Synchronicity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallycinnamon78

New Yorker
I thought I'd ask you all for your weird coincidence stories. I know everybody's got tons of these, and I find them quite interesting.

I'm discounting all the family/friend coincidences I have had because they are far too common and numerous to mention. You might find this one kinda nuts, but never mind. I'm not professing that it means anything whatsoever - my common sense tells me that it's not a big deal. It's just a little odd. I'm from Liverpool so maybe it's a Mersey thing... but it's probably just a nothing.

The night of November 30th, 2001, I was sat up until 6am, quietly revising for an exam. At around 3 o'clock or so, the song 'My Sweet Lord' got into my head out of nowhere and drove me potty, playing on loop repeatedly for hours. (You can guess where this is leading!) I've always liked the song, but there was no reason for it to hijack my brain like this. I hadn't heard it for ages, nor seen/done anything that may have sparked it off. I just couldn't get the damn thing out of my mind.

At 6ish I gave up and turned the TV on... to discover that George Harrison had died a few hours earlier. That was horrible. I also found out that he and I share(d) the same birthday.

Yesterday I started reading George's book 'I Me Mine'. At one point I put it down to do something, and when I came back found that the cat had knocked it off the couch. The book had fallen open at a random page. The page contained an image of handwritten song lyrics and a date. The date was our shared birthday. The year on the page was the year I was born.:huh:

I was amused at this second Harrison related coincidence! Most peculiar, Mama. It made me smile.

Last edited:
I was listening to Blue Room by U2, and a random website link I clicked on while browsing took me to a site called "blue room" then a few hours later I was listening to Promenade by U2 while reading a book, and one of the characters walked down a "spiral staircase" :huh: Very odd..:eyebrow: ;)

Oooooh, yes Syncronicty,,, the mystery, the strange coincidences ...or ...not?

Ive experienced little things of this, many many times...
the ones I can currently remember
On many occassions, I pick up the phone to dial a friend only to discover they're already on the line,...no ring on either side of the line

what always happens to me though is i think of something I've never seen and within days it happens...or I think of someone I havent seen or talked to in ages and strangely enough i'll get the random email or letter in the mail...

I live near a busy street and more than often there is a possum, skunk and sometimes the runaway pet ran over ...and one day as I was returning from school I though to myself
"hmmm, i always see these animals and then I dont, Ive never in my whole life seen anyone pick them up"

the next day, on my way home again...there was the animal control picking up an animal in the middle of the highway

little things like this happen a lot

I read a lot about syncronicity beginning in 9th grade, thanks to having been obsessed with The Police:wink:

Sleep Over Jack said:
I was listening to Blue Room by U2, and a random website link I clicked on while browsing took me to a site called "blue room" then a few hours later I was listening to Promenade by U2 while reading a book, and one of the characters walked down a "spiral staircase" :huh: Very odd..:eyebrow: ;)

ooooh, little things like this always happen to me

and it's usually something to do with a book :happy:

when i was about 19 or so, i woke up to the distinct smell of smoke. there was absolutely no sign of smoke in my bedroom or anywhere in the house. the rest of the family had all went about their business for the day, and i was the only one home. i could absolutely smell smoke though. not overpowering, but not incredibly subtle, either. i examined every room in the house, stood outside and looked as far into the bush as i could see. nothing. no smell outside, however. infact, i noticed it was only in my bedroom. puzzled, but reassured by the utter lack of embers or ash anywhere, i went into the kitchen to put the jug on for a cuppa. as it was boiling, i noticed it was actually me that the smell was eminating from. my hair stunk, my t-shirt stunk. *i* was the smell of smoke! at this point i well and truly began fighting the panic. i couldn't understand how. i wasn't burnt, nothing was burnt. except..me, somehow. i went to my bedroom to ponder some more and sat down on the bed. then i noticed the whole bed actually stunk. at this point i refused to give in and crumble in a heap, so i grabbed some clean clothes to have a shower and also started stripping the bed so the sheets could be washed. underneath was the answer. [i'm describing all this because it was honestly about 30 or so minutes of build up to what truly scared the flying bejesus out of me.] the electric blanket i had fallen asleep with, but had switched off thankfully during my sleep, was melted into the mattress. the whole plug which attaches to the blanket itself was a deformed melted lump of plastic. it had burned right through the mattress as well, creating a kind of burnt crater under my pillow. my pillow was also burned and the sheets were rather holy. fascinated, i did the only intelligent thing left - and bent down to touch the exposed wiring and plug...withut turning it off at the wall socket first. :der: needless, i picked myself up of the floor and slowly let out a blood curdling scream. if it had still been switched on, im not sure how much electricity runs through those things, but the stored amount was enough to make me feel rather ill. anyway, blah blah blah, i composed myself and resumed getting ready for the shower and throwing out of the sheets etc, and headed back to the kitchen. [i finally reach the punchline] on the way, i turned the radio on and midnight oil's "beds are burning" was playing.
:sigh:

:laugh: ROFLMFAO!!! That was hilarious, Ang! Not hilarious that you were hurt obviously... you know what I mean. I hope. The song seemed very apt!

With me it is always music. I've had this weird thing since I was a kid. When I get a song in my head, I can hear it really clearly,every single note... including all the fiddly little instrumental/backing bits that I don't notice when I'm actually listening to the song. During my childhood it was so that I often had to check the radio wasn't on. Scary. My littler niece is even nuttier than I am in this respect - she hears rhythm in everything and will dance along to the tap dripping or the extractor fan! The scariest part is I understand what she means - I hear it too!

I invariably start thinking of a song just before it's played on the radio - even the most random ones. I know just about EVERYBODY does this, but with me it is so strong that sometimes it seriously freaks me out.

I scared myself badly once. I was telling my friend about my music thing, and she of course turrned around and said "go on then, do it now". I explained that couldn't do it at will, but she hassled me so much that I just said okay and said what I thought would come on next; an old song that wasn't particularly popular.

I was spot on.

The look on my friend's face was a picture, but it alarmed me quite a bit too! Looking back it is kind of funny, really.

Last edited:
Lalalala... talking to myself again:crazy:... Nurse! :drunk:

A mate here emailed me this today (it could have just been posted in the thread but never mind, at least someone could be arsed):

Okay, I think I have a coincidence.

I got into Magnificent Seven (TV series) fanfiction via a fellow Ewan fan. I found another Mag. 7 fan who likes Ewan as well and shares his birthday. Also she is friends with a girl who is friends with the Ewan fan who got me into Mag. 7. I also know two mag. 7 fans who both like Charmed the same as me, although maybe that's not such a coincidence.

Thats the best I can think of. If I think of more, I'll email them.

So there.

sallycinnamon78 said:
:laugh: ROFLMFAO!!! That was hilarious, Ang! Not hilarious that you were hurt obviously... you know what I mean. I hope. The song seemed very apt!

With me it is always music. I've had this weird thing since I was a kid. When I get a song in my head, I can hear it really clearly,every single note... including all the fiddly little instrumental/backing bits that I don't notice when I'm actually listening to the song. During my childhood it was so that I often had to check the radio wasn't on. Scary. My littler niece is even nuttier than I am in this respect - she hears rhythm in everything and will dance along to the tap dripping or the extractor fan! The scariest part is I understand what she means - I hear it too!

I invariably start thinking of a song just before it's played on the radio - even the most random ones. I know just about EVERYBODY does this, but with me it is so strong that sometimes it seriously freaks me out.

I scared myself badly once. I was telling my friend about my music thing, and she of course turrned around and said "go on then, do it now". I explained that couldn't do it at will, but she hassled me so much that I just said okay and said what I thought would come on next; an old song that wasn't particularly popular.

I was spot on.

The look on my friend's face was a picture, but it alarmed me quite a bit too! Looking back it is kind of funny, really.

I completely forgot about this thread, and then couldn't remember what it was called, and had trouble finding it. But it's weird you replied to mention music. (and I know you aren't laughing at me, per se, with that story. You shouod hear what my family say. buggers! lol). Anyway, the music, just the other day we were driving along and talking about musicians and how bloody awesome it would be to write a classic song. And we named examples to show what we meant, like Black Dog and stuff. The husband bought himself a new guitar a while back and is determined to master it and be able to play fluently and I was trying to be encouragins, saying all he needs is persevereance, etc etc etc. Geez, I can ramble. But then I said imagine being for example, Mark Knopfler and having written an absolute and utter classicly brilliant piece of music like Local Hero. I raved on about how great I reckoned this particular music is for a bit and we both grinned when the dj on the radio in the background mumbled something about Led Zeppelin (we'd mentioned them with Black Dog moments earlier) but that was nothing unusual. What was unusual was then seconds after that, the intro to Local Hero comes on! That song is hardly ever played on radio here and not often mentioned in music conversation, even when it's about Dire Straits. But there it was! Rare as hens teeth on Sydney FM radio, and in all it's glory!
Whether in coincidence or not, I'm not sure, but I thought this was hilarious and said I was going to buy a scratchie as a result when we got to the shops and honestly, 5 scratchies later, I stopped cashing them in and getting more and bought a lotto ticket instead.

I dont explain things well, huh :lol:

:up:

Back
Top Bottom