"Teacher freaks out about National Anthem" - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2005, 07:42 PM   #1
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:27 PM
"Teacher freaks out about National Anthem"

Quote:
PG - Mar 2 - Independent internet news media reported the story today of a high school teacher forcing a student to stand for the pledge by yanking his chair out from underneath him. And we have the video. The teacher seems angry and is seen shouting in the video, even while the anthem is playing.

This happened at Brick Township High School in Jersey.

New Jersey School Board is considering ban of cell phones (due to the video) in its schools.

The student who recorded the affair, Corey Zappo,, has been suspended for 10 days.

The teacher has faced no discipline and no action is being taken.

Schools Superintendent Thomas L. Seidenberger issued a statement that "not all details cited on the Internet regarding this incident are factual." The statement did not elaborate.

"I don't want to hear a sound! Not a sound! Morning exercises will come on, you will stand, you will stand quietly, you will pay attention! Any Questions!?...Now stand up and keep your mouths shut!" Students stood up as the national anthem began playing.
In the middle of the anthem, Mantel walked over to Jay and demanded that he stand up. Jay silently refused, and Mantel yelled again, "Stand up!". Jay then said "I don't have to stand up". To which Mantel insisted "You have to stand." Jay said "No I don't". Mantel then reached over and pulled Jay's chair out from under him. Jay responded to Mantel's outrageous behavior by asking him "Are you serious?", to which he yelled "I am damn well serious."
http://www.politicalgateway.com/news/read.html?id=3068

I know there are some teachers in here... and am especially interested to hear what they have to say after watching the video.

neutral @ interference.com
Old 03-02-2005, 09:02 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 02:27 PM
Re: "Teacher freaks out about National Anthem"

Quote:
New Jersey School Board is considering ban of cell phones (due to the video) in its schools.

The student who recorded the affair, Corey Zappo,, has been suspended for 10 days.

The teacher has faced no discipline and no action is being taken.
This is the part I don't get.

Ok yes I believe in discipline for not behaving.

But I also believe one does not have to be forced to stand, now this doesn't make me unpatriotic, just a believer in freedom of speech.

So which one was it? You don't rip a chair out from underneath a student, I do know that.

But there are still a lot holes not filled in. Why does the video taker get suspended?

Old 03-02-2005, 09:13 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 02:27 PM
Well, I'm a teacher here are a few of my impressions...

I'd say this guys biggest problem is he has no control of the classroom. Any teacher that has to scream like that won't get any respect from the students, and he's definitely not a role model in any way shape or form.

From this footage, the students were being pains in the ass and were obvioulsy trying to piss off the teacher...I won't pass judgement though because it is a short clip we don't know what was happening prior to when the video camera--the beginning just shows the teacher ranting, but something must have set him off. Also, the mere fact that the students had a video camera there to me seems like they were trying to set this teacher up somehow. And, I definitely didn't see the teacher manhandling or pulling the seat out from that student--I watched the video a few times and it's plain to see the student stood up right as the teacher got close.

Also, no principal, superintendent, school board would ever back up an abusive teacher--that's just asking for the school to get it's ass sued for all it's worth. My guess is there there's a lot more to this story than link shows.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:34 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:27 PM
I don't think the kid was exercising a political stance. He's probably an insolent little shit.

Melon
Old 03-03-2005, 05:38 AM   #5
The Fly

Local Time: 08:27 PM
I am also a teacher. I agree the kids were being a bit sneaky,but that teacher has no right to yell at those kids like that. I am the first to admit kids that age can piss people off, but as adults we need to maintain control.
He was treating those kids like they were in some boot camp. Kids can't learn in that type of environment.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:54 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I don't think the kid was exercising a political stance. He's probably an insolent little shit.

Melon

We've hindered teacher's ability to maintain control of the classroom and allowed children to view adults as equals or not worthly of respect.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:59 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

The teacher will have to be disciplined.

The students appear to have set him up, and I am betting it has happened before to someone else in the room.

I do think the student is wrong. I have had students who for religious reasons do not say the pledge, but they still stand out of respect for the people around them.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:05 AM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

when i was in high school i had a teacher that used to yell at kids who didn't stand for the pledge... he used to call them "a bunch of iraqis." it took every ounce of energy in me to keep from cracking up when he'd do this, partially because when he yelled he sounded like yogi bear. i was always waiting for him to throw in a "pic-a-nic basket" or something.

more and more in education, the kids run the show. parents are so uptight about college and scholarships and the like that if a kid gets less than a 90 or gets a bad comment on a report card or even gets detention, they freak out and threaten to sue. there's a school district here on long island... Jericho School District... which is rated one of the top districts in the nation. i actually think they were #9 in the nation a year or two ago. they also have the highest paid teachers in the region. but the place is an absolute joke... every kid gets a 90... there is no learning going on. new teachers are so afraid of flunking a kid because if they get problems from parents, it could cost them their tenure. so every kid moves right along without risk of ever getting left back, gets great grades, moves on to a good college and never learns a thing.

we're currently raising a generation of kids who cannot think for themselves.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:24 AM   #9
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
when i was in high school i had a teacher that used to yell at kids who didn't stand for the pledge... he used to call them "a bunch of iraqis." it took every ounce of energy in me to keep from cracking up when he'd do this, partially because when he yelled he sounded like yogi bear. i was always waiting for him to throw in a "pic-a-nic basket" or something.
Oh my. That is awful. I still have nightmares about my first day at school in the States, having come over from England at the age of 11. I was dumped at a desk and given no work, no paper or pens (which I realise is normal in the US, but in the UK we used to be given blank schoolbooks and a pencil or pen), wasn't introduced to anyone. The teacher ignored me the entire day and I had to ask other kids what to do... and then got told off for talking in class.

We did the Pledge and sung the national anthem every morning... except no-one had warned me about this, I had never heard it before, and didn't have a clue what the fuck was going on. Nobody dared to not stand for the Pledge - even me on my first day of school, not knowing what any of it was about.

Quote:

more and more in education, the kids run the show. parents are so uptight about college and scholarships and the like that if a kid gets less than a 90 or gets a bad comment on a report card or even gets detention, they freak out and threaten to sue. there's a school district here on long island... Jericho School District... which is rated one of the top districts in the nation. i actually think they were #9 in the nation a year or two ago. they also have the highest paid teachers in the region. but the place is an absolute joke... every kid gets a 90... there is no learning going on. new teachers are so afraid of flunking a kid because if they get problems from parents, it could cost them their tenure. so every kid moves right along without risk of ever getting left back, gets great grades, moves on to a good college and never learns a thing.

we're currently raising a generation of kids who cannot think for themselves.
Good lord... that's apalling. I remember thinking the education system was lousy when I saw one of the grading systems at my middle school in Milwaukee - students were given 10% for writing THEIR NAME on the paper, and another 5% for putting the date on it. I mean, what the fuck is that all about?!?! I asked this question, being used to England where things were VERY different. I was told that this was the only way that we kids would remember to name and date our papers. My 4.0 GPA kind of lost it's prestige for me after that little discovery.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:26 AM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

you get 400 points on the SATs for spelling your name right. i never quite understood that. why not just have the test go to 1200
Old 03-03-2005, 10:28 AM   #11
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
you get 400 points on the SATs for spelling your name right. i never quite understood that. why not just have the test go to 1200
Headache... I know you're just joking. PLEASE tell me that you are kidding, or else my brain may explode... our education system in the UK isn't particularly wonderful, but that is just complete idiocy.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:30 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sallycinnamon78

Headache... I know you're just joking. PLEASE tell me that you are kidding, or else my brain may explode...
The scoring scale is from 400 to 1600

I guess they want to maintain some level of student's self-esteem....
Old 03-03-2005, 10:34 AM   #13
New Yorker

By what? "Oh, well done! You're what, 16? And you can spell your own name already! Well done, you'll be learning the full alphabet next". Being treated like a moron never did much for my self esteem, personally, and I'd be surprised if it inspired anyone else - well, if they have more than half a braincell.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:42 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

There is a valid statistical reason fro doing it that way, and I vaguely think it has something to do with something. It really does not impact elementary school so I cannot recall what it was.

It is not to give 400 points for free though.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:46 PM   #15
New Yorker

I thought that was a little TOO ridiculous to be the case.