talk radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I said propaganda. Didn't distinguish between right wing and left wing and I include Air America in propaganda. I'm an equal opportunity cynic.:wink:

Last edited:
BonosSaint said:
Any value besides propaganda and conspiracy theories?

i think you'd find your best talk radio on NPR (best being defined as least propaganda-ish). but as far as the commercial talk stuff goes it's just party line towers telling likeminded individuals what they want to hear to feel better about themselves. it's like that bald guy from crossfire said on leno one night, people don't want to be challenged on issues or what they believe, they just want what they already believe to be reinforced. yay u.s. media!!! :up:

i find NPR extremely biased. they just do it in a more intelligent way. i think talk radio is valuable as long as you have a host where anyone can call in and present their opinions. that leaves out quite a number of personalities on both sides these days.

Boston01 said:
i find NPR extremely biased.

how?

i listen to NPR every day, and have for years and years and years.

i cannot hear any bias other than bias towards an audience that isn't seeking sensationalistic stories or worldview-reinforcing soundbytes.

maybe i'm missing something, but i find the most intelligent, nuanced, and informative reporting on NPR -- no place else.

it actually gives me hope that the average american isn't as simple as Madison Avenue would like to think.

BonosSaint said:
Any value besides propaganda and conspiracy theories?

Entertainment value: My friends and family find talk radio highly amusing, because when I listen, I occasionally become quite wrapped up in the dialogue; so much so that I have been known to stand in the middle of an empty room expounding my own contrary opinion toward the Sony, and at the top of my lungs, too.

It's a good thing I can't get any kind of reception on the crappy radio in my car.

Re: Re: talk radio

echo0001 said:

Entertainment value: My friends and family find talk radio highly amusing, because when I listen, I occasionally become quite wrapped up in the dialogue; so much so that I have been known to stand in the middle of an empty room expounding my own contrary opinion toward the Sony, and at the top of my lungs, too.

It's a good thing I can't get any kind of reception on the crappy radio in my car.
:yes:

I've been thrown out of several rooms for talking back to the radio as well as dotting my walls with thrown pens.:lol:

Irvine511 said:
how?

i listen to NPR every day, and have for years and years and years.

i cannot hear any bias other than bias towards an audience that isn't seeking sensationalistic stories or worldview-reinforcing soundbytes.

maybe i'm missing something, but i find the most intelligent, nuanced, and informative reporting on NPR -- no place else.

it actually gives me hope that the average american isn't as simple as Madison Avenue would like to think.

Haven't you heard? If it's intelligent and truthful, it's "liberal." If it blathers on and on with the host screaming at callers who don't support the Bush Administration 100%, then it's "balanced." :rolleyes:

Melon

nbcrusader said:
Bias is perspective. And everyone has one.

Indeed. There's no such thing as "objectivity," but I do think NPR strives hard to reach that as much as one possibly can in the media.

Melon

At least 90% of the talk radio I have heard in the U.S. (syndicated and local) is conservative in nature (this includes shows strictly political and otherwise -- i.e., even the "2 talk show hosts doing bathroom humour" type talk shows).

I believe most of U.S. talk radio is "conservative conditioning for the masses" and it's been quite effective over the last several years.

Last edited:
melon said:

Haven't you heard? If it's intelligent and truthful, it's "liberal." If it blathers on and on with the host screaming at callers who don't support the Bush Administration 100%, then it's "balanced." :rolleyes:

Melon
:lol: So true...

Somehow, many people seem to have been brainwashed into thinking that intelligent thought is suspicious or sneaky.

The caricature of conservatives as being bible thumping ignorami is really quite interesting, while there are certainly those types out there it is not really the majority of conservatives and certainly not the majority of the right.

The representative sample of talk-radio is just that; the talk radio hosts and their audience. Not really a full picture of the modern right or it's intellectual traditions.

Anti-intellectualism seems to be a passtime of many in both the left and the right. There are plenty of foolish individuals who view science with contempt when empirical testing of their fad alternative medical treatments finds that they are useless, the anti-nuclear lobby, the environmentalism movement can often engage in almost superstitious levels of illogic. Debate is hijacked and science is made out to be bad in these cases.

Do I expect or desire the media to pour glowing praise upon the Bush administration at all? no. But likewise I do not want to have comments like "Bush regime" snuck into news bulletins, or to have a lead story about four Palestinians killed by the IDF only to find out halfway through the article that they had been firing mortars at settlers. To at least see some coverage of the UN hosted meetings in the world like their notorious anti-racism conferences and to see the agenda and conclusions of those meetings which inevitably attribute all racism to the USA and Israel and do not contain any criticsm of the Mugabe's or Mubbaraks.

There are believe it or not a great many regular men and women who have no particular religious beliefs, are in favour of gay rights, are pro-choice who are centre right in their views. By painting the right in such an utterly hostile manner it only drives these type of people away and brings in the nuts.

Last edited:
at the end of the day, most talk radio -- from Air America to Limbaugh and Hannity -- is entertainment.

they're playing characters, and to an audience.

my love NPR, however, is quite the opposite.

Back
Top Bottom