Tell me about MARRIAGE...... - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-27-2005, 07:07 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 05:26 AM
You know what is really disappointing.....

I sincerely wanted a thread to discuss marriage. The things that make marriage so wonderful.

I asked respectfully for people to not turn it into a homosexual VS heterosexual debate.

Instead we have the usual suspects not being respectful of a simple request. People quoting the same old verses from the Bible which we all know have been used throughout to prove that heterosexuality is essential to have a marriage.


Marriage is so much more to me than that and it saddens me that some of you just could not let it go and leave it to other threads.
__________________

__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 01-27-2005, 07:11 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,573
Local Time: 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon


Sexual or not is not the point. The language used more than implies that their souls became one and they loved each other.

But OT figures are certainly not role models when it comes to fidelity and conflict resolution. With all the "concubines" and offering of their daughters to get gang raped is not exactly what we have in mind today.

Melon
Here's a quote that is a little closer in spirit to what I meant:

"If you want to be in a long-term relationship with someone, don't sleep with them" -- Billy Joel, after noting that he'd been with his drummer longer than with his two wives
__________________

__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 01-27-2005, 07:20 PM   #48
pax
ONE
love, blood, life
 
pax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ewen's new American home
Posts: 11,412
Local Time: 06:26 AM
to this whole thread
__________________
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time


Join Amnesty.
pax is offline  
Old 01-27-2005, 08:04 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
You know what is really disappointing.....

I sincerely wanted a thread to discuss marriage. The things that make marriage so wonderful.

I asked respectfully for people to not turn it into a homosexual VS heterosexual debate.

Instead we have the usual suspects not being respectful of a simple request. People quoting the same old verses from the Bible which we all know have been used throughout to prove that heterosexuality is essential to have a marriage.


Marriage is so much more to me than that and it saddens me that some of you just could not let it go and leave it to other threads.
Your intentions are honorable. Unfortunately, when you placed the limitations on the discussion, it drew comments like moths to a flame.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 01-27-2005, 08:16 PM   #50
Refugee
 
-macphisto-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,401
Local Time: 10:26 AM
A covenant to God by 2 people to love and cherish eachother for time and all eternity, and marriage is not just of this life but it is for time and all eternity, adn families are forever!
__________________
-macphisto- is offline  
Old 01-27-2005, 08:56 PM   #51
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by macphisto23
A covenant to God by 2 people to love and cherish eachother for time and all eternity, and marriage is not just of this life but it is for time and all eternity, adn families are forever!
So if your spouse dies and you remarry, how does that work?
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 01-27-2005, 10:41 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 06:26 AM
Marriage is the fulfillment of a lifelong promise, to remain faithful to your partner, to provide for their needs, to understand differences, to comfort, and to grow. Marriage is a compromise, it's two becoming one flesh. Marriage is provision, in the highest. By this, it's a sacrifice you make to ultimately give up your independence for the sake of another, who you are laying your personal freedom down in order to commit your entire life to another.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 01-28-2005, 06:00 AM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Marriage is the fulfillment of a lifelong promise, to remain faithful to your partner, to provide for their needs, to understand differences, to comfort, and to grow. Marriage is a compromise, it's two becoming one flesh. Marriage is provision, in the highest. By this, it's a sacrifice you make to ultimately give up your independence for the sake of another, who you are laying your personal freedom down in order to commit your entire life to another.
Awesome!!!! thank you for your post.
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 01-28-2005, 06:58 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Awesome!!!! thank you for your post.
No problem, I was hoping that would help.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 01-28-2005, 07:08 AM   #55
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 09:26 PM
All this 'lifelong' talk makes it sound as though those who do not make it that far have failed.

It's an intention for life.
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 01-28-2005, 07:32 AM   #56
The Fly
 
ahmedadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: A place that must to be belived to be seen
Posts: 58
Local Time: 10:26 AM
Also, we must not only concern with ignoring the sexual orientation if we are to be politcially correct but we should also not insist on marriage being only the 2 people. There is many bits of the world with big populations and not just of Moslem where man has more than one wife. I do not know about one wife with many husbands. One big marriage of many. Not to say if is good or is bad it is.

So also the marriage is like a team living together with common philiosophy and the love.
__________________
ahmedadam is offline  
Old 01-28-2005, 07:45 AM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
All this 'lifelong' talk makes it sound as though those who do not make it that far have failed.

It's an intention for life.
It's a very serious intention. Divorce is hurtful. Ask anyone who has had their parents divorce because they got married too quickly, and didn't take their vows seriously. Too many lives have been impacted by divorce, especially the kids. It's not always the result of two people failing, but the two must commit, and share a common ground prior to that. How can people get married if one partner wants kids and the other doesn't? These issues need to be worked out beforehand.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 01-28-2005, 07:57 AM   #58
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 09:26 PM
Not everyone who divorces didn't take their vows seriously or didn't commit. It is less common for it to be any of these things. The highest cause of divorce is financial strain, or basic disagreements over money. It's not some flowery idea of commitment and so on being absent. Most start with that and end with it too. It's external factors which puts the most strain on any marriage.
__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 01-28-2005, 08:01 AM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 05:26 AM
So much for the positive thread.....

I say when you have financial difficulties, settle them with sex.

There....
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 01-28-2005, 08:02 AM   #60
Jesus Online
 
Angela Harlem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 09:26 PM
Cheap sex?

__________________

__________________
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/angelaharlem/thPaul_Roos28.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aul_Roos28.jpg</a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com