Tax deduction for big cars ? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2003, 01:03 PM   #16
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 04:50 PM
Oh those tricky accountants...I worked at a tax prep firm for one tax season and they encouraged all of their clients to take any and all deductions they could legally get away with.

Since my husband and I opened our business, our highest tax bill has been $24,000 and our lowest has been $12,000...we don't own a home and have very few legitimate tax write-offs. Our business vehicle deduction saves us every year...I really would consider buying one of the larger trucks or SUV's for the bigger deduction. Unfortuntaly, I pay so much in taxes, I can't afford the higher payments so I'll have to stick to my mid-size SUV and take the standard deduction.

Old 01-26-2003, 01:10 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:50 AM
I want a Cadillac. Or an old Ford.

Or an american Military Jeep (sssshhh, don┤t tell that to STING2, they┤re cool).

Old 01-26-2003, 01:30 PM   #18
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:50 PM
my dream car would be a hybrid, the toyota prius. it's so expensive, though. the base model (which would be fine with me, the only thing it's missing is a cd player which i don't want anyway cuz i'm putting my car stereo in whatever new car i get) is just as much as my mom's new car, the toyota matrix. i don't think i can afford $400 a month car payments, plus the slight increase in my car insurance. i already pay $140 a month in car insurance.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:05 AM   #19
War Child

140 a month for car insurance? ouch. :S
so shes taking lots of vitamins
cause she knows that
it be tragic
if those evil robots win
Old 01-27-2003, 01:08 AM   #20
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cow of the Seas
140 a month for car insurance? ouch. :S
it used to be $180. it went down when i turned 19. it's mainly because i was in a car accident a couple years ago. my insurance will look awesome when i'm 25. that's when it really goes down here, plus my accident will be removed from my driving record.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:36 AM   #21
War Child

lovely.
cause she knows that
it be tragic
if those evil robots win
Old 01-27-2003, 10:31 AM   #22
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:50 PM
Uh oh. here comes Ms. Sharky, whose dad worked for Ford, whose Mom drives a Navigator....

First, its just like the tawealthy tax argument. Of course more expensive cars are going to more of a tax break than cheap cars. A tax break of 10% can yield $100 for a cheap car and $1000 for an expensive car.

Second, SUVs are considered trucks not passengers vehicles per se. So as someone said, the break is for farmers who may buy a pickup truck or heavy equipment for work. Its also for church groups that buy a 18-seat van to haul people to volunteer sites or whatever.

As for placing blame, point your finger to everyone in DC. Bush continues to make sure his oil friends are taken care of. Clinton killed government funding to the Detroit automakers ear-marked to find an alternative fuel solution.

The automakers did a great job keeping this economy running after 9/11 by encouraging people to buy cars. But they also have to make money and make a much larger percentage of profit from an SUV than an economy car.

As for my mom, she's trading her Navigator in for a smaller SUV -- still an SUV but not as much of a gas guzzler. Believe me, I'm working on her.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:53 AM   #23
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i don't mind that farmers can get a break on buying these large suvs to haul stuff. not only do most live on or below the poverty line, they also use suvs for carrying things and driving on rocky roads. for all intents and purposes, the suv was created for someone like a farmer.

i do have reservations about a church getting a tax break on one, if not only because they already get tax breaks on everything else (and people in churches have exploited this sometimes, but not all churches and not all people) and also they could spend their money better buying a van (are vans included in this? i don't remember).

but it pisses me off that someone who, for example, runs an insurance company or owns a gas station can exploit this loophole. for example, that guy in deep's article doesn't need a ford excursion. too many people already own these cars that do not fit in a space (especially when they insist on backing in to show off and park all crooked but refuse to straighten it out) and i get sick of driving in my compact car (or even my mom's wagon) and seeing a spot near the door, getting all excited, only to see i can't fit because someone in a hummer or excursion is double parked.

so in essence, i have no problem with the tax break, really. i just want this loophole to be closed so people will stop exploiting it. this money that's being wasted on the exploiters could be better spent elsewhere, since our economy is supposedly doing so poorly. perhaps putting these millions (or billions?) to improving schools, or even giving everyone an equal tax break?
Old 01-27-2003, 02:27 PM   #24
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:50 PM
hmm...interesting we're having this discussion now. the wall st. journal ran a story today about car companies quietly curbing their sales of SUVs. PM me if you want a copy [the site is subscription based and I have one]
Old 01-27-2003, 06:08 PM   #25
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:50 AM
I want to know how we decide what kind of vehicle we all need? If we take this kind of logic, then I and most all of us here, are fit for a motorbike or a 2 door tin can. We are all only one person, unless we have a twin attached to us.

Forget the fact that some of us do obscene amounts of driving, or towing or camping or haul frequently. Forget the fact that small cars will not meet these needs. Oh yeah, people in the cities cannot possibly have a need for such a ridiculously large vehicle.

Really, apologies for sounding so pissy here, but the anti SUV attitude in here is really something. You'd think people who drive such vehicles are criminals. There is a point to be made in the fuel issue for sure, but does anyone really have an idea of how many owners of such cars actually require them? I'd say a lot. Forget the wankers who get around in brand new 4WD's just to look like the tools they are. There's a damn lot more who want safety, or have an absolutely genuine need for one.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:55 PM   #26
War Child

*swallows angela's remark.

i believe i fall into that category. point taken, and noted.
cause she knows that
it be tragic
if those evil robots win
Old 01-27-2003, 10:19 PM   #27
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 04:50 PM
Great points Angie.

I drive an SUV and I'm not evil. I only fill up with gas every 2 weeks and I drive an average of 2 miles per day so I don't think I'm huge contributor to air pollution and our dependency on fossil fuel. Its not obscenely large and I hate feeling like I have to say I'm sorry for my choice of vehicle.

And I would still be driving my tiny little fuel efficient 85 Honda Civic except an 87 year old woman ran a red light and hit me at 50 miles per hour in her big ass Buick and totaled it. I've been a little leary about tiny cars since then and like the safe feeling I have in my SUV.