Teach for America - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2003, 07:04 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:10 AM
For the record; I donít believe any of that crap.

I heard about this Education Next project of the Hoover Institution yesterday.

I thought I would drop it in here, instead of starting a new thread. (I get billed $1.50 US for every thread I start.)

I believe the Administration would like to obliterate public education. They always begin with policy papers.

Old 06-08-2003, 07:06 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:10 AM
Melon,

Without giving too much away, ed-reform in Massachusetts has led to the following state test, MCAS.

In the first year of MCAS, the school I teach in was in the top 10.
We were redistricted with a much more transient population in the next year from a school that placed just within the top 500 schools. We did not score as well the year we redistricted or the year after, but we finished in the top 180 elementary schools. They, with redistricting moved to the top 300. At the end of three years, a report card is issued. My school was labeled a FAILING to PERFORM SCHOOL. The other school was labeled a HIGH PERFORMANCE SCHOOL.

Please keep in mind that we still have a higher ranking than them. The principal and some teachers were eligible for bonuses because of their improved rankings.

We inherited their population, still performed better than them and this year now five years into redistricting are now in the top 100 again with the population that the other school did not want and lobbied to have moved. Nothing like having district meetings in which so-called professionals laugh because you inherited children they felt could learn. It took us five years but we can and are doing it.

This said, I am rambling, in 2006 under NCLB, I believe students in my state can switch schools if their school is labeled "FAILING TO PERFORM". This is a dangerous precedent to set, because as you can see, it takes time to make schools work. This should bring more students to my school however, if we continue to be successful.

Old 06-08-2003, 07:11 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:10 AM
PS: I am so proud to have these kids in a place where they are accepted and welcomed with open arms. We LOBBIED to keep them when redistricting came up again last year.
Old 06-08-2003, 08:21 PM   #19
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
From Deep's Article:

Teachers, moreover, enjoy longer vacations and work far fewer days per year than most professional workers.
Vacations????

What
the
FUCK???????

I work 185 days and I get paid for 185 days. Who ARE these people?
Old 06-09-2003, 08:31 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
America used to have plenty of money, but you can see where our nation's priorities are: military spending and tax cuts. As a nation, we are not over-taxed; we are underpaid. However, ask any conservative think-tank and they will make every excuse under the book *except* that people are underpaid.

Melon
by this logic canada should be sitting pretty. taxes have only marginally been cut and military spending is almost non existent, relative to similar sized and role nations. yet teachers in canada often make many of the complaints martha and dreadsox are making. either it's ill logic, or the canadian system is quite bungled.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:13 PM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 10:10 AM
If you want to teach, good for you. You are brave!

I started my teaching degree in February and dropped out of it in April. I did fine at the theory and all, but I had to do prac after just four weeks of education at uni and it was awful I have already done 2 years of history and geography at uni (in a dual degree) and they expect that we'll be able to go into a classroom with four weeks of educational theory? Wrong! And this was in a preschool!

So I am going to finish off my Arts degree which means I don't know what I will do in terms of a career. Everyone I ask says, "Why don't you teach?" Too much of a long story to explain why I don't want to!

But I do know some great teachers who love their jobs, I just think you need to be a particular type of person to do well. If you are that kind of person, go for it!
Old 06-10-2003, 11:59 PM   #22
She's the One

Only four weeks of school and they sent you to the little kids! That's not enought for any age group! No wonder you bailed!
Old 06-11-2003, 06:09 PM   #23
Refugee

Let's just keep one simple fact in mind when considering teachers salries

without teachers...you dont' have doctors lawyers, architects, city planners, dentists, etc etc etc etc etc
Old 06-11-2003, 07:17 PM   #24
She's the One

Arun:

Old 06-16-2003, 10:54 PM   #25
Refugee

hehe thanks martha....ppl alwasy consider medicine a "noble profession" but in my eyes it's teaching
Old 06-17-2003, 01:29 PM   #26
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

I keep checking TFA's website to see if the applications are up yet...

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:20 PM   #27
She's the One

PAX!!!!

Just this afternoon I talked to someone who works in the Long Beach school district who works with TFA teachers. She says that the district gives their TFA teachers a coach and all kinds of support. She couldn't say how much TFA support is given, but she did say that Long Beach is really happy with the program, they keep all lot of the TFA teachers, and that many of the TFA teachers they get are outstanding. She had good things to say about the program. She's also someone I've known for 20+ years, and I know she's very reliable.

So there you go.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:52 PM   #28
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Wow! Thanks for the info, Martha!

I'm even more psyched now.

Join Amnesty.