Ted Haggard -- still not straight (should he just pray harder?) - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2008, 06:12 PM   #16
She's the One

Local Time: 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

The sad thing is that his is a problem that has a solution. And a pretty simple one at that.
I know. That's what I'm hoping his gay brothers are praying for.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:14 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:03 PM
I just called my grandma and told her the news, and we got into a big argument over homosexuality and its origins.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:15 PM   #18
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest
I just called my grandma and told her the news, and we got into a big argument over homosexuality and its origins.
Isn't she the same one who called you a horrible sinner for swearing?
Old 02-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

Isn't she the same one who called you a horrible sinner for swearing?
Oh yes. She's a delight to have a reasonable debate with.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #20
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest

Oh yes. She's a delight to have a reasonable debate with.
I feel the same way about my own parents. My father is pretty reasonable on social issues, but gets a bit out there when it comes to international affairs. My mother is just out there, period...abortion debates are essentially impossible. No middle ground at all.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:03 PM
I guess I don't feel all that sorry for him (his family, yes. Him, no). As President of the National Association of Evangelicals (representing 30 million conservative Christians), he and other evangelical leaders pressured Bush aggressively for years for a federal marriage amendment (just for starters) while having sex with men. There are a lot of young men under his influence I feel a lot sorrier for. He did this to himself. He said he was conflicted his whole life. Yet he continued to exert damaging influence over a lot of truly innocent young men.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:44 PM   #22
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
There are a lot of young men under his influence I feel a lot sorrier for. He did this to himself. He said he was conflicted his whole life. Yet he continued to exert damaging influence over a lot of truly innocent young men.
I know. But he's getting more pathetic every time he's in the news.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:50 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

I know. But he's getting more pathetic every time he's in the news.
You're right. I'll try to find some compassion. Maybe he'll do something good with this.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:03 PM
i can only imagine the hell that gay men of a certain age had to live in, and i can only imagine the hell that gay men of all ages who grow up in fundamentalist (for lack of a better word) households live in.

so i do have sympathy for Ted, at least the man. Ted the political figure, no sympathy. and for the forces he worked for, no sympathy either.

could someone please explain this to me. we know FOR A FACT that sexual orientation is innate and immutable. we know FOR A FACT that these programs fail. why do the religious continue to point to their Bibles -- when it's obviously rather vague in it's condemnation of homosexuality, as Melon has repeatedly pointed out -- and ignore what is plain old common sense.

they've lost the argument. it's embarrassing. how many more Ted Haggards must there be before this ends?
Old 02-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

I feel bad for him too. He, and people in similar situations, likely have grown up in homes where they were taught from a young age that homosexuality is wrong and against God's Word. (I won't go into the misguided knowledge and sometimes completely wrong translations of said Scripture) Most people who have gone through an ex-gay movement will say that they felt an attraction to the same sex since they were young children and repeatedly tried to make it go away whether through prayer, counseling, etc. That has to seriously affect one's mental health. I see Ted Haggard as a man who felt so badly about who he is that he desperately tried to make it as difficult as possible for him to be that way.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
they've lost the argument. it's embarrassing. how many more Ted Haggards must there be before this ends?
What they routinely do is write him (and "Senator Widestance" or whatever they're calling him) off as a PERVERT so that they don't really care whether their programs work in his case or not. These people are unhinged.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:01 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
i can only imagine the hell that gay men of a certain age had to live in, and i can only imagine the hell that gay men of all ages who grow up in fundamentalist (for lack of a better word) households live in.

so i do have sympathy for Ted, at least the man. Ted the political figure, no sympathy. and for the forces he worked for, no sympathy either.

could someone please explain this to me. we know FOR A FACT that sexual orientation is innate and immutable. we know FOR A FACT that these programs fail. why do the religious continue to point to their Bibles -- when it's obviously rather vague in it's condemnation of homosexuality, as Melon has repeatedly pointed out -- and ignore what is plain old common sense.

Because Diamond can find some conservative doctor to say, "We're not sure, so clearly it's a choice."
Old 02-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

Because Diamond can find some conservative doctor to say, "We're not sure, so clearly it's a choice."
Hey, don't you tell me it's not a choice. Do you know what a struggle it is for me to wake up every morning and decide if I'm going to be attracted to males or females that day?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #29
She's the One

Quote:

Fear.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:11 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

let's look on the bright side.

maybe Ted met someone who was also being heterosexualized.