Teacher kicks student for wearing GOP shirt - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2004, 11:28 AM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Ok here's where I see the difference. If the student attacked his or her prof, then yes they will be expelled. They targeted this person end of story.

If a proffesor or a student kicks someone who just happens to be a proffesor or student off campus, I don't see it as being automatic. If there are assault charges then yes by all means they should be fired or expelled.

It was a stupid an impulsive move, probably didn't hurt the guy, but none the less a stupid move. Should the response be an automatic firing, no, but that's my personal belief. Do people get fired for the fights they have at bars ,on the streets, or in their homes?
if a student attacked someone who was a prof, without knowing that the person was a prof, yeah... i'd be willing to bet money that... unless the person was legitimately provoked... that the student would be expelled, no questions asked.

As for the second part... if a prof got into a fight off campus would they be fired? not neccesarily... if it was reported in the press? yes... if it occured within the community that the college calls home? yes. if it was out of town and had nothing to do with the college and was not reported in the press but the college found out anyway? maybe, but probably not.

Old 11-01-2004, 11:34 AM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

As for the second part... if a prof got into a fight off campus would they be fired? not neccesarily... if it was reported in the press? yes...
I think the press is the key part to this question.

Old 11-01-2004, 11:38 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:39 AM
This was stupid as hell, but I'm not sure it calls for a firing. Now everyone knows she's "the jerk who kicked a Republican".
Old 11-01-2004, 12:00 PM   #19
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:39 AM
I am concerned about someone who obviously can't control her temper working around young people.

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:28 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

this woman kicked somebody because the person had a republican/bush shirt on.

fire her yesterday.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:50 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
I am concerned about someone who obviously can't control her temper working around young people.
Good point. I'm re-thinking my position on this. I don't approve of abusive behavior, to put it mildly, and this is definitely abuse. I feel really bad for the kid who got harrassed just for wearing a political t-shirt. OK, fire the . That last post of mine was rather silly.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:06 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think it should matter whether or not she realized the guy was a student. Either way, it's harassment. I don't know about you guys, but as a student I would NOT be too happy about my tuition $$ paying a Prof. who harasses people
Old 11-01-2004, 01:14 PM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
I don't think it should matter whether or not she realized the guy was a student. Either way, it's harassment. I don't know about you guys, but as a student I would NOT be too happy about my tuition $$ paying a Prof. who harasses people

being a person who was the victim of harrassment by an college employee, i feel very strongly on this issue. fire this woman.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:19 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

Yes, it is getting bad. I also saw on the news that a guy was arrested for holding his girlfriend hostage with a screwdriver because she said she was voting for Kerry. He had hoped to contain her until the election was over. I've seen too many of these things, both sides are losing it. I've never seen such strong feelings in an election.
Wouldn't it just cancel out anyways if he was holding her hostage instead of going to vote for Bush?
Old 11-01-2004, 01:33 PM   #25
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:39 PM
I think she should be fired. As Headache said, she's a representative of the college. Yes, she apologized, but at the same she's time insinuating that her actions would have been acceptable if he *hadn't* been a member of her college?

A college is supposed to be a place where people are introduced to new ideas, and where different opinions are heard and respected. The fact that this professor behaved in such an intolerant manner off campus calls for her dismissal.

At my college, we had a case of a professor allegedly harrassing Republicans in her class. I felt bad for her initially because it was very much "he said/she said" and it really sounded like the student might be using his political leanings to excuse a bad grade. But then this fall, on her first day of class she starts on a tirade against Republicans--and it got out because the Campus Republicans deliberately planted a student in the class. I don't really feel for either side, but talk about asking for it.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:28 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

being a person who was the victim of harrassment by an college employee, i feel very strongly on this issue. fire this woman.
That must have been a horrific experience. Yes, fire the .
Old 11-01-2004, 07:57 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

If you physically assault anyone...whether on campus or not, it's unacceptable. You can be arrested for that. Teachers can't get hired with a police record, and they shouldn't be able to be responsible for the education of students if they can't remember the first rule everyone learns in kidnergarten: Keep your hands to yourself! Resorting to physical violence shows a serious and deeper flaw of character....
Old 11-02-2004, 05:15 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

#1 rule posted at my kids' school;

"Please keep your hands, feet, body and objects to yourself"
Old 11-16-2004, 09:54 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:39 AM
Fire this irresponsible teacher for not tolerating a view other than her own. I see Bush-bashing shirts, signs, etc everyday, but I'm not going to do anything about it. What right do I have to interfere with their self-expression? None, because they are given that right, and I'm thankful for having rights of my own that all the "kill God" people can't take away from me. Really tired of all this unneccesary raw "emotion" that goes on, when really, some people just can't accept a different view. Shame shame shame.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:05 PM   #30
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Fire this irresponsible teacher for not tolerating a view other than her own.
So we should fire all racists, homophobes, and sexists? Hmmm let's start with D.C.