Teacher Shows 40 Year Old Virgin In HS Class - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2006, 10:10 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84

no, society isn't doomed because high schoolers saw this film. it's doomed when there is no longer any sense of innocence in our children - and when adults no longer seem to care. i am the parent of a child this age and if it had been shown to them, i would have been outraged.

Outraged? To me that seems a little strong. If keeping kids away from R rated movies until they're 17 is the biggest concern, then I think they should be pretty happy.

Once again, I don't understand why anyone can make a big deal about it, especially how it would wind up in a newspaper. What kid hasn't gone to school and had a day or a class where they don't do any learning?

Old 01-27-2006, 10:20 AM   #17
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail

Outraged? To me that seems a little strong. If keeping kids away from R rated movies until they're 17 is the biggest concern, then I think they should be pretty happy.

Once again, I don't understand why anyone can make a big deal about it, especially how it would wind up in a newspaper. What kid hasn't gone to school and had a day or a class where they don't do any learning?
i don't think this is about the fact that they spent one class not learning.

let me ask you this - do you have children?

Old 01-27-2006, 10:23 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

No one said it's the "biggest concern", it's just not appropriate-if for no other reason than it's a violation of school policy. There are reasons that movie policy is in place or it wouldn't be.

Yes kids have days in school where they don't learn anything but it's up to the teacher to do their best to avoid that. Isn't that part of a teacher's job? Yes kids need to have fun in school too, but there are so many ways to do that that don't violate school rules/policy and would meet with parents' approval.

I think parents should decide if their kids see R rated movies and what movies, not a teacher who seems rather clueless to me.

And I don't mean to bash teachers, there are plenty of great ones.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:37 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84

let me ask you this - do you have children?
Ah, the old "I don't have kids so I must not understand what's going on here" approach.

I'm sorry for thinking that this a complete non-issue, but this is way down on the list of things that get my panties in a tizzy.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:07 AM   #20
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 02:41 AM
Quote:

Ah, the old "I don't have kids so I must not understand what's going on here" approach.

I'm sorry for thinking that this a complete non-issue, but this is way down on the list of things that get my panties in a tizzy.
no, i'm not saying because you don't have children you must not understand what's going on here. that would be stupid.

however, i do think that if you had children you would better understand why i would say that i would be "outraged" at the showing of this film in my child's classroom.

that was all.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:11 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:41 AM
This was a stupid thing to do.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:16 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 04:41 AM
Quote:

You're right, you don't have to have kids to understand the issue- just a sense of right or wrong. As a teacher myself, a young teacher at that---I could never ever justify showing a movie like 40 year old virgin to my students. It's completely stupid. There are times that non-educational movies can be shown as a reward or something, but they should be school appropriate.

Too many kids today have no limits whatsover--I see it daily. I'm a middle school teacher. Many kids have parents who don't care. The kids are living in country where everything is over-saturated in the sexual sense. I'm only 24, and the difference I see from when I was in school even is amazing. Theres such a huge loss of innocence and it's really sad. When you combine this "non-issue" with all the other "non-issues" concerning teens, it begins building into a lot of big issues.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:37 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
How is this even news worthy?? They showed an R rated movie to high schoolers, oh no! Society is doomed.

I was 15 in high school when my history class watched Schindler's List. Should Mr. White be suspended for this??
Are you really comparing the 40 Year old Virgin to Schindler's list....

Old 01-27-2006, 02:39 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Well, the teacher did one thing right....resigned...if he were fired he would not work again.

As an administrator I would wonder why this was even on the radar in SPANISH class?

He was going to be fired. You cannot show a movie like this without permission from the parents....and the administration, sorry.

ANd the Shindler's List argument is really sad.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:46 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Thanks for the input. I'll make sure to make a note of it.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:27 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

You truly equate them as being the same?
Old 01-27-2006, 03:33 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

I didn't see anywere in the article where it said what grade it was, it just says high school students. What if it was a senior class, where everyone was 17 or 18 anyway? If it was a senior class that had an exam on a Thursday, and the Friday was before holiday break or something and the teacher just wanted to do something fun, then I don't see why it would be such a big deal.

Of course I don't really know all the details.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:36 PM   #28
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
I didn't see anywere in the article where it said what grade it was, it just says high school students. What if it was a senior class, where everyone was 17 or 18 anyway? If it was a senior class that had an exam on a Thursday, and the Friday was before holiday break or something and the teacher just wanted to do something fun, then I don't see why it would be such a big deal.

Of course I don't really know all the details.
Still there are many of age that do not want to see this type of movie.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:42 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Well, the teacher did one thing right....resigned...if he were fired he would not work again.

As an administrator I would wonder why this was even on the radar in SPANISH class?

He was going to be fired. You cannot show a movie like this without permission from the parents....and the administration, sorry.

I would hate to work for a district that would fire a teacher over this. Poor choice? Yes. Firable offense, no. I actually laughed when I read this. 2 students were caught having sex in the boys bathroom today at my school. My district wishes it had problems like teachers showing R rated movies in class.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:45 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Also, many teachers in my department show Full Metal Jacket. They send the letter home and an alternative assignment is offered.