Teacher has kids tasting flavored condoms in class

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel kinda bad for male teachers and what they have to deal with as far as not every using language a student could interpret as sexual. I guess everyone has their own boundaries though. "Sweety" for me is across the line, but maybe that's because one of the most well-liked teachers (father, husband, baseball coach) at my high school got caught taping his neighbor changing and I've been totally weirded out ever since.

Overall, I think it's best and safest to have male teachers work with guys on sex ed and female teachers work with girls. We did it this way and it was WAY more informative and effective b/c people are going to get more useful answers to questions they might not normally ask a teacher of the opposite sex. This was in 5th grade and my teacher was a guy so in regular class we saw all the videos and read the books, etc, but then we split girls and guys and spent classes asking questions. I don't know about the guys, but the girls had LOTS of questions we'd NEVER have asked a guy teacher and some were things a guy honestly wouldn't know (like how to use tampons....this was before we had periods so we didn't know yet). I think I'd be pretty grossed out if my 5th grade teacher said I could lick a condom..."um....yeah, after you!" :yuck:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Overall, I think it's best and safest to have male teachers work with guys on sex ed and female teachers work with girls. We did it this way and it was WAY more informative and effective b/c people are going to get more useful answers to questions they might not normally ask a teacher of the opposite sex.

:up: Right on.

I agree on one level with LivLuvAndBootlegMusic about the Q&A part of sex ed. On another level, I think that sex ed should still be taught in front of both male and female students, so they can get over sexual insecurities easier. I think it should be a combination.

There's a huge double standard with male vs. female teachers. When I was in school I was called sweetie all the time, I was even told I was cute...never thought anything about it.

I worked with middle school and high school students as a youth leader for two summers when I was in college. One summer an eigth grade girl had a crush on me and told her friends that I had kissed her backstage at a play rehearsal. Well it got out, of course, to a large portion of the church within days. The girl finally confessed that she lied after her stories started contradicting and she found out she may cost me my job. But the church has never used college age students since then because of this instance. Now I was pretty well known in this church, been a member for 10 years at this point. Most were on my side and knew I wouldn't do something like this, but even when she confessed to lying there were parents that wouldn't allow their children to participate in any function I was heading. It was a horrible experience and I feel for any man who has to teach children. Society is ready to believe all men are capable of crossing those lines, but if a boy had claimed that about a female teacher the burden of proof would lie in his hands.

That's why I'll reserve judgement until I know for sure this is exactly how it went down in that classroom.

BVS....I am sorry this happened to you.

In my profession male teachers cannot be careful enough.

And LivLuvAndBootlegMusic you nailed it on the head. That is the way we teach it in my school. They get the basic information as a class, and they then split up.

this is 100% true, and it's almost worse when you work with young children. my frist job -- an internship, really -- was teaching in a preschool. i can't tell you how ultra-conscious i was of what i was saying and what my body language was like. and when you're teaching 3 and 4 year olds, they hug you all the time. and you have to be careful in a way that a woman never would have to be, to the point where it actually interferes with your teaching -- though at that age it's more positive social interaction and guided behavior.

martha said:
Especially when it suits your side?
I didn't want to elaborate on history too much, but plenty of horrible things have happened throughout history, The Titanic ("the ship God couldn't sink," yet it sank), The Holocaust, 9/11, anything along those lines. I can't say that all teachers abide by the rules, I was kicked around not only by students, but occasionally by a teacher as well for a hearing impairment. I don't believe the world is a perfect place, I think it's more like a miserable place.

Also, are you debating on whether or not to debate? I find having kids taste condoms a bit extreme to say the least. That's all I need to know to find it over the top.

Back
Top Bottom