"Surely God is mad at America" .... Nope not Pat Robertson..... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2006, 11:25 PM   #16
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:40 PM
Oh, I know what Robertson thought. But I find it hard to believe that that is what Dreadsox thinks.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:18 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Oh, I know what Robertson thought. But I find it hard to believe that that is what Dreadsox thinks.

ah, i see.

i should read more closely next time -- forgive me, work has taken quite a toll lately.

still at work, actually, as editor #2 tries to figure out why the AVID hates me.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:33 AM   #18
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I had the flu last week, I wonder what I did to piss God off?
You forgot to read from the Almighty KJV Bible five times a day!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-17-2006, 05:23 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
I asked a question! LOL You are correct.

I hope you are feeling better. Things are good here in my world.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:43 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think Dr. King would agree with that

The God I know is loving and gentle, not angry
Old 01-17-2006, 09:11 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
still at work, actually, as editor #2 tries to figure out why the AVID hates me.
I had been trying to figure out why the AVID at work hates me too. Turns out the AVID representative who hooked it together did it incorrectly and did none of the required software optimizations. Fun!

Melon
Old 01-17-2006, 09:19 AM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

I had been trying to figure out why the AVID at work hates me too. Turns out the AVID representative who hooked it together did it incorrectly and did none of the required software optimizations. Fun!

Melon

this particular AVID wouldn't let me render timecode for the duration of the show over three layers of video (i guess that was hard for it or something, poor thing), so the real editor had to come here (at freakin' midnight) and render it all in shorter chunks (because i don't edit, but i do occasionally have to deal with the AVID) and then we tried to make QT files of the show that we were going to dump onto an FTP site for the composer (who's in the UK) but then we found out that, since we didn't compress the QT files, because that would have taken too long to create the files, that it would have taken hours upon hours upon hours to upload the QT files since this is a dinky little office in georgetown on a wireless router and there are no T1 connections to begin with.

so around 4:30am we simply output a VHS with timecode, that's in NTSC, even though the show is in PAL, and so the composer is going to be off by a few seconds or more over the course of a 2 hour show. i'm going to take the freakin' VHS and bring it up to the Mothership (the HQ of the network i sort ofwork for) and i'm going to give my friend a 6 pack of Stella Artois and ask him to sneak it into the encoding station and post it to the FTP site.

all that work for naught.

so i'm fried. going on hour 24 of work.

Old 01-17-2006, 09:54 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
this particular AVID wouldn't let me render timecode for the duration of the show over three layers of video (i guess that was hard for it or something, poor thing), so the real editor had to come here (at freakin' midnight) and render it all in shorter chunks (because i don't edit, but i do occasionally have to deal with the AVID) and then we tried to make QT files of the show that we were going to dump onto an FTP site for the composer (who's in the UK) but then we found out that, since we didn't compress the QT files, because that would have taken too long to create the files, that it would have taken hours upon hours upon hours to upload the QT files since this is a dinky little office in georgetown on a wireless router and there are no T1 connections to begin with.

Hmm...so did you get an error dialog box when this failed? I'd be interested in what it is, if you can remember.

As for the QTs...I tend to export lots of uncompressed video, and then put it into a ZIP or RAR archive for transport. A 30 GB video file can often be archived into a 5 GB or less file, interestingly enough. Of course, unless you have a high-end workstation, you won't be able to play it; but I just use such files to export and import between the various programs I use...

...but even then, when you're dealing with deadlines and a less-than-ideal wireless router, that process can be a bit time consuming.

Quote:
so around 4:30am we simply output a VHS with timecode, that's in NTSC, even though the show is in PAL, and so the composer is going to be off by a few seconds or more over the course of a 2 hour show. i'm going to take the freakin' VHS and bring it up to the Mothership (the HQ of the network i sort ofwork for) and i'm going to give my friend a 6 pack of Stella Artois and ask him to sneak it into the encoding station and post it to the FTP site.

all that work for naught.

so i'm fried. going on hour 24 of work.

Have you considered making a PAL DVD? Just a thought. If your company has someone there who can make DVDs, they should know how to do it, and most professional DVD authoring software (i.e., Adobe Encore and probably DVD Studio Pro) should have an option for that. Depending on your version of AVID, you should be able to export directly to an MPEG2 file. Funny enough, my new version doesn't have that.

Good luck. Hope it all works out.

Melon
Old 01-17-2006, 10:47 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Couldn't the same be said of Mr. Robertson?
OF course - just trying to grab attention.

If Robertson had made this statement, this place would have gone nuclear.

But, I guess we tiptoe around the elephant in the room in certain cases
Old 01-17-2006, 11:08 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:40 PM
This guy isn't a very good mayor, and he's a nutjob too. New Orleans politics is pretty hopeless stuff.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:56 AM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 10:40 PM
Yup, I guess God hates us.

We gotta fight back! We're the greatest country on Earth, not even God can bully us.

I say we add him to the "Axis of Evil!" What's the worst that could happen?
Old 01-17-2006, 04:52 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:40 PM
Quote:
New Orleans Mayor Apologizes for Divisive Comments

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

NEW ORLEANS — New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said on Tuesday that if he could, he would take back some of the comments that he made during a Martin Luther King Day rally a day earlier.

"I used some analogies and probably didn't hit the mark on my message. But I never intended to offend anyone," Nagin told FOX News. Referring to his critics, he said, "I think if they look at the entire context of what I said, they'll understand the points I was trying to make."

Critics lashed out at Nagin, who said the violence and fighting after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita was the result of God's anger at the United States.

"Surely God is mad at America. He sent us hurricane after hurricane after hurricane, and it's destroyed and put stress on this country," said Nagin, while he and other city leaders marked Martin Luther King Day.

"Surely he doesn't approve of us being in Iraq under false pretenses. But surely he is upset at black America also. We're not taking care of ourselves," he said.

Nagin's speech at the rally also used a statement that God wanted New Orleans to be majority African-American.

"If I could take anything back, that's what I would take back," Nagin told FOX News.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:08 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
OF course - just trying to grab attention.

If Robertson had made this statement, this place would have gone nuclear.

But, I guess we tiptoe around the elephant in the room in certain cases
Can anyone say conservative paranoia?

As I write this the slam Hilary Clinton thread is close to the top of the page whereas hardly anyone has commented on a speech Al Gore made the other day (widely regarded as an excellent speech althogh I haven't heard it.)
Old 01-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
God is angry for the right reasons, this will get a pass.
VLWC.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:22 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

VLWC.
What does that stand for?

Financeguy, I think you need to turn down the PC meter a bit there.