Teacher Suspened after comments about Bush - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:35 PM
Teacher Suspened after comments about Bush

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?O...7-c589c01ca7bf

Comparing some of the stuff Bush Said in the State of The Union Eerily similar to Hitlers speeches, etc... A student recorded all the teachers speeches and felt that the teacher was being baised. The school put the teacher on leave after hearing the audio recordings.

Audio recording in story.

Old 03-02-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 02:35 PM
Well, I'm a teacher....I've got students in my room right now so I haven't listened to the tape, but no teacher has the right to go on biased rants with impressionable students. I'm a social studies teacher so we discuss hot topics all of the time---I take pride in the fact that my students have absolutely no clue where I stand on the issues. Some think I'm a liberal, some think I'm conservative, it's great.

Edit: I'm really not a bad teacher for being on here during the school day--most of my students are on a field trip so I'm monitering a 3 student study hall

Old 03-02-2006, 03:11 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

A teacher should be like (The sepration of church and state) They are there to teach not give a one sided rant.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:16 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:35 PM
i think it's scary when we suspend teachers for what they think, whether it's idiots on the Right, as it seems to be in this case, or the idiots on the Left who were so disgusted at Larry Summers and his *suggestion* about women and math which eventually lead to him stepping down as president of Harvard.

[q]"I'm not in anyway implying that you should agree with me, I don't even know if I'm necessarily taking a position. But what I'm trying to get you to do is to think about these issues more in depth and not to just take things from the surface."
[/q]

i suppose the thought police come from all sides of the political spectrum. instead of political correctness, we've got Patriotic Correctness.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:35 PM   #5
War Child

Some idiot kid without doesn't like his teacher's political views, so he gets him suspended. This used to be America.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:37 PM   #6
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by LPU2
Some idiot kid without doesn't like his teacher's political views, so he gets him suspended. This used to be America.
Students have the right to learn both sides of the story, not one sided rants.

Any teacher who doesn't follow that should have their license suspended to retake some teachers education classes at the local university.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:38 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by LPU2
You can also say the same with Teachers being pricks. There was a story I read a while back, locally. In highschool you can create your own clubs. Well they had many different clubs, Gay-Lesbian, Transgender club, Muslim club, La Raza club, etc.. Well a group of highschool students wanted to create a Chrisitan club but were not allowed to due to seperation of church and state and some teachers were offended about having a christian club.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:45 PM   #8
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24

You can also say the same with Teachers being pricks. There was a story I read a while back, locally. In highschool you can create your own clubs. Well they had many different clubs, Gay-Lesbian, Transgender club, Muslim club, La Raza club, etc.. Well a group of highschool students wanted to create a Chrisitan club but were not allowed to due to seperation of church and state and some teachers were offended about having a christian club.
That makes no sense. How can you have one religion and not another? Where did you get this story from?
Old 03-02-2006, 03:47 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl

Students have the right to learn both sides of the story, not one sided rants.

Any teacher who doesn't follow that should have their license suspended to retake some teachers education classes at the local university.

what would have been "the other side"? was the teacher deliberately withholding information? or was the teacher trying to get students to notice historical parallels between ALL politicians and perhaps get them to see the similarities between the blueprints of political systems, democratic or fascist, and perhaps to further demonstrate how democracy can devolve into fascism if we are not alert and aware.

sometimes, there isn't "another side" to an issue -- and bad thinking comes in when we make equivocations between two things that should not be considered in the same stentence.

and regardless -- why should we shield high school students from different points of view? i hear a screaming out on the right that conservative students and faculty are muzzled in academia; how is this case any different?

once again:

[q]"I'm not in anyway implying that you should agree with me, I don't even know if I'm necessarily taking a position. But what I'm trying to get you to do is to think about these issues more in depth and not to just take things from the surface."[/q]
Old 03-02-2006, 03:48 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24

in any public school, students can have any religious club they want provided it is held after school and attendence is voluntary.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:50 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by doubleU

That makes no sense. How can you have one religion and not another? Where did you get this story from?
I will search for the story.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:37 PM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

what would have been "the other side"? was the teacher deliberately withholding information? or was the teacher trying to get students to notice historical parallels between ALL politicians and perhaps get them to see the similarities between the blueprints of political systems, democratic or fascist, and perhaps to further demonstrate how democracy can devolve into fascism if we are not alert and aware.

sometimes, there isn't "another side" to an issue -- and bad thinking comes in when we make equivocations between two things that should not be considered in the same stentence.

and regardless -- why should we shield high school students from different points of view? i hear a screaming out on the right that conservative students and faculty are muzzled in academia; how is this case any different?

once again:

[q]"I'm not in anyway implying that you should agree with me, I don't even know if I'm necessarily taking a position. But what I'm trying to get you to do is to think about these issues more in depth and not to just take things from the surface."[/q]

I've listened to the rant now, and as a teacher I believe it is pretty inappropriate. Very very one sided. We aren't talking about college students here, we're talking about high schoolers. They don't have the background knowledge or the experience to weed through biases and that sort. They are EXTREMELY impressionable. You make arguements that would work fantastic in a university or a class with advanced students and high school seniors, but this sort of rant is just not appropriate for younger students. You need to give them the appropriate background info and the base knowledge before you can go throwing out "historical parallels." I guess if you aren't a teacher, you probably just can't understand. Give the kids both sides and let them make up their own minds. This teacher basically likes to hear himself talk and is pushing the students towards his viewpoint.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:04 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl
I've listened to the rant now, and as a teacher I believe it is pretty inappropriate. Very very one sided. We aren't talking about college students here, we're talking about high schoolers. They don't have the background knowledge or the experience to weed through biases and that sort. They are EXTREMELY impressionable. You make arguements that would work fantastic in a university or a class with advanced students and high school seniors, but this sort of rant is just not appropriate for younger students. You need to give them the appropriate background info and the base knowledge before you can go throwing out "historical parallels." I guess if you aren't a teacher, you probably just can't understand. Give the kids both sides and let them make up their own minds. This teacher basically likes to hear himself talk and is pushing the students towards his viewpoint.

well, i have been a teacher, and my brother is a teacher, and so was my mother, and i went to public school for 12 years, so i think i have a better-than-average understanding of what goes on in a classroom.

i agree that a balanced -- though, again, what would the other side be here? -- approach is best, but i think that suspending a teacher over something like this, especially when he closes it with saying that his intention is to get someone to think beyond the surface. i'd say it is clear that he did his job as this particular student seemed so upset that he brought in a tape recorder -- i'm not saying that the appropriateness of the classroom content should be discussed with the teacher, but that suspension sends precisely the wrong message to the students.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:08 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

teaching kids that Bush is a bad man is not a bad thing, IMO.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:45 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by mikal
teaching kids that Bush is a bad man is not a bad thing, IMO.
Wow. Ok yes bush is a fuck up but to say that is wrong. Hell why not tell kids Communism is right and Democracy is wrong and how we should live like the chinese. Or hell if you put it into that light I bet you would love to say how Hitler is a saint compared to Bush or how Stalin was more of a man than Bush.

In my above post from earlier. I was wrong about the muslim thing. here is an article though.
http://www.thefire.org/index.php/article/44.html