Supreme Court Vacancy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bring out the flat Earth creationists! And all reason and knowledge is against the Bible, and, as such, is unconstitutional. And, don't you know, the Constitution intended an Americhristian theocracy, and anyone who disagrees is an evil librul!

Melon

Raped? Too bad!

Your father would beat you to a bloody pulp if he found out you were pregnant? We'll try to save the baby, but you're on your own, you little slut!

Want the morning-after pill? Should have thought of that before you had sex!

...and there's a judge out there who will set this all up in Supreme Court precedent.

And Bush will find him (or, even scarier, her).

And appoint him or her.

Let the confirmation wars begin.

Irvine511 said:
start praying for the survival of secularism ...

Or hope that the Democratic Party has an evolutionary leap to join the vertebrates. :|

Melon

Irvine511 said:
2-1 odds Bush renominates Bork.

2-1 odds I move to Canada within two years.

(The wonders of dating a Canadian citizen...)

Melon

Actually, now that I think about it, this may just be the swift kick in the pants the Democratic Party needs. It could be the thing that finally wakes them up to how dangerous the Americhristianist (I like that word!) agenda is.

My guess is that they politically view this seat as one to be filled by a woman judge (as they have identified seats in the past).

Prepare for ideological grandstanding from both parties.... :|

pax said:
Actually, now that I think about it, this may just be the swift kick in the pants the Democratic Party needs.

As if Reagan's 1984 "mandate" wasn't enough to give them a swift kick in the pants. Or how about a lifelong pampered rich kid successfully defaming two decorated veterans as "unpatriotic" (that's Max Cleland and John Kerry, for those not paying attention)?

I'm pretty much convinced the Democratic Party is in a persistent vegetative state and the only reactions we even continue to see are nothing more than non-conscious, primitive reactions. :|

Melon

nbcrusader said:
My guess is that they politically view this seat as one to be filled by a woman judge (as they have identified seats in the past).

Prepare for ideological grandstanding from both parties.... :|

should be entertaining.

and frightening.

i agree that the new nominee will be a woman.

Katherine Harris, anyone? ;)

I feel the need to hold a candlelight vigil for our constitution.

This is not just about abortion (though that's critical) In my area the eminent domain is a huge thing. Their last ruling allows our cities to go forward taking people's homes and small businesses to make way for corporate interests. The cities want more tax money so the mercedes dealership gets the greenlight to expand onto people's property. The framers of our constitution would be very disappointed.

pax said:
Actually, now that I think about it, this may just be the swift kick in the pants the Democratic Party needs. It could be the thing that finally wakes them up to how dangerous the Americhristianist (I like that word!) agenda is.

That was my first thought. I have to at least try to be optimistic. :(

joyfulgirl said:

That was my first thought. I have to at least try to be optimistic. :(

That's getting more difficult everyday. Most of you have no idea what it was like in the dark ages. They're making a comeback.

u2granny said:

That's getting more difficult everyday. Most of you have no idea what it was like in the dark ages. They're making a comeback.

when were these "Dark Ages"?

would love to hear your stories!

also, am hearing that Gonzales is a potential nominee.

perhaps, in the future, pregnant unmarried women will be sent to Gitmo and tortured?

u2granny said:

I'm old enough to remember. :(

Irvine511 said:
also, am hearing that Gonzales is a potential nominee.

perhaps, in the future, pregnant unmarried women will be sent to Gitmo and tortured?

The Reactionary Right doesn't want him, because when he was a judge, he ruled in favor of abortion a couple of times.

It's a given that Bush will appoint a conservative. The hope, of course, is that he'll pick a reasonable conservative out there like O'Connor, instead of a rabid, frothy flat-Earth conservative like Scalia.

Melon

Kind of OT, but when I was little, I wanted to be a Supreme Court justice, and Sandra Day O'Connor was my hero. I did a book report on a biography about her. I have a little booklet of the Constitution signed by my 3rd-grade teacher, wishing me luck in growing up to be "the next Sandra Day O'Connor." :laugh:

I'm no longer interested in a law career, but I still have a lot of respect for Justice O'Connor.

melon said:

It's a given that Bush will appoint a conservative. The hope, of course, is that he'll pick a reasonable conservative out there like O'Connor, instead of a rabid, frothy flat-Earth conservative like Scalia.

That's not my hope; speak for yourself (and 99 percent of FYM).

But this 1 percenter is glad to see the opportunity to replace O'Connor.

Plus, this thread needed a dissenting voice.

Back
Top Bottom