Syriana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks really interesting. I'm waiting to get my free passes at work this week.

can't wait to see some great liberal propaganda:lol:

It looks awesome!!!!!:drool:

nbcrusader said:
I'm not sure I was dismissing the movie. But, whatever.

I interpreted it as that you were interested in it, because it's a conspiracy film. Is that a correct assumption?

As for myself, looks like an interesting concept, but I kind of bombard myself with enough politics here. My film tastes tend to be rather apolitical.

Melon

The movie was great! Hopefully this opens some peoples eyes to how complex and crazy the world of oil politics is to everyone. Somewhere I saw some liberal Democrat was offended because it was "damaging to the United States" or whatever. I think America already projects a negative image worldwide. Maybe people here need to see just how bad it is and hopefully do something to help the cause. Arrogant Americans I hear from my buddies from overseas when I talk of world politics and other issues.

vinucci2008 said:
Somewhere I saw some liberal Democrat was offended because it was "damaging to the United States" or whatever.

I frankly find this statement to be wholly illogical. "Liberal Democrats" already admit our global image has been tarnished worldwide. Sure it wasn't a "conservative Republican" who was offended by perceived unpatriotic anti-Americanism? That would make more sense, but feel free to elaborate.

Melon

martha said:
You might want to avoid it, then. It's relentlessly political. Grimly, pessimistically political. :| No rays of hope anywhere. No dawning of a new era, no recovery of innocence, no renunciations.

On that note, read my latest journal entry. I promise it'll be a riot.

On this note, good night everyone.

Melon

I really want to see it this weekend but I'm tempted to see King Kong instead

pleasingly plump George Clooney and delightfully adorable Matt Damon vs huge cgi ape and Jack Black

intellectual stimulation vs three hours of mindless drivel

:hmm:

That movie caused Clooney's spinal injury, apparently spinal fluid was coming out his nose. Was there a torture seen with him or something? I haven't seen it yet but I heard there was a scene which caused him many problems which he has just recently overcome.

it had something to do with him flipping backwards or something, I can't recall the interview. My eyes were glued to the screen :love: Would like to see the movie eventually though... Still need to see the last one about Murrow

martha said:
Part of the torture was him getting pretty severely beaten while tied to a chair and then falling over in the chair.

Maybe that was it? :yikes:

Yes I believe that was it, he hurt himself falling over in the chair. Is it wrong that I want to play nurse to him? :shifty:

Sorry, back to the serious subject matter :wink:

I had a mixed but mostly positive reaction.

SPOILERS BELOW

I loved serveral of the storylines but wasn't really moved by others. The soul of the movie for me was Matt Damon's character, the young blue collar Pakistani kids working at the oilrefinery (the ME needs a Springsteen :drool: ) and Prince Nassir (who was an intelligent, debonair, smart-assed, reformist HOTTIE). I adore Clooney, but his character didn't really move me. I was left unclear as to what motivated him, whereas Damon's frustration with corruption and ineffeciency, committed young capitalist believer that he was, really came through. Clooney was mostly just owned by the CIA. Fine, that could be powerful stuff, but I can only really care about that if I think he was once his own man or might be again, and I never got to see that. If they had trimmed some of the fat, perhaps they could have developed that more. And I would have loved more about those oil worker kids. I think that's where a lot of conflict is today, and the movie didn't really go there much except as a teaser to "check it off the list", if you will, since the script was already so packed. And the oil lawyer who was with Justice to create "the illusion of due dilligance", I had no reaction to. Yawn. He felt very flat and 1 dimensional, and yet got too much of Prince Nassir's screen time. ;)

A couple of great lines.

1. "A country with 5% of the world's population has 50% of its military spending. I'd say they're becoming less persuasive" (or something like that)

And when Clooney is trying to get back to Lebenon, he checks with a colleague who tells him, "Well, clear it with Hamas first" :lol: Um, yeah. Important safety tip.

Anyway, some of the above, definitely intriguing and worth going to see. I liked it a lot!

Last edited:
WaffleMovies.com

Back Shelf Beauties
by Willie Waffle

Syriana

I hope you are the kind of moviegoer who has some patience, because this one will prompt the idiots sitting behind you to be whispering all the way through. "Who was he again?" "Is that the guy whose son did that thing?" Yes, Syriana is a movie where everyone has to pay attention and follow the story to get it, so walk in with your brain ready to function.

Syriana is several stories all related to each other without any of the characters realizing it, kind of like in real life. George Clooney stars as a CIA agent Bob Barnes - a man desperate to find a rocket launcher after it is stolen during his covert operation in Tehran. Jeffrey Wright is lawyer Bennett Holiday with a powerful DC law firm hired to help a major oil company, Connex, receive Justice Department approval for their merger with a smaller company, Killean, at a time when Killean is being accused of breaking the law to win a lucrative contract to drill for oil in Kazakhstan. Matt Damon is an energy analyst consulting a revolutionary thinking Middle Eastern prince, Prince Nasir Al-Subai (Alexander "Deep Space Nine" Siddig), who is ready to ascend to the throne if others don't stop him first. Finally, a young Pakistani man loses his job at a Persian Gulf oil facility and falls in with a terrorist training group as his prospects for future work grow dimmer.

I enjoyed this review! :up: She especially gives Alex Siddig his due as Prince Nasir. Thought I'd share it. :)

:wave:

SD

I saw it last night- I found it a bit difficult to follow in parts, it certainly is thought provoking and scary to think about (the CIA role/ implications being the most scary for me). Some people say it portrays the terrorists in a sympathetic way- well it suggests some reasons why they might do what they do, if that's sympathetic I guess it does. The torture scene of George was gruesome.

One of the most powerful scenes for me was when Matt Damon's character is talking to the prince and the prince tries to explain how he is trying to change things in his country, then he says that line about "getting a phone call from your President" etc.

I want to do some more reading about this movie. On a superficial note, George still looks hot w/ that beard and extra poundage and Matt looked great too :wink:

Yes I agree, they should have developed the Clooney character more and had less of the lawyer stuff.

Back
Top Bottom