Suspect Arrested in JonBenet Ramsey case

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
By CATHERINE TSAI, Associated Press Writer

BOULDER, Colo. - A former schoolteacher was arrested Wednesday in Thailand in the slaying of 6-year-old beauty queen JonBenet Ramsey — a surprise breakthrough in a lurid, decade-old murder mystery that had cast a cloud of suspicion over her parents.

Federal officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, identified the suspect as John Mark Karr, a 42-year-old American, and one law enforcement official told The Associated Press that Boulder police had tracked him down online.

The Ramsey family's attorney in Atlanta pronounced the arrest vindication for JonBenet's parents, John and Patsy Ramsey. Patsy Ramsey died of ovarian cancer on June 24.

"John and Patsy lived their lives knowing they were innocent, trying to raise a son despite the furor around them," Lin Wood said. "The story of this family is a story of courage, and story of an American injustice and tragedy that ultimately people will have to look back on and hopefully learn from."

The attorney said the Ramseys learned about the suspect a least a month before Patsy Ramsey's death. "It's been a very long 10 years, and I'm just sorry Patsy isn't here for me to hug her neck," Wood said.

Karr was a teacher who once lived in Conyers, Ga., according to Wood. The attorney said the Ramseys gave police information about Karr before he was identified as a suspect.

Wood would not say how the Ramseys knew Karr. But JonBenet was born in Atlanta in 1990, and the Ramseys lived in the Atlanta suburb of Dunwoody for several years before moving to Colorado in 1991.

A source close to the investigation said Karr confessed to elements of the crime. Also, a law enforcement source, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the AP that Karr had been communicating periodically with somebody in Boulder who had been following the case and cooperating with law enforcement officials.

District Attorney Mary Lacy said the arrest followed several months of work, but she said no details would be released until Thursday.

rest of article here

Don't you love CNN tripping over itself about how tragic this all is when they were the ones feeding the "those parents dunnit!" for YEARS. The media is so shameless.

Indeed, it is very interesting. The whole case was so media-ized (if that is a word) it is surprising that they even have a suspect this many years later.

My comment from the other thread....

Wow. I'll definitely have to follow up on that. I've tried to keep up with this case, watching all the specials and reading all the articles, most of which are trash. For some reason, the case has always stuck with me.

If you're really interested in the facts of this case - not the latest from the tabloid rags - you MUST read Lawrence Schiller's book. In fact, you should probably read it twice.

I never believed the Ramseys did this to their child. and I don't know why but it just didn't fit.
I wondered about the son/younger brother at one point only because she was found in the house. It just seemed so close to the family.
Then again, I knew of the Polly Class murder I truly felt it could have been some sort of evil related to the family but not them..
I don't know what has been found, but I hope it gives everyone some kind of peace. This was a haunting case, even for people like me, who never knew these people at all.

There's one thing that bothers me about this....and it relates to OJ Simpson.

O.J. Simpson has maintained his innocence since his trial and acquittal yet he's also lived under suspicion and he's been the butt of jokes for years....EVERYONE thinks he did it.

In light of Ramsey news, could it be totally possible that O.J. IS innocent after all? Could it be that the real killer is still out there?

What do you think?

AchtungBono said:
What do you think?

That if detectives are at a loss, they will always default to assuming that (ex-)spouses/partners or parents are guilty, if it is an adult or child murdered, respectively. It is, in many ways, the dirty secret of criminal justice.

People like O.J. Simpson and the Ramseys can elude conviction, because they are rich. However, we also have the case of Scott Peterson, who was not rich and was convicted and sentenced to death based solely on circumstantial evidence.

It should remind everyone that the American criminal justice system was always intended to be "innocence until proven guilty," but amongst all the rabble, we're all too ready to condemn the suspect on Day 1.

Melon

Is it just me or does having the murder suspect sitting at a press conference and answering questions from the press and making public statements seem incredibly bizarre?

Umm, this guy hasn't been proven guilty either and a confession doesn't mean he did either. He is a child molester and unless is story is verifiable with the facts of the case, he might be just another wacko looking for attention.

Angela Harlem said:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/arrest-over-jonbenet-killing/2006/08/17/1155407918895.html

I was just about to post a thread on this, sula! :D

Our media here is rather behind the times, and I have only really gained any understanding of it through the book Perfect Murder, Perfect town.

The media frenzy is akin to Lindy Chamberlain. It's just sickening.

:yes: I always remember the arguments that used to break out at BBQ's over Lindy, that poor woman spent what?.....3 years in prison.....accused of killing her child.

And what's worst , Jonbenet's mother died only back in June from Cancer with half the world thinking she killed her own child! :sad:

melon said:

People like O.J. Simpson and the Ramseys can elude conviction, because they are rich. However, we also have the case of Scott Peterson, who was not rich and was convicted and sentenced to death based solely on circumstantial evidence.

But Peterson did have celebrity attorney Mark Geragos.

AchtungBono said:
There's one thing that bothers me about this....and it relates to OJ Simpson.

O.J. Simpson has maintained his innocence since his trial and acquittal yet he's also lived under suspicion and he's been the butt of jokes for years....EVERYONE thinks he did it.

In light of Ramsey news, could it be totally possible that O.J. IS innocent after all? Could it be that the real killer is still out there?

What do you think?

http://www.sportspickle.com/features/volume2/2002-1113-oj.html
(Fake article in case anyone misses that.)

The DNA on the underwear was convincing. They confirmed it wasn't from the family.

trevster2k said:
He is a child molester and unless is story is verifiable with the facts of the case, he might be just another wacko looking for attention.

I'm starting to think that, too. CNN.com this morning has blurbs saying "he was with her when she died," and right below it there's a headline saying his ex-wife says he was in Alabama that night.

Someone's lying.

:huh:

trevster2k said:
Is it just me or does having the murder suspect sitting at a press conference and answering questions from the press and making public statements seem incredibly bizarre?

Umm, this guy hasn't been proven guilty either and a confession doesn't mean he did either. He is a child molester and unless is story is verifiable with the facts of the case, he might be just another wacko looking for attention.

Ummm, nope trevster, it's not just you, I was going to say the same thing. I'll wait for the DNA tests thank you. THey better keep Dennis Fung out of it!

As for the OJ aspect, I read every book on the case (okay, maybe I got a little obsessive, but hey what's a stay-at-home mom to do? Plus, Orenthal James was my favorite football player--GO Bills!) and for what it's worth (shit) it is my personal determination that the son did it.

The media spent 10 years blaming the parents and last night they immediately jumped into blaming this guy. I wouldn't be shocked if they were guilty on both accounts.

The media sucks period. Especially if a person is innocent but think he is guilty, that person will be hounded by the press. I wonder if the Father of Jon Bennet Ramsey could sue the media for Defimation??

Justin24 said:
I wonder if the Father of Jon Bennet Ramsey could sue the media for Defimation??

Probably not since he was considered a top suspect for a long time. The police had good reason to consider him a suspect (it's rare that strangers do things like this), but the media doesn't seem to understand that a "suspect" is not the same as someone convicted.

I am afraid to hear the rest of this story. Was Jon Bennet the only one in ten years that he murdered. It sounds horrible but I hope so, I hope that she was the only one.

i dunno, i always thought the parents should be murdered for what they did to that child

jonbenet.jpg

Justin24 said:
The media sucks period. Especially if a person is innocent but think he is guilty, that person will be hounded by the press. I wonder if the Father of Jon Bennet Ramsey could sue the media for Defimation??

Heeeeeeeyyyy! Don't be dissin' my former profession! (No, that's okay, you have your 1st amendment right and you're right that there are elements of journalism that suck and deserving of criticism.
Let me try to answer your question about defamation. (My mate's a prof. of mass media law--and american pop culture at ASU, so I can get quality info).
there are a number of case law in this area, the Sam Sheppard case comes to mind...some of you may remember Dr. Sam Sheppard who was accused of killing his wife, was pretty much tried in the press before being found wrongfully convicted. The press hounded the man and made fun of Sheppard's description of a "bushy haired intruder" killing his wife that he chased down the beach, but he got away. Anyway, poor SHeppard gets convicted and spends 12 years in prison before being granted another trial by the Supreme court due to press saturation coverage. Sam gets acqutted in the second trial...but he doesn't sue the state or any of the newspapers. (He wasn't the best specimen of health after all he'd been through.) His son to this day is trying to get his father's record expunged.
As far as Ramsey is concerned, he could sue for defamation if he wanted to but he would have to sue one publication at a time for specific passages. He would have to prove actual malice; that is, knowledge of falsity or reckless disregard for the truth. So the press is pretty well covered here because they'll just say they thought it was the truth at the time.

It's time to move on. It's gotten to the point where I'm just bored with it. It's been fun, but it's been six years. I've started my own PR company on the side, so I'm hoping to land a job in PR soon, to help me get some experience in that field, then I'll do my own thing. That's the goal for now. Plus, the money sucks in journalism. That is, unless you make up the news or make fun of it. : )

BTW, thanks for asking. How are you?

Back
Top Bottom