Sydney Morning Herald: Napalm used by the coalition... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2003, 05:10 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 06:04 PM
Sydney Morning Herald: Napalm used by the coalition...

Well, is it going to be another Vietnam?

"More body bags than in Vietnam. What's my name?..."

Old 03-21-2003, 05:37 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:04 AM
Do you have a link? I just search the Sydney Morning Herald web site - no stories mentioning napalm in over a month.

Old 03-21-2003, 05:52 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:04 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...749944836.html
'Dead bodies are everywhere' ... Saddam's first martyrs lost
March 22 2003

Herald Correspondent Lindsay Murdoch, travelling with a Marines artillery unit, reports on one of the war's first battles on the Iraq-Kuwait border.

There was little initial resistance as the United States Marines swept into southern Iraq early yesterday. One of the first encounters of the ground war was more like a massacre than a fight.

The Iraqi gunners fired first, soon after United States President George Bush announced the attack on Saddam Hussein was under way.

It was a fatal mistake.

The Iraqi artillery unit, preparing for the American invasion, had tested the range by firing registering shots at a likely spot where the American tanks would cross from Kuwait. US radar picked up the incoming shells and pinpointed their source.

Within hours, the Iraqi gunners and their Russian-made 122mm howitzers were destroyed as the Americans unleashed an artillery barrage that shook the ground and lit up the night sky with orange flashes.

advertisement

advertisement

"Dead bodies are everywhere," a US officer reported by radio.

Later in the day, the American firepower was turned on Safwan Hill, an Iraqi military observation post a couple of kilometres across the border. About six hours after US marines and their 155mm howitzer guns pulled up at the border, they opened up with a deafening barrage. Safwan Hill went up in a huge fireball and the Iraqi observation post was obliterated.

"I pity anybody who's in there," a marine sergeant said. "We told them to surrender."

The destruction of Safwan Hill was a priority for the attacking forces because it had sophisticated surveillance equipment near the main highway that runs from Kuwait up to Basra and then Baghdad. The attacking US and British forces could not attempt to cross the border unless it was destroyed.

Marine Cobra helicopter gunships firing Hellfire missiles swept in low from the south. Then the marine howitzers, with a range of 30 kilometres, opened a sustained barrage over the next eight hours. They were supported by US Navy aircraft which dropped 40,000 pounds of explosives and napalm, a US officer told the Herald.

A legal expert at the International Committee of the Red Cross in Geneva said the use of napalm or fuel air bombs was not illegal "per se" because the US was not a signatory to the 1980 weapons convention which prohibits and restricts certain weapons. "But the US has to apply the basic principles of International Humanitarian Law (IHL) and take all precautions to protect civilians. In the case of napalm and fuel air bombs, these are special precautions because these are area weapons, not specific weapons," said Dominique Loye, the committee's adviser on weapons and IHL.

When dawn broke on Safwan Hill, all that could be seen on top of it was a single antenna amid the smoke. The marines then moved forward, their officers saying they were determined to push on as quickly as possible for Baghdad.

The first air strike on Baghdad, and Mr Bush's announcement that the war was under way, appeared to catch US officers in the Kuwait desert by surprise.

The attack was originally planned for early today. But the US officers did not seem worried.

Within hours of Mr Bush's announcement, a vast army of tanks, trucks, bulldozers and heavy guns was surging through the dust of the Kuwaiti desert to positions on Iraq's border.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:02 PM   #4
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:04 AM
OMG, that is terrible. I thought we were not barbarians, but liberators. No wonder there will be bodies. They will have been incinerated.

The Pentagon has reported only a few Iraqi soldiers dead in the outward movements to Bagdad.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:08 PM   #5
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Do you have a link? I just search the Sydney Morning Herald web site - no stories mentioning napalm in over a month.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...749944836.html
Old 03-21-2003, 06:12 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:04 PM
Oh the Pentagon, yes.

"A legal expert at the International Committee of the Red Cross in Geneva said the use of napalm or fuel air bombs was not illegal "per se" because the US was not a signatory to the 1980 weapons convention which prohibits and restricts certain weapons."

Typical for the U.S., see Comprehensive Test Banner Treaty and International Court of Justice (not only Kyoto Protocol).

Interesting article, thanks for posting it, meegannie.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:20 PM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 03:04 PM
So the US used napalm? whoopee do, Iraq biological and chemical weapons would cause more deaths per missile then a napalm payload. Will you remain silent if Iraq use these or are you just going to point out whatever weapons the allies use that you don't agree with?
Old 03-21-2003, 06:28 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Ohhh Noooo!!! They used weapons against the Iraqis? Why didn't they just walk up the hill with super soakers and take them out????

Shame on the Pentagon!!!!!
Old 03-21-2003, 06:32 PM   #9
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by what a bomb!
So the US used napalm? whoopee do, Iraq biological and chemical weapons would cause more deaths per missile then a napalm payload. Will you remain silent if Iraq use these or are you just going to point out whatever weapons the allies use that you don't agree with?
I bet US media will not remain silent
Note, you start talking about what side will kill more... Disgusting topic.

"Jesus, can you take the time to throw a drowning man a line...Peace on Earth...
But hope and history won't rhyme
So what's it worth?....."
Old 03-21-2003, 06:39 PM   #10
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Ohhh Noooo!!! They used weapons against the Iraqis? Why didn't they just walk up the hill with super soakers and take them out????
Shame on the Pentagon!!!!!
Right you are, Dreadsox. I support you. It's war. Who cares about human beings once a war started. I hope the next step would be use of nuclear weapons. For instance, to bomb out Saddam's bunker. Besides, the US has the ultimate expertise in using both nuclear weapons and napalm.
What I can not understand is why 9/11 happened. Still wondering...
Old 03-21-2003, 06:51 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by ALEXRUS

Right you are, Dreadsox. I support you. It's war. Who cares about human beings once a war started. I hope the next step would be use of nuclear weapons. For instance, to bomb out Saddam's bunker. Besides, the US has the ultimate expertise in using both nuclear weapons and napalm.
What I can not understand is why 9/11 happened. Still wondering...
You know what.....

You do not know my heart. You have no right to imply that I do not care for the loss of life. Please do not insult me by doing so.

As to your implications about the use of Nuclear Weapons, I am not taking the bait. Start another thread if you like and I will gladly debate it with you.

My SARCASM in the post had nothing to do with my opinions on the loss of life. This will not be another VIETNAM as you are implying in your post. Our objectives are defined and we will use what means we have to minimize the loss of lives on both sides.

What would you have prefered? Leave people on a hill with an advantage to fire down upon our troops?
Old 03-21-2003, 07:05 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I am sickened at the thought. Just....wow.

Every time I think of Napalm, I am reminded of this:

Thanks, but no thanks.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:09 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:04 AM
meegannie, Alexrus, thank you for the post. I guess the search function does not apply to the current day's news.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:21 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Anitram....

That picture is pretty powerful. Are you saying Napalm was used on these children? Or are you saying it reminds you of Vietnam in general?
Old 03-21-2003, 07:25 PM   #15
New Yorker

That was napalm being used behind them. I believe it was in Time.
Very powerful.
The clothes had been buned off that little girl. I can't remember if she lived.