Teacher Suspened after comments about Bush - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2006, 04:07 AM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 02:44 AM
Yes, it was wrong for the teacher to state her own views, she prolly should have said to them "visit this website*points to the blackboard*http://www.dubyaspeak.com and make up your own minds!

I would have made a crap teacher!

Old 03-03-2006, 05:02 AM   #32
War Child

Location: in the land of the GEORGIA BULLDOGS...WOOF WOOF WOOF
Local Time: 12:44 PM
Dreadsox: You are the Voice of Reason---why won't they listen?

Old 03-03-2006, 05:57 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:44 PM
Wait a second let me get this stragiht....

someone recorded the teacher without the techer´s knowledge? Wouldn´t the student first need the authorization of the teacher?

Lol.. I cant believe it, a teacher gets FIRED for some comments in class.. ??

what a fucking ridiculous education system

Congratulations, America! Be proud of chasing down a teacher, will ya?

btw how about the free speech ideal - it doesn´t seem to hold in the classroom? LOL. This is a sign to all ye teachers! No more Bush criticism, do you understand? The kids might play Gestapo, record you and get you fired when their Mummys and Daddys AND the school director get off on their daily dose of righteousness!

AND to make it all legit, lets use the curriculum argument shall we!
Uh.. I wonder iof she would have been fired if she compared Chavez to Hitler. I BET NOT!! But I guess she can´t, the kids don´t know that there are eeeeh... other countries? eeeh with other political systems?

This country would make me laugh, if I could still laugh about it..
Old 03-03-2006, 07:34 AM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
Wait a second let me get this stragiht....

someone recorded the teacher without the techer´s knowledge? Wouldn´t the student first need the authorization of the teacher?

Lol.. I cant believe it, a teacher gets FIRED for some comments in class.. ??

what a fucking ridiculous education system

Congratulations, America! Be proud of chasing down a teacher, will ya?

btw how about the free speech ideal - it doesn´t seem to hold in the classroom? LOL. This is a sign to all ye teachers! No more Bush criticism, do you understand? The kids might play Gestapo, record you and get you fired when their Mummys and Daddys AND the school director get off on their daily dose of righteousness!

AND to make it all legit, lets use the curriculum argument shall we!
Uh.. I wonder iof she would have been fired if she compared Chavez to Hitler. I BET NOT!! But I guess she can´t, the kids don´t know that there are eeeeh... other countries? eeeh with other political systems?

This country would make me laugh, if I could still laugh about it..
you find it ridiculous, yet if some conservative were to speak his mind, you would bash him I am sure and say he had no right saying that.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:23 AM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:44 PM
It's not a free speech issue. The guy was supposed to be teaching geography and he gave a political speech.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:02 AM   #36
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:44 PM
My concern is that a 16 year old turned his teacher in for making some political statements and tells his mommy too. How immature
Old 03-03-2006, 10:03 AM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

do you think the student taped him because he was upset that the teacher was deviating from the curriculum, or do you think the student taped the teacher because he disagreed with the political nature of the discussion?
My understanding, and believe me I am taking it with a grain of salt, is that the student was coming home complaining that the teacher was not teaching the subject matter and that the parent did not believe the student.

There was a thread in here a while back with a similar type situation where the student was being verbally attacked, and the kids taped him because people did not listen.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:08 AM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

a few thoughts on this i had while on the treadmill:

-- no, the classroom is not a place for political rants, usually, however the interjection of a political discussion into the class can liven things up, even if unrelated to the subject at hand

-- i had a math class my sophomore year with a teacher who was very right wing -- he said, and i quote, "i find it ironic that the school is sponsoring a trip to go see 'Schindler's List' when we have a holocaust of unborn babies every year in this country," and this lead to an all-out, but well moderated by him, abortion debate

-- this teacher would also, once in a while, take a class and instead of pounding more mathematics, would give us lectures on astronomy, current NASA projects, and big bang theory -- made math far more interesting

-- we respected this teacher greatly -- if you can believe it, i was even more progressive in high school than i am now, and not once did i feel threatened or upset; in fact, i felt flattered because an adult was treating us like adults and recognized that there was a world out there larger than the quadratic equation

-- if anyone had told me as a high schooler that i was impressionable and would be unduly influenced by a teacher's rant, i'd have told you to quit patronizing me

-- ultimately, while i understand Dread's point about sticking to the subject matter, i think it works to the detriment of students NOT to deviate, for at least a day here and there, onto other topics and subjects and engage current events -- the greatest pleasure i had in college was finding parallels between what seemed to be disparate subjects (science and philosophy, english and psychology) and then connecting them to the outside world, and that to me seems like the mark of an educated person -- someone who doesn't just know the subject matter, but can connect dots and make connections, and i simply think it's a mistake to make our education system so ultra-concerned with quantifiable aspects of education (standardized test scores) that we lose sight of the less tangible aspects of education, but those are the aspects that make life interesting
Old 03-03-2006, 11:03 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
rather than quote every thing he said, i'll just give an overall to dread
ditto
Old 03-03-2006, 11:04 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24

if some conservative were to speak his mind, you would bash him I am sure and say he had no right saying that.
bullshit.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:09 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

I am not a Bush supporter at all. But comparing him to Hitler? That's going way too far.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:39 PM   #42
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:44 PM
Quote:
ultimately, while i understand Dread's point about sticking to the subject matter, i think it works to the detriment of students NOT to deviate, for at least a day here and there, onto other topics and subjects and engage current events
While I would hate to see an environment in which teachers were penalized for making known their own political leanings through the occasional wry aside or brief personal statement here and there, if they are regularly using up several minutes of class time to grandstand about nothing more than their own views, then that is a problem. As far as I can tell, there is no issue about devoting an occasional day or two to constructive discussion of current events involved here.

I have not heard the tapes, but to be fair to the student's father (whose disbelief was supposedly the reason for the taping), he has stated that all he wants is for the teacher to be reprimanded, then quickly reinstated so things can get back on (the curriculum) track. That said, I was a bit discomfited to read that the school's policy allows students to tape whatever class proceedings they like at any time, particularly since the fallout from this incident might now lead some to encourage students to abuse that privilege to go on witch hunts. I wonder how widespread such policies are.

P.S. Your portrayal of what happened to Larry Summers is IMHO waaaayyy off-base. I explained in this thread awhile back what my understanding of that situation is: http://forum.interference.com/t154931.html
Old 03-03-2006, 02:22 PM   #43
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
[B]
While I would hate to see an environment in which teachers were penalized for making known their own political leanings through the occasional wry aside or brief personal statement here and there, if they are regularly using up several minutes of class time to grandstand about nothing more than their own views, then that is a problem. As far as I can tell, there is no issue about devoting an occasional day or two to constructive discussion of current events involved here.

what kind of message do you think this incident sends to teachers? how many will dare deviate, even for a moment, from the curriculum if this is the precedent?

[q]P.S. Your portrayal of what happened to Larry Summers is IMHO waaaayyy off-base.[/q]

not off-base, but perhaps one-sided. that said, i am well aware of his, let's say brusque, leadership style, and was made well aware of his issues with Cornell West, for example.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:30 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24

you find it ridiculous, yet if some conservative were to speak his mind, you would bash him I am sure and say he had no right saying that.
Nonsense. While it is true that FYM has a lefty orientation, by U.S. standards, we have some conservatives here who are in no danger of getting kicked out.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:55 PM   #45
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:44 PM
Quote:
what kind of message do you think this incident sends to teachers? how many will dare deviate, even for a moment, from the curriculum if this is the precedent?
Bennish's school district policies, like most others, explicitly permit teachers to share their own political views so long as undue time is not devoted to them (like his taped 20 minutes, for example) and it is followed up by discussion entertaining both sides. From what I have read about his classroom, I am skeptical that your comparison to a math teacher's one-sentence pronouncement about abortion, followed by a well-moderated discussion, really gets at the full scope of what happened here. As I mentioned above, I *am* very concerned about students' unlimited freedom to tape classroom happenings inviting spinoff witch hunts here, however.
Quote:
not off-base, but perhaps one-sided. that said, i am well aware of his, let's say brusque, leadership style, and was made well aware of his issues with Cornell West, for example.
I guess this is not an appropriate place to re-initiate a discussion about Larry Summers, but I am rather surprised that you don't see his remarks about women in science as troublingly implicated in a broader context of administrative unconcern about the dearth of tenured women at higher professorial ranks. You do not think it is a red flag that tenureship of women at Harvard dropped from 32 to 4 per year under his presidency? The tenure decision process is caried out at the departmental level, but it is the president or chancellor who has final say (veto power) over whther the department's decision goes through. And they can always say they made their decision on financial grounds alone...