Tell me about MARRIAGE...... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2005, 02:51 PM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by sallycinnamon78
a life sentence.

Old 01-27-2005, 02:59 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977
No can do companero.

Marriage is -- whatever else it may be -- ultimately a symbol of the love relationship between God and his people. The part that each person plays in the relationship has been vested with unique meaning. "Male and female, He created them...and it was good." Husbands are called to lay down their lives for their wives (as God loved the church); wives to love their husbands with all that they have (as the church loves God).

IMHO, you can't divorce the subject of marriage from the symbolism it was vested with in the beginning by its Creator...
Quote:
Right now:

The legal union of 2 people not of the same sex
I love how the two of you couldn't step out of the very narrow interpretation of what you think it shouldn't be and focus on what it really is given the parameters of the discussion.

I wonder if this question was asked to you before Bush made this into a conservative Christian against everyone else debate how you would have answered...

Old 01-27-2005, 03:07 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I like how you took an honest opinion and turned it into a political polemic.

A question was asked about a definition in a context that I don't think it can be divorced from, and I said so. Why is that wrong?

And I never said what "it shouldn't be." I said what I see it as -- man and woman. Sorry if that's offensive.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:15 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:07 AM
So do not flipping respond.....I am not looking to start yet another debate in FYM about marriage. There is more to marriage than the issue of is it between a man and a woman or a man and man or whatever.

Seriously, no one forces anyone to respond to a thread. Why would you respond if you cannot follow a simple request?
Old 01-27-2005, 03:27 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

[Q]Ye e e e sss....> Oh Christ....aahhh, but, Will, she's been
dead two years and that's the shit I remember.
Wonderful stuff, you know, little things like that. Ah,
but, those are the things I miss the most. The little
idiosyncrasies that only I knew about. That's what made
her my wife. Oh and she had the goods on me, too, she
knew all my little peccadillos. < People call these things
imperfections, but they're not, aw that's the good stuff. >
And then we get to choose who we let in to our weird
little worlds. [/Q]

After 16 years of dating and marriage......this is one quote that sums up how I feel about marriage.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:29 PM   #21
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I love how the two of you couldn't step out of the very narrow interpretation of what you think it shouldn't be and focus on what it really is given the parameters of the discussion.

I wonder if this question was asked to you before Bush made this into a conservative Christian against everyone else debate how you would have answered...
Personally, I answered what it is currently, without editorializing or taking any kind political stance on it, or saying what I think it ought or ought not to be.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:32 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino

Personally, I answered what it is currently, without editorializing or taking any kind political stance on it, or saying what I think it ought or ought not to be.
Personally, I think you are trolling. You certainly did not respond in the spirit of my question and secondly, here in Massachusetts, your "definition" is wrong.

Again though, if that is how shallow an interpretation of marriage people have I cannot do anything about it. All I can ask is that you keep the debate over marriage out of this thread, repectfully, and focus on other more important parts of marriage. And if you can't do not respond.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:56 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:07 PM
This is actually a difficult question to answer. In some cultures, marriages can involve more than one spouse. For others, a marriage may not be exclusive ie an open marriage.

Marriage is a commitment of an amount of people who may or may not choose to be sexually and/ or emotionally exclusive.

ummm, hmmmmm

marriage = love
Old 01-27-2005, 04:01 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:07 PM
..... except when it doesn't eg marriages for political reasons etc
Old 01-27-2005, 04:03 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

"Love at first sight is easy to understand; it's when two people have been looking at each other for a lifetime that it becomes a miracle."
(Sam Levenson)
Old 01-27-2005, 04:04 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

"Marriage -- as its veterans know well -- is the continuous process of getting used to things you hadn't expected."
(Tom Mullen)
Old 01-27-2005, 04:08 PM   #27
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Personally, I think you are trolling.

Your opinion is noted.

Quote:

You certainly did not respond in the spirit of my question and secondly, here in Massachusetts, your "definition" is wrong.
If I was in Massachusetts that might have influenced my answer.

Quote:

Again though, if that is how shallow an interpretation of marriage people have I cannot do anything about it.
That is the definition as was explained to me by a friend in the legal industry (not in Massachusetts), I just changed part of the wording to meet the response parameter you set.

Quote:

All I can ask is that you keep the debate over marriage out of this thread, repectfully, and focus on other more important parts of marriage. And if you can't do not respond.
You asked for a description, you got one. I'm sorry you don't like the one I gave, but when you start a thread, you will not always get answers you like. Often they will veer way off course. As this has apparently done.

Cheers
Old 01-27-2005, 04:11 PM   #28
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Oh, and I would have given you the same answer, as the definition here in California has not changed Pre or Post Bush.

I voted for Kerry by the way.

Old 01-27-2005, 04:18 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Prior to the 19th century, "marriage" was a business merger. A man would marry a woman and enjoy the "dowry" he could get along with it. Hence, mistresses were quite common, because you'd be married to the woman for the property/business reasons and in love with your mistress.

The idea of marriage being about "love" was instituted by leftist Protestants in the 19th century. I guess it worked for most of the Western world, because I don't see many people getting married for the dowry (there are always "golddiggers" though; watch reality TV!).

Nowadays? It's quite simple: people marry for all sorts of reasons, and no one ever asks. Ideally? It would be for love and love alone. If religion is in the way, though, it's because a lot of their theology was written in the pre-19th century mindset. "Love" was, frankly, irrelevant.

The disconnect between the past and present may be why we're in such a conflict over what "marriage" is anymore.

Melon
Old 01-27-2005, 04:19 PM   #30
War Child

Local Time: 01:07 AM
Quote:
Mawidge...mawidge is what bwings us togewer today...
- Princess Bride