Supreme Court Vacancy - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2005, 05:57 PM   #76
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

They sure do. Every law is based on a value.
But some are universal values and some are strictly religious.

Stealing = bad = law(universal)

2 women marrying = because my religion says = law(religous)

Old 07-01-2005, 06:05 PM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:30 AM
I guess Canada should start preparing for more visitors besides gays and lesbians in the coming years according to the speculation in this thread.

Regarding the vacancy, what happens now, does Bush make a recommendation to Congress, they bitch amongst themselves about it, and then the Senate and back to Bush or what?

Old 07-01-2005, 06:17 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

But some are universal values and some are strictly religious.

Stealing = bad = law(universal)

2 women marrying = because my religion says = law(religous)
From where do the "universal" laws originate?
Old 07-01-2005, 06:22 PM   #79
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:00 PM
Quote:

From where do the "universal" laws originate?
Mostly common sense and centuries of history. Laws are in constant evolution, due to changing of technology, bigotries(getting over and forming of new ones), etc, it's the beauty of our constitution. Our fore fathers knew there weren't absolutes and that government would be constantly changing.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:52 PM   #80
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

in that case, secularism is an illusion. The government always imposes a particular set of values.

let me clarify -- secularism allows for the coexistence of a plurality of values that are elastic and dynamic.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:05 PM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Mostly common sense and centuries of history. Laws are in constant evolution, due to changing of technology, bigotries(getting over and forming of new ones), etc, it's the beauty of our constitution.
But where did the common sense that murder is wrong start? Murder, as in sacrifice of babies and virgins, wasn't wrong to many an ancient civilization. Why?

Quote:
Our fore fathers knew there weren't absolutes and that government would be constantly changing.
Our forefathers knew that absolutes didn't exist? I don't know what would lead you to that conclusion.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:10 PM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life

I say.....Bill Clinton for the Supreme Court....oh wait...isn't his license to practice law suspended?
Old 07-01-2005, 07:26 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:00 PM
it was a temporary suspension

and btw

one of the compromise judicial appointments

Quote:
Judicial Nominee Practiced Law Without License in Utah

By Carol D. Leonnig
Washington Post Staff Writer

Thomas B. Griffith, President Bush's nominee for the federal appeals court in Washington, has been practicing law in Utah without a state law license for the past four years, according to Utah state officials.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:05 PM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I say.....Bill Clinton for the Supreme Court....oh wait...isn't his license to practice law suspended?
Hillary still has hers.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:33 PM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
I guess Canada should start preparing for more visitors besides gays and lesbians in the coming years according to the speculation in this thread.

Regarding the vacancy, what happens now, does Bush make a recommendation to Congress, they bitch amongst themselves about it, and then the Senate and back to Bush or what?
Something like that. Bush nominates someone who will take the country back 100 years. He might choose a woman or possibly a Hispanic. The Democrats protest. Talk radio says "The Democrats are holier than thou about being the party for minorities, but they are the ones who do not want to see Hispanics rise to a place of power. They are the ones keeping the minorities down. This is the first President... The Republicans are truly the party of inclusion." Bitter battle ensues.
Republicans act bewildered about why the Democrats are obstructionist, that the President is looking simply for a straight up and down vote--which is the only thing provided for in the Constitution. The President is only looking for a strict constructionist and the Democrats want activist judges
The President makes speeches, sounding alternately angry and bewildered as to why these nasty Democrats are thwarting his will, for which he has a mandate. More nasty talk between the parties. Attempted filibuster. Threat of nuclear option. Democrats talk tough and then cave. Filibuster ends after Democrats make token protest to save face, no nuclear option and Bush gets his candidate.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:43 PM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:00 PM
Old 07-01-2005, 09:22 PM   #87
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
But where did the common sense that murder is wrong start? Murder, as in sacrifice of babies and virgins, wasn't wrong to many an ancient civilization. Why?
3000 years ago, the answer was "just because." But we aren't living 3000 years ago anymore. We know have about 300 years of solid secular philosophy and extremely high education. 3000 years ago, the sun rose and set "just because." Today, we know exactly why that happens and explain it according to modern knowledge.

Whereas religion is exclusionary and sets laws based on the "just because" principle to the point that many wars and mass genocides have been declared on the excluded, classical liberalism operated on the principle that one should have maximum freedom, but that "freedom" should not be extended to infringe on others' rights to life, liberty and happiness.

As such, murder is wrong, because it is an infringement on others' rights to life. And, indeed, I would say that would lead to a secular debate on the merits of legalizing or decriminalizing abortion, depending on how you define "life." But in most circumstances, secular humanism allows for everything from religious freedom to sexual freedom, as long as it involves consenting adults and does not infringe on others' rights to life, liberty, and happiness in the process.

Melon
Old 07-01-2005, 09:25 PM   #88
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Our forefathers knew that absolutes didn't exist? I don't know what would lead you to that conclusion.
Let's put it this way. Our Founding Fathers did not believe in religious absolutes.

"The United States of America have exhibited, perhaps, the first example of governments erected on the simple principles of nature; and if men are now sufficiently enlightened to disabuse themselves of artifice, imposture, hypocrisy, and superstition, they will consider this event as an era in their history. Although the detail of the formation of the American governments is at present little known or regarded either in Europe or in America, it may hereafter become an object of curiosity. It will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of Heaven, more than those at work upon ships or houses, or laboring in merchandise or agriculture; it will forever be acknowledged that these governments were contrived merely by the use of reason and the senses."

-- John Adams, "A Defense of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America" (1787-1788)

Melon
Old 07-01-2005, 10:36 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

melon, that's just one fella, and I don't see anything in that dealing with "no religious absolutes". Maybe you could say that what Adams is getting at is that no man knows how God would want a government run, and maybe, therefore, that man cannot know religious absolutes regarding governement, but there is nothing in there that even hints that Adams believes religious absolutes don 't exist.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:40 PM   #90
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
melon, that's just one fella, and I don't see anything in that dealing with "no religious absolutes". Maybe you could say that what Adams is getting at is that no man knows how God would want a government run, and maybe, therefore, that man cannot know religious absolutes regarding governement, but there is nothing in there that even hints that Adams believes religious absolutes don 't exist.
As long as his governmental sensibilities are officially neutral, why would I even care what he believed in his private life? That's the beauty of separation of church and state for those who take it seriously.

Melon