Survey--July 22, 2005: Many won't evacuate - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 09-04-2005, 12:14 AM   #31
love, blood, life
Local Time: 05:41 AM
Originally posted by Jamila
I haven't had a car in seven years, but if a category four-five hurricane was coming directly at me, I would have pawned my TV/DVD player or something, got me some money and hightailed it out of the area on a Greyhound - or rented a car!
Yeah, hindsight is always 20/20. It's very easy to say "well, in that situation I'd have..." but without having been in that situation you don't know how you would have reacted. And what if you couldn't drive? What if they were no buses out of town available?

The opinions of a poor person who will still be poor after all the folks from N.O. are in new homes and new jobs.

Who is here to help the rest of us po' folks in the USA?

I don't have a whole lot of money either, but I can tell you right now that if I had the choice between staying in my own home (for all the problems my home has and all the conveniences we lack) and being given a new home because my home was destroyed in a natural disaster, I'd stay with my own home any day of the week.

And for what it's worth, I very much doubt that the people from New Orleans who have lost everything will realy be given "new home and new jobs." Do we really think that government is that generous it'll be providing homes to those who have lost everything? Or will they simply be left to fend for themselves as soon as the media attention is elsewhere?

Old 09-04-2005, 12:42 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict
Location: This is an environment of welcoming, and you should just get the hell out of here
Local Time: 01:41 AM
Originally posted by indra

Whoa! You really are on a tear today, aren't you? (I just read the "Holy Kanye! ... " thread too)

Logically one would think that people who are poor would have more compassion and understanding of the plight of other, even more desperately poor people, but as you just so beautifully illustrated it often doesn't work that way.

And as I'm sure you will know if you have read any of the other responses to your posts here and in the Kanye threads, many other people (including me) on this board are or have been in financially shakey, and even downright dire, situations. Don't ever think you are the only one who knows what being poor is like.

Compared to a lot of people in the areas hit by Katrina, you, jamilla, are rich. So take a big dose of Midol and get over yourself.

Old 09-04-2005, 02:21 AM   #33
Vocal parasite
Local Time: 04:41 PM
Originally posted by daygloeyes2

I seem to remember myself and others very recently telling Jamila to get over herself on another thread. Seems she took the direct opposite of our advice.
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-04-2005, 12:50 PM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier
Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Axver

What I do not understand is why, before the hurricane hit, huge passenger trains weren't sent to New Orleans to take out hundreds - if not thousands - of the city's poor, tourists, and others without a form of transportation.

Put together a train of twenty sleeper carriages and that's temporary accommodation for a STACK of people. Heck, considering how comfortable some modern sitting cars are, they could've even used those and people could sprawl out on the seats. Make a good number of these trains with all the carriages available, park them in a rail yard out of harm's way in another state, and make sure a few restaurant wagons are included in each train.

There you have it: temporary shelter, safety, security, food, sanitation, and comfort, rather than this Superdome joke. I know America's sorely lacking on the passenger train front compared to much of the world, but I'm SURE Amtrak could've spared a good number of wagons, along with engines to pull the trains to the safety of the aforementioned yard. There are also heaps of rail preservation societies with fleets of wagons - I visited one in Nashville in June. A couple of trains could've been sent down from that society to ferry out the stranded before the hurricane even arrived. Why weren't they?! Where the hell is the organisation?
Guess what:

When Amtrak offered trains to evacuate significant numbers of victims -- far more efficiently than buses -- FEMA again dragged its feet.
This is from a press release from the democratic senator that Anderson Cooper chewed out a few nights ago on his show, so I suppose it should be taken with a grain of salt. But still, if this is true . . .