Teen Sex Orgy Scores $3,500,000 Fine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
Well I figure that the headline will get some attention
FCC slaps CBS with $3.5 million record fine

After more than a year of inactivity, the Federal Communications Commission leapt into action yesterday, levying dozens of sanctions for indecency against television broadcasters - including a record $3.5 million fine against CBS for airing an episode of the hit drama Without a Trace that included what the commission labeled a "teen sex orgy."

The rulings, which included fines against NBC, Fox and WB's Washington affiliate, define new and tougher standards on indecency and appear to expand by one the list of words banned from the air.

They also represent the first actions taken by the FCC chairman, Kevin J. Martin, a former White House economic adviser.

"The number of complaints received by the commission has risen year after year," Martin said in a statement. "I share the concerns of the public - and of parents, in particular." Between the years of 2002 and 2005, the agency received 300,000 complaints about television shows. Anyone may file a complaint.
link

Some complain that while America gets puritanical about sex it has a problem with violence in it's media - frankly I think that it could do with more of both.

Now can they appeal against this? I read that it isn't feesible with the most of fines because it just costs to much to bring it up to the courts, but could they put the FCC up and show how it violates free speech?

A_Wanderer said:
Now can they appeal against this? I read that it isn't feesible with the most of fines because it just costs to much to bring it up to the courts, but could they put the FCC up and show how it violates free speech?

The fine they just received is pittance compared to the ad revenue they made on the aforementioned programs, and they'd probably spend more on lawyer fees trying to appeal it.

I find it interesting that they'd fine a "teen sex orgy" (which I'm certain is overblown), but don't ask themselves why children are watching "Without a Trace" to begin with. Children shouldn't be watching this show anyway.

Melon

That shouldn't even be an issue - if parents don't want their kids to see that then they should just use the v-chip.

Where does the FCC get it's mandate and these dickhead political appointments.

I wonder if they'll go after Desperate Housewives-they had two teenage guys kissing in one scene and shirtless in bed in another last night. They didn't do anything in bed but it might still be a "problem" for the FCC.

A_Wanderer said:
That shouldn't even be an issue - if parents don't want their kids to see that then they should just use the v-chip.

Indeed. It just goes to show that the Religious Right will settle for nothing less than "The 700 Club" 24/7.

Where does the FCC get it's mandate and these dickhead political appointments.

The Telecommunications Act of 1933 gives it its mandate, and as for the political appointments, you have no one else to blame other than Bush. It's tradition that all the commissioners resign with the departure of a president, so all the current appointees are the responsibililty of the current president.

Melon

CBS knew what it was doing. The fine is cheap advertising for the show, which now will gain new viewers (those who want to watch teen sex orgies).

I bet CBS did a Pinto analysis and decided it was a profitable move.

nbcrusader said:
(those who want to watch teen sex orgies).

do you *really* think there's a teen sex orgy on the show?

or is this just hyperbole in order to get the collective panties of "Parent/Family Groups" in a big old bunch?

I'd like to know what they mean by "teen sex orgy" myself. I didn't see the show so I'm not in a position to judge, but they may be blowing it up just to get their way.

Irvine511 said:
or is this just hyperbole in order to get the collective panties of "Parent/Family Groups" in a big old bunch?

That is the description of from the Commission (not the special interest groups).

nbcrusader said:

That is the description of from the Commission (not the special interest groups).

the lines are not so clearly drawn, context counts, and just who are these "new and tougher fines" designed to placate in a post-Janet Jackson nipple world?

Thank god I live in a country where the government allows programmers to air a show like the Sopranos unedited during primetime on network tv, with the understanding that we're capable of making decisions for ourselves.

The downside of this is that the episodes aren't current, and so we don't get to see them until after HBO has run through the entire season. :sad: :needsSopranosfix:

I am pretty sure the FCC cannot really levy any fines because their laws state words are "unacceptable as deemed by contemporary moral standards"

with that flexibility I think just about any word should be allowed on television(or phrase for that matter)

another point is whether or not viewer discretion was advised

with all that in hand, I think that fine is ridiculous

VintagePunk said:
Thank god I live in a country where the government allows programmers to air a show like the Sopranos unedited during primetime on network tv, with the understanding that we're capable of making decisions for ourselves.

The downside of this is that the episodes aren't current, and so we don't get to see them until after HBO has run through the entire season. :sad: :needsSopranosfix:

it's been sooooo good so far this year!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/23/arts/23bedf.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

"Concerned about the recent decision by the Federal Communications Commission to fine television networks for material deemed indecent, the WB network will broadcast a new drama next week that it has censored over the objections of the program's creator.

But first, the network will offer the uncut version of the pilot episode on its Web site, starting today — a further example of the new strategies network television may be pursuing, both to escape government-imposed restrictions and to find alternative ways of reaching viewers. It is the first time a network has offered on another outlet an uncut version of a program it has been forced to censor.

The show, "The Bedford Diaries," was created by Tom Fontana, whose long résumé includes award-winning shows like "St. Elsewhere" and "Homicide" for network television and the far more graphic prison drama "Oz" for HBO, a pay-cable channel with no content restrictions.

The pilot episode of "The Bedford Diaries," which concerns a group of college students attending a class on human sexuality, had already been accepted by WB's standards department. After the F.C.C. decision last week to issue millions of dollars in fines against broadcast stations, the network's chairman, Garth Ancier, contacted Mr. Fontana and asked him to edit a number of specific scenes out of the show, including one that depicted two girls in a bar kissing on a dare and another of a girl unbuttoning her jeans.

"I said no," Mr. Fontana said in an interview Wednesday. "I told him I found the ruling incomprehensible. He said the censor would do the edit."

I think the FCC is going overboard pretty much.

It should be up to the parents what kids should watch.

I honestly don't know why a kid would be watching Without a Trace in the first place.

Irvine511 said:

it's been sooooo good so far this year!

So I hear. It's taking every ounce (or milligram) of strength I have not to become spoiled. This is supposed to be the final season, right? I'm hoping that it'll be out on dvd very soon. On a related note, the final season of Six Feet Under is coming out next week. :hyper:

VintagePunk said:

So I hear. It's taking every ounce (or milligram) of strength I have not to become spoiled. This is supposed to be the final season, right? I'm hoping that it'll be out on dvd very soon. On a related note, the final season of Six Feet Under is coming out next week. :hyper:

sort of the final season -- they are doing the usual 12 episodes, then a break, then a final 8 episodes (or is it 6?) in 2007.

words can't describe how much i miss 6 Feet Under. the final season was very good, much better than the 4th season.

the teens should have gone and shot loaded guns at each other instead. then there wouldn't have been a problem.

That's what I don't understand about the FCC/US television - violence and gore seem to be much more readily accepted than expressions of sex/sexuality or (gasp) swearing.

I think that Janet Jackson's boob would have been a non-issue here.

Back
Top Bottom