it ought or ought not to be.

cardosino said:

Personally, I answered what it is currently, without editorializing or taking any kind political stance on it, or saying what I think it ought or ought not to be.

Personally, I think you are trolling. You certainly did not respond in the spirit of my question and secondly, here in Massachusetts, your "definition" is wrong.

Again though, if that is how shallow an interpretation of marriage people have I cannot do anything about it. All I can ask is that you keep the debate over marriage out of this thread, repectfully, and focus on other more important parts of marriage. And if you can't do not respond.

This is actually a difficult question to answer. In some cultures, marriages can involve more than one spouse. For others, a marriage may not be exclusive ie an open marriage.

Marriage is a commitment of an amount of people who may or may not choose to be sexually and/ or emotionally exclusive. :huh:

ummm, hmmmmm

marriage = love

Last edited:
"Love at first sight is easy to understand; it's when two people have been looking at each other for a lifetime that it becomes a miracle."
(Sam Levenson)

"Marriage -- as its veterans know well -- is the continuous process of getting used to things you hadn't expected."
(Tom Mullen)

Dreadsox said:

Personally, I think you are trolling.

Your opinion is noted.

Dreadsox said:

You certainly did not respond in the spirit of my question and secondly, here in Massachusetts, your "definition" is wrong.

If I was in Massachusetts that might have influenced my answer.

Dreadsox said:

Again though, if that is how shallow an interpretation of marriage people have I cannot do anything about it.

That is the definition as was explained to me by a friend in the legal industry (not in Massachusetts), I just changed part of the wording to meet the response parameter you set.

Dreadsox said:

All I can ask is that you keep the debate over marriage out of this thread, repectfully, and focus on other more important parts of marriage. And if you can't do not respond.

You asked for a description, you got one. I'm sorry you don't like the one I gave, but when you start a thread, you will not always get answers you like. Often they will veer way off course. As this has apparently done.

Cheers

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Oh, and I would have given you the same answer, as the definition here in California has not changed Pre or Post Bush.

I voted for Kerry by the way.

:wink:

Prior to the 19th century, "marriage" was a business merger. A man would marry a woman and enjoy the "dowry" he could get along with it. Hence, mistresses were quite common, because you'd be married to the woman for the property/business reasons and in love with your mistress.

The idea of marriage being about "love" was instituted by leftist Protestants in the 19th century. I guess it worked for most of the Western world, because I don't see many people getting married for the dowry (there are always "golddiggers" though; watch reality TV!).

Nowadays? It's quite simple: people marry for all sorts of reasons, and no one ever asks. Ideally? It would be for love and love alone. If religion is in the way, though, it's because a lot of their theology was written in the pre-19th century mindset. "Love" was, frankly, irrelevant.

The disconnect between the past and present may be why we're in such a conflict over what "marriage" is anymore.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom