Teen Goes on Rampage in Gay Bar - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2006, 10:02 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:29 PM
perhaps going into a gay bar inspired some gay panic in him?

you know -- gay panic, when a straight person can become so offended or outraged by a sexual or romantic interest that is perceived to be gay that they are driven temporarily insane and commits an out-of-character act.

this was the logic the defense tried to use to get Matthew Shepard's murderers acquited, or at least a lighter sentence.

but perhaps i'm just being negative.

let's remember that under federal law, crimes committed on the basis of sexual orientation are not hate crimes. not even a dead body tied to a fence in Laramie, WY could get Clinton enough votes to get it through Congress.

hate crimes are interesting, though. i have some ideological problems with them -- but if we are going to deem some crimes "hate crimes," then it seems as if sexual orientation belongs there.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:04 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:29 PM
Or maybe we should oppose all hate crime legislation with equal vigour and demand the equality of null.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:07 AM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Or maybe we should oppose all hate crime legislation with equal vigour and demand the equality of null.

that is the other option.

the discrimination, to me, lies in the apparent evidence that some groups of people are worthy of special consideration, and others are not.

but hate crimes legislation is another topic entirely. i can see both sides on this issue.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:18 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

From the Boston globe.

Quote:
In Robida's room at his mother's house, police yesterday found homemade posters slurring gays, African-Americans, and Jews; neo-Nazi literature and skinhead paraphernalia; a makeshift coffin; and an empty knife sheath, according to police, prosecutors, and court documents.
If this isn't proof it was a hate crime, I don't know what is.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:33 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:29 PM
^
Old 02-03-2006, 03:01 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Boston Herald

"They’re no strangers to hateful comments, and most know people who’ve been assaulted for being gay, but the ferocity of the attack early yesterday morning in New Bedford stunned members of the local gay and lesbian community.

“It’s absolutely horrifying,” said Emily Pitt of Fenway Community Health’s violence recovery program, calling the brutal incident “another wake-up call.” In 2004, 105 violent hate crimes against gays and lesbians were reported to the center.

“I hope this type of tragedy makes people think about the added pressure gays and lesbians live with every day,” said Josh Friedes of the Freedom to Marry Coalition.

The FBI recorded 1,223 hate crimes motivated by sexual orientation in 2004.

“When the perpetrator goes looking for a victim of a particular identity, he isn’t just committing an assault against that person, but the whole community,” Pitt said."
Old 02-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Girl1978
God, I just saw this on the news. People completely suck! The suspect is on the run right now.

He will get caught. I hope sooner than later. What type of parents would teach there child to hate in such a way?
Old 02-04-2006, 09:49 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

The three victims were identified by police as Robert Perry of Dartmouth, Alex Taylor of Fairhaven, and Luis Rosado of New Bedford. Perry was discharged from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center yesterday, while Taylor was in stable condition at Massachusetts General Hospital. It wasn't clear yesterday where Rosado, who suffered a gunshot to the chest, was being treated.

Interviewed on Ch. 7 last night, Bob Perry, 52, a paramedic and father of four, said he received lacerations to the face with the hatchet and a bullet through his back.

''The hatchet came so fast that I don't think I had time to think, but when it hit my head all of a sudden, I said this is something really serious happening here," Perry said. ''What was going through my mind is: I'm going to be dead pretty soon. This is how it's going to end right here." He said that despite his injuries he intended to return to work Monday.

He added that his attacker's ''quietness was just stunning."

He said he lay still until the attacker left Puzzles Lounge. "I was afraid he would come back and hit me again and finish me off."

"My whole life I've dealt with issues of tolerance and I've struggled with this. I just wish people would understand that we're not bad people," he told the station.

''I've never been in a fight in my life," Perry said. ''I don't know anything about hate, and I don't understand where hate comes from."

Politicians and civil rights groups have expressed outrage over the attack, with activists and New Bedford residents staging a candlelight vigil outside the bar Thursday night.

Governor Mitt Romney joined the chorus of condemnation yesterday. ''All acts of violence are deplorable, particularly if they are motivated by hatred or bigotry," he said in a statement. ''My hope is that the perpetrator responsible for this heinous crime is held accountable for his actions."

“I feel bad for this kid. He has problems. I’m not saying I forgive him, but I’d like to learn how the hell he turned out like this,” Perry said of Robida. “I just won’t feel safe until he’s caught.”

Old 02-04-2006, 12:50 PM   #24
The Fly

Local Time: 03:29 AM
Have they caught him yet?
Old 02-04-2006, 06:16 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

It just came on CNN that they got him in Arkansas after a shootout w/ State Police there

Come back and face your punishment you scum sucking piece of crap
Old 02-04-2006, 07:19 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

NORFORK, Arkansas (AP) -- A police officer and a woman were shot to death Saturday in the minutes before authorities apprehended a teenager suspected of a rampage in a Massachusetts gay bar.

A police officer from the northern Arkansas town of Gassville was shot as he attempted to apprehend Jacob D. Robida, according to state police spokesman Bill Sadler.

The teen sped away and exchanged gunfire with police in nearby Norfork, where the 18-year-old was wounded and a female passenger was killed, Sadler said.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:05 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:29 PM
He ended up in Arkansas. Shot and killed a 63 yr old cop and a passenger he picked up in westford(?), MA. He was shot in the head twice and is now in critical condition.

Stupid piece of crap.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:26 AM   #28
The Fly

Local Time: 08:29 PM
I hope he makes it, and is incapacitated enough to never lead a meaningful life and is stuck between this and the next life for a very long time.

Alternatively I hope he ends up being fine, and jailed for a very long time.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:30 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Amigone
I hope he makes it, and is incapacitated enough to never lead a meaningful life and is stuck between this and the next life for a very long time.

Alternatively I hope he ends up being fine, and jailed for a very long time.
I hope he makes a full recovery so he can go to a nice fedral pen and be "violated" over, and over, and over.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:34 AM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1

I hope he makes a full recovery so he can go to a nice fedral pen and be "violated" over, and over, and over.
Maybe thats what made him loony in the first place, i can't imagine a young fella just to wake up way day and decide to mutilate people, this guy is messed up, for a reason!