"Surely God is mad at America" .... Nope not Pat Robertson.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melon said:

Hmm...so did you get an error dialog box when this failed? I'd be interested in what it is, if you can remember.

As for the QTs...I tend to export lots of uncompressed video, and then put it into a ZIP or RAR archive for transport. A 30 GB video file can often be archived into a 5 GB or less file, interestingly enough. Of course, unless you have a high-end workstation, you won't be able to play it; but I just use such files to export and import between the various programs I use...

...but even then, when you're dealing with deadlines and a less-than-ideal wireless router, that process can be a bit time consuming.

no, nothing appeared. we have an older AVID, and you can't simply render the V3 layer and have it appear. all three layers of video had to be rendered in chunks; it was apparently asking too much of the AVID to deal with it all at once.

it is a 2 hour show.

the ZIP idea is a good one, but it didn't occur to us at 3:30am. i just knew the composer needed it in QT, and frankly, i'm not an editor or a techie, i just have to make things happen (and try to know enough to support an editor or a techie).

[q]Have you considered making a PAL DVD? Just a thought. If your company has someone there who can make DVDs, they should know how to do it, and most professional DVD authoring software (i.e., Adobe Encore and probably DVD Studio Pro) should have an option for that. Depending on your version of AVID, you should be able to export directly to an MPEG2 file. Funny enough, my new version doesn't have that.[/q]

the problem is the time crunch. posting to an FTP would get the composer the TimeCoded cut of the film immedately, whereas even FedExing something priority to the UK takes 2 business days. under the deadline, and with the price that compression would have cost us at the post house, it simply wasn't worth it to do it any other way.

had we the time, a DVD would have been a great idea.

Good luck. Hope it all works out.

well, i'm still here, going on 34 hours straight of work (minus a 2 hour nap). but it appears as if the cut is up and on the FPT and our friend is composing away in the UK.

nbcrusader said:

If Robertson had made this statement, this place would have gone nuclear.

But, I guess we tiptoe around the elephant in the room in certain cases :shh:

that's a wonderfully telling statement on how different people's worldviews can be.

financeguy did a nice job pointing this out.

i suppose we all need to feel under seige.

financeguy said:

Can anyone say conservative paranoia?

As I write this the slam Hilary Clinton thread is close to the top of the page whereas hardly anyone has commented on a speech Al Gore made the other day (widely regarded as an excellent speech althogh I haven't heard it.)

Heard quite a bit of the speech. The substance was excellent, unfortunately the delivery was pure Gore. That being said, I really like Al Gore.

nbcrusader said:

Care to clarify?

re-read financeguy's post.

i could easily say, "if HRC had said it, this place would have gone nuclear."

i could also talk about the "religious bias" of FYM.

but such things are unmentionable in such a left-wing forum.

Irvine511 said:
the problem is the time crunch. posting to an FTP would get the composer the TimeCoded cut of the film immedately, whereas even FedExing something priority to the UK takes 2 business days. under the deadline, and with the price that compression would have cost us at the post house, it simply wasn't worth it to do it any other way.

had we the time, a DVD would have been a great idea.

Back in the old days, when there were supersonic airflights, you could actually UPS/FedEx things "Global Same-Day." I always wondered how much that would cost.

But yeah...if internet files work for the composer, not even supersonic flights can compete with that. :wink:

Sorry to hear that you've been working such a long shift, though. Hope it's worth it in the end!

Melon

Irvine511 said:
re-read financeguy's post.

i could easily say, "if HRC had said it, this place would have gone nuclear."

i could also talk about the "religious bias" of FYM.

but such things are unmentionable in such a left-wing forum.

Well, the point has been adequately made in this thread and the "chocolate" thread. Dismiss a double standard as "paranoia" or try to mask it with the ambiguous "race matters" label - but if bigoted language becomes not-bigoted based on the color of the speaker, you have an act of bigotry in itself.

I think this editorial sums it up beautifully

Boston Globe Jan 18th

God's mind-readers

January 18, 2006

"NEW ORLEANS Mayor Ray Nagin had a different purpose but the same technique as the Rev. Pat Robertson when he invoked God's wrath as the cause of human suffering. God's name is being taken in vain by those who would inflate their importance or diminish their failings.

Robertson said early this month that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's stroke was divine retribution for Sharon's plan to cede some land to Palestinians. Robertson had to apologize when his remarks caused an uproar in Israel and the United States. He sounded like a caricature of a biblical prophet when he claimed to be able to discern the will of God.

Robertson's remarks recall the Rev. Jerry Falwell, who claimed the Sept 11. attacks were partly the fault of ''the pagans and the abortionists and the feminists and the gays and the lesbians" whom God was angry with. Like Robertson, Falwell was using the deity to promote his political views.

Nagin has other uses for God. ''As we think about rebuilding New Orleans, surely God is mad at America," the mayor said Monday. ''He's sending hurricane after hurricane after hurricane. . . Surely he's not approving of us being in Iraq under false pretenses. But surely he is upset at black America, also." If God is intent on wreaking havoc on the Gulf Coast, as Nagin suggested, who could blame the mayor if the response to the disaster was ineffective or if rebuilding plans haven't advanced very far? God, it would seem, is being used as a shield for individual shortcomings.

Nagin was speaking at an event commemorating the accomplishments of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. ''I just want to do God's will," King said on the night before he was murdered. King tried to live out his belief in God without claiming to have a direct line to the deity. Those who think they know the divine might better show it by their actions to help others, not by invoking his name as a punishment or excuse. "

nbcrusader said:
Dismiss a double standard as "paranoia" or try to mask it with the ambiguous "race matters" label - but if bigoted language becomes not-bigoted based on the color of the speaker, you have an act of bigotry in itself.

not sure i agree with you on this one.

we can expound on the myriad differences between n-i-g-g-e-r and n-i-g-g-a, for example.

i think the achievement of a single standard of bigotry, trying to nail down bigotry as having a fixed definition that is applicable in all situations, is inherently flawed.

after all, it will be the definition of bigotry as decided upon by the dominant culture.

Irvine511 said:
not sure i agree with you on this one.

we can expound on the myriad differences between n-i-g-g-e-r and n-i-g-g-a, for example.

i think the achievement of a single standard of bigotry, trying to nail down bigotry as having a fixed definition that is applicable in all situations, is inherently flawed.

after all, it will be the definition of bigotry as decided upon by the dominant culture.

You give a great example as there are different presumptions (some irrefutable) depending on the color of the speaker.

It doesn't matter what the speaker was thinking, but what the hearer was feeling (or what others presume a hearer did or should feel).

nbcrusader said:
It doesn't matter what the speaker was thinking, but what the hearer was feeling (or what others presume a hearer did or should feel).

i agree. that's the most important point, and also the most difficult to "prove" -- i think that bigotry comes in all forms, is often unintended, and we do best not by either condeming everyone without hearing them out, nor by thinking that there's only one static definition of bigotry.

one example.

my mother was a special ed teacher. i grew up with the understanding that calling someone a "retard" was every bit as offensive as any racial or ethnic slur. i still bristle when i hear that word, yet i've found myself using it, not to ever describe a person, but sometimes to describe a situation or thing, like, "these directions are retarded!"

i could easily find a better word, however i'd argue that there's no bigotry in calling an object retarded, but there is in calling a person retarded.

i suppose my real point is that we have endless definitions and perceptions of bigotry, and that all of these defintions are in constant dialogue with one another and there's really no fixed meaning.

thus, we all need to talk.

nbcrusader said:
I had a brief stint as a bookstore manager while I was in grad school, and I still have the mantra "Perceptions are everything, intentions are nothing" beaten into my head from the company's harassment policies.

Not an appropriate standard for the courtroom in most cases, but IMO a quite reasonable one for more everyday types of policy enforcement and human relations management. The difficulty in enforcing it is that most folks' sense of their own entitlement to have their words and acts interpreted as they intended, often outweighs their willingness to moderate their own behavior for others' comfort and the sake of a less conflict-prone social environment. Particularly when they're feeling defensive about their reputation.

Back
Top Bottom