Teacher Shows 40 Year Old Virgin In HS Class

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WildHoneyAlways said:

I would hate to work for a district that would fire a teacher over this. Poor choice? Yes. Firable offense, no. I actually laughed when I read this. 2 students were caught having sex in the boys bathroom today at my school. My district wishes it had problems like teachers showing R rated movies in class.

I would fire him. Period. A 1st year teacher with that lack of judgement...bye bye.

And I have bigger problems than this in my school as well. The problem is, that if it were a veteran teacher, they would be protected by the union.

1st year teacher....dismissed without any reason at all is legal.

I am pretty much with dread on this (and thanks for changing your avatar)

it is best that he resigned

a new teacher, should be more careful

parents do have the right to have input on what their children can view

peer pressure is strong enough,
young girls do not need to watch a film that makes fun of virginity

i do realize that 95% or more of these kids go to R rated movies on the week ends
that happens on their parents watch
and is their responsibility.

i also think any R rated film should require parental permission,
Shindler and Private Ryan included
there are plenty of WW2 documentary films with real footage
that are far better tools for learning
than that Hollywood sentimentalized crap

deep said:

peer pressure is strong enough,
young girls do not need to watch a film that makes fun of virginity

interesting that you only mentioned young girls here. is it ok for the boys then? :eyebrow:

indra said:

interesting that you only mentioned young girls here. is it ok for the boys then? :eyebrow:

as I wrote it

i thought some one might
ask this

i don't think either should see this without permission

i did write

parents do have the right to have input on what their children can view

you want a piece of me?:eyebrow: :wink:

Last edited:
randhail said:

No, I was only equating them as both being R rated movies but didn't do a good job of it. The lesson is, as always, I'm an idiot. :wink:

No you are not....

I would allow Shindler's List R rated with a parental consent form.

When I was in High School I remember needing parental permission to see films on Neuremburg.

I am still trying to understand why you (NOT YOU...BUT YOU MEANING THE TEACHER)would show this particular movie in Spanish class.

Last edited:
so i'm not saying that this was right...I know a lot of you are questioning why he played the movie without even having a reason, but as a high school student i can honestly say there are a lot of teachers who the day after midterms or finals will just show a movie, that usually has nothing to do with any lessons we may be learning about. i know the day after midterms last year my english teacher showed us family guy!

Dreadsox said:

When I was in High School I remember needing parental permission to see films on Neuremburg.

When I was in high school we were shown several films (documentaries) with lots of footage from the various death camps. They were very stark and graphic. I don't recall any special forms or notification going out to parents. We were told we could leave the room if it was overwhelming though.

We watched Jailbait in drama class in Grade 10 to kill time at the end of the term.

And somehow, society didn't fall apart when a bunch of 15 and 16 year-olds saw a movie with sexual content in it...how could this be...? :hmm:

Just because it happened does not make it right.....

Headache....you have basically two years to get rid of any substandard teacher. After that...it takes about two to three years to remove a substandard teacher.

AS an administrator, the long term ramifications of allowing a teacher to continue with a lapse in judgement like that is unnaceptable to me. I would not take the chance with potentially five classes of students passing through the doors.

And if his judgement is lacking in this area...I wonder what else he has the potential to fuck up.

maybe the problem with education is how much time is spent "KILLING TIME"?

Dreadsox said:
Just because it happened does not make it right.....

Headache....you have basically two years to get rid of any substandard teacher. After that...it takes about two to three years to remove a substandard teacher.

AS an administrator, the long term ramifications of allowing a teacher to continue with a lapse in judgement like that is unnaceptable to me. I would not take the chance with potentially five classes of students passing through the doors.

And if his judgement is lacking in this area...I wonder what else he has the potential to fuck up.

In my area, (Chicagoland) an administrator can not fire a tenured teacher unless they do something illegal or immoral. "Substandard" teachers included.
There was a teacher at my high school who used to read the text book to the class from her desk. The school couldn't get rid of her. :shrug:
I just don't think showing this movie should end someone's career. We're not talking Basic Instinct here. :|

Last edited:
In 9th grade religion we watched Dead Man Walking and Lord of the Flies (and many more), both rated R. I remember being surprised at the time, since I was either 13 or 14. However, these movies actually had some value to the themes we were studying. I think my parents would've been pissed if the teacher wasted two hours on a crappy movie, just for fun. It was a bad move, but nobody will be scarred for life because of it.

WildHoneyAlways said:

In my area, (Chicagoland) an administrator can not fire a tenured teacher unless they do something illegal or immoral. "Substandard" teachers included.
There was a teacher at my high school who used to read the text book to the class from her desk. The school couldn't get rid of her. :shrug:

And that is the problem with education.....

Many administrators do not want to go through the two year process to get rid of substandard teachers.

There is no longer tenure in Masssachusetts and that may be a pretty big differenfce.

Dreadsox or WildHoney, what exactly is the philosophy (if there is one) behind having tenure for primary and secondary school teachers? My understanding is that years of experience adds to a teacher's (salaried) price tag and that this may sometimes result in less experienced teachers being favored for a position for no other reason--is that correct?

In academia, the main reason for tenure is to protect professors' intellectual freedom and right to take stances on issues in their field which may make them unpopular with some of their colleagues. Which, having spent my share of time on job search committees and having been privy to the sometimes ugly politics underlying certain colleagues' tenure decisions (which are a consensus process), I strongly believe this is still necessary. At the same time, I recognize that the freedoms tenure offers can be abused as well, in that it gives more breathing room to professors who exhibit a pattern of harassing, offending, neglecting and just in general poorly serving the needs of their students. It is particularly lamentable how the "publish or perish" imperative can result in less prolific writers who nonethless have glowing teaching reviews being cast off, or very prolific writers whose student reviews are poor being retained. My father, who was also a professor, used to (half-)jokingly say that in his opinion, there ought to if anything be a limit on how much research and writing a professor may pursue until s/he gets tenure, so as to instill a conviction that good teaching will always be their first responsibility.

:hmm: Perhaps a thread debating the pros and cons of the various job protections extended to teachers of all kinds might make for an interesting discussion--though I suppose those of us on the inside feel a much stronger sense of stake in the issue.

I just saw this film, 40 Year Old Virgin, tonite for the first time. It was funny, yet I believe it also had some very good messages in the film, as graphic as it was in some parts so it deserved the R rating.

Not knowing all the details of what happened with the teacher and in his Spanish classroom, I don't feel justified to say what I feel was right or wrong in what he chose to do. Certainly the "right" thing would have been to have planned to show the movie with permission slips from any students under the R rating age. As a parent (my son is now in his 2nd year in college) this is the least I would have expected.

IF the film was in fact shown the day after mid terms I would understand it's choice not having anything to do with a Spanish curriculum. I don't honestly feel it fair for the district to fire the instructor. Who knows this could have been an awesome teacher the school and district will now miss out on for simply have made a wrong decision showing a movie without parental permission from an underage students.

Lastly, this is the 21st century. I'm willing to bet a very high percentage of students in this high school class were not virgins when this movie was shown. There are far more serious problems I feel should be addressed in high school than firign teachers for showing such a movie in class, like peer pressure, drugs, having sex on campus, STD's, dropping out, cheating on tests......

That's my ten cents' worth.

yolland said:
Dreadsox or WildHoney, what exactly is the philosophy (if there is one) behind having tenure for primary and secondary school teachers? My understanding is that years of experience adds to a teacher's (salaried) price tag and that this may sometimes result in less experienced teachers being favored for a position for no other reason--is that correct?

This is one reason. I know of a school system in which the principal was always letting go of the newest teacher. I believe the theory was that it was salary related.

[Q]IF the film was in fact shown the day after mid terms I would understand it's choice not having anything to do with a Spanish curriculum. I don't honestly feel it fair for the district to fire the instructor. Who knows this could have been an awesome teacher the school and district will now miss out on for simply have made a wrong decision showing a movie without parental permission from an underage students.[/Q]

The district did not fire him...he resigned.

An awesome teacher would have used their brain. There would have been another incident of some sory if this is the judgement used by the teacher.

With the high demands of NCLB I as a parent would not be happy if a movie were being used to provide down time in school.

[Q]Thu Jan 26, 11:08 PM ET

LEXINGTON, Ky. - Showing the R-rated movie "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" during high school Spanish class this week resulted in suspension for the teacher, who later resigned.

Del Pino, who was hired in August, said he decided to show the film after a student brought it to class and said it "was very funny," the Lexington Herald-Leader reported Friday.

R-rated movies are not to be shown to anyone younger than 17 without a parent or guardian. The movie was rated R for pervasive, explicit and crude sexual content and drug use.

The policy also states that the videos/movies "must be part of the lesson plan with genuine instruction objectives."
[/Q]

Update.

[q]Tates Creek High School's video policy states that parents must give written consent for students to be shown an R-rated movie at school. Alternative assignments must be given to students whose parents object to the movie.
The policy also states that the videos/movies "must be part of the lesson plan with genuine instruction objectives." The policy discourages showing movies as "time filler."
"The school really did have a very strong policy in place and had gone through that policy with the staff member and so there really was no excuse for this to happen," Silberman said. "It was extremely unacceptable for any of our schools and we're just not going to tolerate that."
[/Q]

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/local/13723518.htm

Tenure, in IL, can be granted after 4 years. When I was in high school it was 2 years. There has been talk of bringing it back to 2 years. Personally, I don't mind 4 years.

Tenure is important for a variety of reasons. They can vary from school to school or district to district. In my district tenure will be important to me for 2 basic reasons:

1. Constantly changing administration
2. Union and school board issues

Trust me when I say teachers need to be protected from the school board. :yikes:

WildHoneyAlways said:
Tenure, in IL, can be granted after 4 years. When I was in high school it was 2 years. There has been talk of bringing it back to 2 years. Personally, I don't mind 4 years.

Tenure is important for a variety of reasons. They can vary from school to school or district to district. In my district tenure will be important to me for 2 basic reasons:

1. Constantly changing administration
2. Union and school board issues

Trust me when I say teachers need to be protected from the school board. :yikes:

#1 concerns me...

The Superintendant's Offcie always seems to be changing in our district.

The core administrators....do not....most people have been the principal of one building or another in my town for 25 plus years.

Back
Top Bottom