Teacher Suspened after comments about Bush - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2006, 04:26 PM   #76
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:41 AM
There is a difference between teaching a SOCIAL STUDIES class and a GEOGRAPHY class. I feel like he is trying to cloud the issue.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:17 PM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Geography is a social studies class.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:12 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by JMScoopy
im glad he got suspended, i wish he got fired. these teachers gotta learn to teach what they're told to teach and keep their political views to themselves. no one gives a shit what a geography teacher thinks about Bush. quit spouting off, no one cares what you think, go back to teaching what the capitol of france is.

Clearly, people care.

IMHO, I think people from the US make a big issue over really small things because they have everything.

I know that may sound offensive but trust me, people here in Honduras are so busy trying to make ends meet this kind of stuff roles right off our backs.

Get over it, it's just a teaher's comment.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:24 PM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
There is a difference between teaching a SOCIAL STUDIES class and a GEOGRAPHY class. I feel like he is trying to cloud the issue.
I think it's possible he really does teach a social studies class and the reporter on the original story got confused and called it a geography class. When I was in school geography was incorporated into social studies class as part of the curriculum.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:06 AM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

(AP)The father of a teacher who made a classroom comparison between President Bush's State of the Union address and speeches made by Adolf Hitler says he and his family have received at least 12 death threats.

Teacher Jay Bennish is on paid leave from Overland High School in suburban Aurora while Cherry Creek School District investigates whether his Feb. 1 lecture violated a policy requiring that balancing viewpoints be presented in classes.

Bennish has defended the lecture, saying he was trying to encourage his students to think.

His father, John Bennish of Beverly Hills, Mich., told The Detroit News that people have called his house threatening to kill him or his family.

"This has been totally lopsided and one-sided," John Bennish said of the news coverage of his son's lecture, the News reported Wednesday.

John Bennish said he did not report the threats to police.

School district officials postponed a meeting with Bennish scheduled for Wednesday, citing calls "from people who have something they think may be pertinent to our investigation."

District spokeswoman Tustin Amole would not discuss the content of the calls but said they came after Bennish appeared on radio and TV. She did not know when the meeting would take place.

Amole would not say what disciplinary action Bennish might face if administrators conclude he broke any rules.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:53 AM   #81
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades

I think it's possible he really does teach a social studies class and the reporter on the original story got confused and called it a geography class. When I was in school geography was incorporated into social studies class as part of the curriculum.
Again, I have based all of my comments that this was a GEOGRAPHY class....

Not a geography lesson within a social studies class.

Apparently this is not even what the school rule is that he has allegedly broken.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:41 PM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

he came back to shcool this week

here's what the principal said

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...537621,00.html

"Frieler this morning said she had been well aware that Bennish’s geography discussions typically go beyond learning the names of rivers, mountain ranges, and state capitols.

"It’s not about maps anymore," she said. "It’s about politics, it’s about religion, it’s about culture."
Old 04-07-2006, 12:42 PM   #83
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:41 AM
And now this is the country of freedom for people express theirselves .
Old 04-07-2006, 01:03 PM   #84
Refugee

Old news - but two thumbs to the student taper...HE certainly expressed himself. Such propaganda is expected and better analyzed in a college setting, not high school geography class.