Teen Goes on Rampage in Gay Bar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes he is obviously messed up for several reasons I would imagine, but so are many people and they don't lash out at gay people who did nothing to them. He made a CHOICE to do that. I had messed up things in my family life and upbringing but I never made a choice to lash out at other people in that manner and to attempt to kill them just because they are gay. He could have gone another way and he chose not to. There is help available, and there are choices in life. I know life isn't as simple as typing it on a message board, but it all comes back to the choices we make.

an article about the police officer he killed

Friends describe slain officer as giving, dedicated to job

By Maria Cramer, Globe Staff February 5, 2006

James Sell, gunned down yesterday in Arkansas, loved two things in his life -- his wife and his job as a police officer.

When he lost his wife to cancer last year, Sell, who was about 63, began working more weekend shifts to keep busy and let younger officers on the Gassville Police Department spend more time with their families.

''Anytime, if you ever needed any kind of favor, he'd be right on down," said Michael Swetnam, 53, Sell's next-door neighbor.

It was yesterday, during one of these shifts, that Sell encountered Jacob D. Robida, 18, who was wanted in an attack on three men in a gay bar in New Bedford early Thursday.

Yesterday, in the parking lot of the Brass Door, a motel and restaurant in Gassville, a rural Ozark Mountain town of about 1,700, Sell stopped Robida's green Pontiac Grand Am. Robida shot Sell and fled before he was stopped in Norfork, Ark., police said.

Yesterday evening, neighbors and friends mourned Sell, a tall, strapping man who owned a modest cattle ranch, favored cowboy hats and boots, and kept his gray handlebar moustache neatly trimmed.

''Everyone loved Jim," said Pam Sullins, a friend. ''He loved being a police officer. At least he died doing what he loved and protecting all of us."

Sell was born in Iowa but lived most of his adult life in Arkansas, where he had worked as an officer for the police department in Blytheville, a town of 18,000, for about 27 years, Swetnam said.

Late last year, his wife, Shirley, died of lung cancer, leaving behind a stepdaughter.

''She was his soul mate," Sullins said.

Sell had been working as a part-time officer for Gassville for the past couple of years, but began taking more shifts after his wife's death.

During his shifts, he routinely stopped by his ranch, nestled in a wooded, sparsely populated area, to check on his German shepherd and another dog.

Sell always found time for one of his favorite hobbies: collecting and working on old cars, including a 1946 Ford and a 1957 Nash Metropolitan he had painted black and white.

''He called it is his little Oreo," Swetnam said, laughing.

Neighbors recalled Sell as a man who would loan one of his cars without hesitation and took good care of his stepdaughter, a woman in her 40s who had been having health and relationship problems and moved in with him after his wife's death.

Richard Albertson, 59, remembered how Sell gave his family bales of hay last year for their ranch when Albertson was fighting throat and stomach cancer in the hospital.

''He was very conscientious," Albertson said. ''He treated everybody 100 percent. He treated everybody like he wanted to be treated."

Swetnam said the last time he saw his neighbor was early yesterday afternoon.

Sell had come by his ranch, probably to check on his animals and get a quick bite, Swetnam said.

He then left in his police cruiser, waving at Swetnam, his wife, and a couple of friends.

Swetnam and his friends went to his garage to work on a car.

About an hour later, Swetnam received a call from his brother's girlfriend, a waitress at the Brass Door, who told him that Sell had been shot. He said he was shocked when he learned the alleged shooter was Robida.

Swetnam said he is certain Sell had no idea who was in the Pontiac when he stopped the car.

Most likely, Swetnam said, his friend probably thought he was making a routine traffic stop.

''He was known to be a very easygoing, very nice guy around here," Swetnam said.

''He didn't stop people for any old thing. . . . He was definitely not an officer just out looking for trouble."

MrsSpringsteen said:
some news reports say Robida has died

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060205/ap_on_re_us/gay_bar_shooting

Man Held in Bar Attack Dies After Shootout

By NOAH TRISTER, Associated Press Writer 14 minutes ago

GASSVILLE, Ark. - A teenager wanted in a hatchet-and-gun attack on patrons of a Massachusetts gay bar died Sunday morning at a Missouri hospital after he was critically wounded in a gun battle with Arkansas police, authorities said.

Jacob D. Robida, 18, died at 3:38 a.m. Sunday at Cox-South Hospital in Springfield, Arkansas State Police spokesman Bill Sadler said.

Robida was wounded after he shot and killed a small-town police officer in Gassville on Saturday and a West Virginia woman before a shootout ended with Robida's arrest, authorities said. Robida was shot twice in the head, authorities said.

Melon

A sad ending to a sad story. Perhaps something useful might have been learned, had he survived, about whether and to what extent the hate literature he had been exposed to further inflamed whatever disturbances he already had. Or perhaps not.
MrsSpringsteen said:
I had messed up things in my family life and upbringing but I never made a choice to lash out at other people in that manner and to attempt to kill them just because they are gay. He could have gone another way and he chose not to. There is help available, and there are choices in life.
Do you think things might have turned out any differently had the friends you turned to for support been affiliated with any sort of hate group? These are not necessarily markedly abnormal, objectionably strident people. I had an employee back when I managed a bookstore who proudly belonged to a white pride/neo-Nazi group. She was half-Lebanese ironically, and I had the impression she was involved in it largely due to the influence of her live-in boyfriend (who was clearly physically abusive as well, something I could do little about beyond vague and unspecific offers to "let me know if there's anything I can do to help"). Anyways, she was a "nice" enough young woman who never betrayed any sign of problems with me personally (nor with our nonwhite customers etc.).

I had a friend once, too, whose perenially troubled younger brother was in jail on a "three strikes"-type drugselling conviction. While in jail he came under the influence of some neo-Nazis and suddenly started writing my friend long, impassioned, "fact"-filled letters about all the things he was learning about "true Aryanism," the history of how the Jews had gone from being a "pure" and upstanding race to a corrupt and sinister band of subversives, why blacks and whites would both be morally improved by having separate political territories assigned to them, the "bourgeois" posion of gay rights, etc. etc. My friend was deeply disturbed by where all this might lead his brother (who had a long prior history of falling under the influence of Angry Men With a Plan, in the army and elsewhere). Yet at the same time, he marvelled at how focused and imbued with a sense of purpose his typically aimless and inchoately angry brother had suddenly become. As if he had "found religion," as he put it.

I think for some people there is a very seductive comfort in having an unambiguous picture of how the world ought to be, and a concrete notion of who and what is standing in the way of that, handed to them. Particularly when it does not involve challenging *themselves* to change and improve, but rather externalizes everything, and thus enables them to articulate all the "threats" they sense or feel as outside forces to be defeated.

I knew this guy in high school who seemed normal, but was anti-"foreigner". He wasn't violent, or even racist; he disliked all non-Americans equally as far as I can remember. His mother was an immigrant from the Netherlands. And yes, he disliked her non-Americanness.

Some people are just fucked up.

Why do people stick Jews and gays into some sort of degenerate group? I don't understand why I have grown up feeling some sort of shame for having Jewish heritage until I read stuff like this and then I think "Oh that's right, I'm somehow not human like everyone else"

:sad:

:hug:. Good question, starsgoblue.

Just a crazy story all around. I will never understand how people can hold so much hatred in their hearts, so much cruelty.

I've heard occasional discriminatory comments made by people over the years, but that's all the farther it's gone, I've not yet seen anyone I know ever actually get violent over it. Not to say that the comments were any better, of course :|.

Angela

yolland said:

I think for some people there is a very seductive comfort in having an unambiguous picture of how the world ought to be, and a concrete notion of who and what is standing in the way of that, handed to them. Particularly when it does not involve challenging *themselves* to change and improve, but rather externalizes everything, and thus enables them to articulate all the "threats" they sense or feel as outside forces to be defeated.

I think that is it in a nutshell

I never had any friends who were racist in any way, not outwardly. And I grew up in a lily white town. From an early age I deplored racism and all hate of that kind, I had a grandfather who used to make racist comments and it made me so angry and ill.

My problems were not as severe as this kid's were, and I turned inward and focused on grades, etc-on being "perfect". So I guess I'd say I did the opposite of the externalizing you were talking about. I blamed myself for issues that were not my fault, I turned it inward rather than turning it into hatred for others. Especially others who had nothing to do with my problems.

I also didn't have the internet, apparently this kid created a world on the net in which he felt accepted and important.

They interviewed a friend of his who is a lesbian and she claimed he never showed any signs of hatred towards her for that. I'm not saying in any way that that means anything, it doesn't. He was "nice" to his gay friends-so what.

It all comes down to personal responsibility, and it is most tragic for those he killed and tried to kill that he couldn't take that responsibility for himself. Of course it is also tragic that he never got the help he clearly needed.

There are so many kids like him who are ticking time bombs, what can be done about it?

starsgoblue said:
Why do people stick Jews and gays into some sort of degenerate group?

Because 2000 years of stupidity and ignorance doesn't go away over a period of 60 years, I guess.

Melon

I can't understand such despicable hatred, it is terrifying and sickening

Boston Herald

GASSVILLE, Ark. - The neo-Nazi teen who attacked patrons of a New Bedford gay bar with a hatchet and pistol was only a short drive from two Arkansas white supremacist groups known to recruit in Massachusetts when he had his deadly shootout with police.
White Freedom Party’s Glenn Miller declined to discuss what he called supremacist “safe houses” in the area, but told the Herald that cop killer Jacob Robida’s attack on patrons of a gay bar was in keeping with the movement’s aims.
“I approve. Hell, I’d like to see that on TV every hour,” Miller, who is based in nearby Springfield, Mo., said about the anti-gay rampage.
Robida’s bloody run from the law ended Saturday in a shootout after he killed a cop in Gassville, police and witnesses say. Authorities, who found Nazi posters and paraphernalia in his New Bedford, Mass., bedroom, said yesterday they were still working to determine what brought the disturbed youth to the remote Ozark Mountains.
“We still don’t know the answer to that. We want to find out what he was and was not involved in,” said Robert Kinkade, a Baxter County prosecutor. “That determination is very much a part of the active investigation.”
But some locals who know their region well are speculating it was the white supremacy groups that drew him.
“Harrison is the KKK capital - Nazi headquarters - that’s probably where he was going,” said Tyler Parnell, 18, a Norfolk native who was surveying the shooting scene yesterday.
U.S. Route 62 passes through the sleepy mountain town of Gassville on the way to Harrison, the national headquarters of the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan.
From there, a turn south on state Route 7 leads through the Ozark National Forest to Russellville, home base of the national hate group White Revolution.
White Revolution members have spread hate-mongering leaflets in a number of Bay State towns in recent years including Lowell, Tewksbury, Wellesley and Newbury.
White Revolution leader Billy Roper, a former high school history teacher, told the Herald in February 2004 he has a cell of followers in Massachusetts. The group has staged high-profile protests here on Jewish and African-American holidays.
“We’ve got a lot of volunteers up in the Boston area,” Miller said. “Thom Robb has got several Klan chapters up there in Massachusetts. One’s got about 30 members.”
Robb is an ordained Baptist minister and national director of the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. Neither he nor Roper returned calls yesterday.
The Klan group’s Web site has a section dedicated to hate for homosexuality.
“We support a national law against the practice of homosexuality,” the group proclaims on the site.
Fliers announcing “Good News! The Knights of the Ku Klux Klan is organizing in Massachusetts!” turned up last summer in Dighton and Somerset in southeastern Massachusetts, about 10 miles from New Bedford, according to published reports.

MrsSpringsteen said:
White Freedom Party’s Glenn Miller declined to discuss what he called supremacist “safe houses” in the area, but told the Herald that cop killer Jacob Robida’s attack on patrons of a gay bar was in keeping with the movement’s aims.
“I approve. Hell, I’d like to see that on TV every hour,” Miller, who is based in nearby Springfield, Mo., said about the anti-gay rampage.

:|...

That is really scary to know that ther are people like that so close to my town...:( I live a lttle more than 50 miles away from Springfield. I guess there are ignorant people everywhere.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
I think Homeland Security needs to go after those safe houses.

Where's an "unmanned drone" when you need it? :wink:

Melon

Back
Top Bottom