Ted Turner - Men Should Be Barred From Public Office For 100 Years - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2006, 09:56 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:21 AM
Ted Turner - Men Should Be Barred From Public Office For 100 Years

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/ea..._id=1003124692

"When asked about the possibility that the next U.N. secretary general might be a woman, Turner went a step further, advocating that men should be barred from public office for a hundred years in every part of the world.

As for women: "If we had women holding all the public offices, the amount of money on the military would be immediately cut way back and more would be spent on healthcare and education," Turner said. "There wouldn't be lack of family planning or birth control if the women ran things."

Generalization, and of course there are women who wouldn't be like that and men who are less "hawkish", but I often do wonder how different the world could be if women were truly in charge of it on that level. We really are in charge of it in so many ways, it's just that men don't want to face that fact

Old 09-20-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:21 AM
It would be interesting to see what happened if women did hold all of the political offices.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:37 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:21 AM

Ah, a self-loathing man condemning all men.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:38 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
It would be interesting to see what happened if women did hold all of the political offices.
Nancy Grace for President?

I'm not sure that it would make us that much less hawkish. Maybe a little bit.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:42 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Ted Turner - Men Should Be Barred From Public Office For 100 Years

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
We really are in charge of it in so many ways, it's just that men don't want to face that fact
Perfect example: sexual intimacy.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:52 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Ah, sure would be an interesting experiment!

But then that expression "absolute power corrupts absolutely" comes to mind - I don't think we'd be willing to relinquish power to the men after our 100 years was up!
Old 09-20-2006, 11:54 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe

Ah, a self-loathing man condemning all men.
So because he thinks women would make better leaders than men he's self loathing and condemning all men? Or because he "dares" to publicly state such a "revolutionary" idea? He's betraying the sanctity of manhood, isn't he?

And no, it has absolutely nothing to do with sexual intimacy.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:59 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

So because he thinks women would make better leaders than men he's self loathing and condemning all men? Or because he "dares" to publicly state such a "revolutionary" idea? He's betraying the sanctity of manhood, isn't he?

And no, it has absolutely nothing to do with sexual intimacy.
You admitted in the original post that it was an outrageous generalization. He's not betraying "the sanctity of manhood", but at the same time, he's also not promoting gender equality. The sexual intimacy comment was a tongue in cheek example of how, like your comment suggests, men don't like to admit when women are in conrol.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:02 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

I never said it was an outrageous generalization.

Why do you consider it self loathing for a man to say something like that? I think that's an important question.

He's not promoting gender equality? Yes he's not, only because even if women took over for 100 years it's a drop in the bucket compared to how long men have been in charge.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:02 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
You admitted in the original post that it was an outrageous generalization. He's not betraying "the sanctity of manhood", but at the same time, he's also not promoting gender equality.
Yes, because history up until this point has been such a balanced state of gender equality.....
Old 09-20-2006, 12:20 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I never said it was an outrageous generalization.
Okay, but it was a wee-bit over the top. There are good generalizations, like "those who live by the sword die by the sword", that help you understand the world better. There are also the outrageous generalizations, and I'm not sure how Ted's can be a "good" one.

Quote:
Why do you consider it self loathing for a man to say something like that? I think that's an important question.
Would you consider a woman self-loathing if she said that women don't belong in office anywhere?

It is self-loathing.

Quote:
He's not promoting gender equality? Yes he's not, only because even if women took over for 100 years it's a drop in the bucket compared to how long men have been in charge.
In charge of office, yes, but what does that say to the good men who are in office, besides your gender is a curse?
Old 09-20-2006, 12:26 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not sure I have time to run the world, what with my cooking and cleaning and all.

I love when men start screaming about gender inequality because in the last couple of decades there has been a move in the opposite direction. As opposed to thousands of years of suppression! Hilarious.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:28 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I'm not sure I have time to run the world, what with my cooking and cleaning and all.

I love when men start screaming about gender inequality because in the last couple of decades there has been a move in the opposite direction. As opposed to thousands of years of suppression! Hilarious.
Who's "screaming" about it?

It's a discussion, not a shouting match.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #14
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:21 AM
Quote:
Nancy Grace for President?

I'm not sure that it would make us that much less hawkish. Maybe a little bit.
Do you always have to find the extreme in order to dismiss the idea?
Old 09-20-2006, 12:31 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Okay, but it was a wee-bit over the top. There are good generalizations, like "those who live by the sword die by the sword", that help you understand the world better. There are also the outrageous generalizations, and I'm not sure how Ted's can be a "good" one.

Would you consider a woman self-loathing if she said that women don't belong in office anywhere?

It is self-loathing.

In charge of office, yes, but what does that say to the good men who are in office, besides your gender is a curse?
No, you were changing what I said to fit your own opinion- I never said outrageous so you shouldn't have said that I did. You think it is outrageous.

You're being a tad melodramatic, I think the point Ted is trying to make is that many men are screwing things up so royally that perhaps some changes should be made. It's his style to speak in hyperbole, but the underlying message is there and is valid in my opinion. He's hardly saying that being a male is a curse, and I don't know where you get that from

It is not self loathing for a man to express those sentiments, or to promote women as leaders. His statement is a good one because it forces us all to take a good hard look at our attitudes and our leaders, and I for one think it's good for any man to think critically about all of that and to not be threatened in any way by women in leadership positions. I think it's self loathing for a man to be sexist.