Supreme Court Strikes Down Texas Sodomy Law - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2003, 04:48 PM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 05:13 PM
Sex is sometimes an expressive and vocal activity between 2 amourous people.

Atticus.

Old 06-26-2003, 05:38 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:13 AM
I'm surprised, honestly. I guess my cynicism has often gotten the best of me.

I did perfectly guess the three dissenters, though. Proven to be, time and time again, three bigots in black dresses. Rehnquist is expected to retire within this term, and it is also expected that Bush will nominate Scalia in his place. If/when that happens, we should all voice our disapproval and support a justice who is more mainstream. I think Sandra Day O'Connor would be a cool Chief Justice!

Anyhow, a happy day!

Melon

Old 06-26-2003, 05:58 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:13 AM
I think there are 13 states with similar laws.

Melon,

O'Connor wants to retire, too.

Wm. Kennedy would be a pragmatic choice for chief.

W has said Scalia and Thomas are the types of Supremes he likes.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:00 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Trent Lott's views were bigoted?

But, Bll Frist is A-OK.

Quote:

Frist Endorses Idea of Gay Marriage Ban

By William C. Mann
Associated Press Writer

June 30, 2003

CBN.com – WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Senate majority leader said Sunday he supported a proposed constitutional amendment to ban homosexual marriage in the United States.

Sen. Bill Frist, R-Tenn., said the Supreme Court's decision last week on gay sex threatens to make the American home a place where criminality is condoned.

The court on Thursday threw out a Texas law that prohibited acts of sodomy between homosexuals in a private home, saying that such a prohibition violates the defendants' privacy rights under the Constitution. The ruling invalidated the Texas law and similar statutes in 12 other states.

"I have this fear that this zone of privacy that we all want protected in our own homes is gradually - or I'm concerned about the potential for it gradually being encroached upon, where criminal activity within the home would in some way be condoned," Frist told ABC's "This Week."

"And I'm thinking of - whether it's prostitution or illegal commercial drug activity in the home - ... to have the courts come in, in this zone of privacy, and begin to define it gives me some concern."

Asked whether he supported an amendment that would ban any marriage in the United States except a union of a man and a woman, Frist said: "I absolutely do, of course I do.

"I very much feel that marriage is a sacrament, and that sacrament should extend and can extend to that legal entity of a union between - what is traditionally in our Western values has been defined - as between a man and a woman. So I would support the amendment."

Same-sex marriages are legal in Belgium and the Netherlands. Canada's Liberal government announced two weeks ago that it would enact similar legislation soon.

Rep. Marilyn Musgrave, R-Colo., was the main sponsor of the proposal offered May 21 to amend the Constitution. It was referred to the House Judiciary subcommittee on the Constitution on Wednesday, the day before the high court ruled.

As drafted, the proposal says:

"Marriage in the United States shall consist only of the union of a man and a woman. Neither this Constitution nor the constitution of any state under state or federal law shall be construed to require that marital status or the legal incidents thereof be conferred upon unmarried couples or groups."

To be added to the Constitution, the proposal must be approved by two-thirds of the House and the Senate and ratified by three-fourths of the states.

Frist said Sunday he respects the Supreme Court decision but feels the justices overstepped their bounds.

"Generally, I think matters such as sodomy should be addressed by the state legislatures," Frist said. "That's where those decisions - with the local norms, the local mores - are being able to have their input in reflected.

"And that's where it should be decided, and not in the courts."

Old 06-30-2003, 07:29 PM   #20
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:13 PM
Nice.

I suppose slavery and segregation were also just "local norms," too.

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:35 PM   #21
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

From the "kinda-good-news" department...

I just caught Lynne Cheney (wife of U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney and longtime conservative activist/government official--they have a daughter who is a lesbian) on CNN discussing the Lawrence vs. Texas decision. When asked if she agreed with it, Ms. Cheney said, "It was absolutely the right decision. I've been a conservative for a long time, and I believe the government has no right in people's bedrooms."

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:53 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:13 AM
learn something new every day

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
(wife of U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney and longtime conservative activist/government official--they have a daughter who is a lesbian)

i didn't know the cheneys' daughter was a lesbian.

good for her to recognize the gov't doesn't belong in bedrooms.

Old 07-01-2003, 11:26 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:13 AM

But there are a myriad of other reasons as to why we are supposed to hate the Cheneys.

~U2Alabama
Old 07-02-2003, 06:33 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
The GOP's 2000 platform, endorsed by President George W. Bush, called for the expulsion of gays in the military and supported a "traditional definition of 'marriage' as the legal union of one man and one woman." The platform also rejected calls to "recognize other living arrangements as marriages."
Not to mention a myriad of other reasons as to why we are supposed to hate the GOP...

Melon
Old 07-02-2003, 11:00 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

This is the first I hear the Chaneys have a gay child.

Not that it is any of my business, but I find it curious.

That fat man is like the wizard behind the curtain - what do we really know of him? I mean it has been 3 years now...
Old 07-02-2003, 01:38 PM   #26
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

More from the "kinda-good-news" department: Semi-scary but undoubtedly huge retailing giant Wal-Mart has added discrimination against gays and lesbians to its anti-discrimination policy. You can read the story here:

http://www.salon.com/tech/wire/2003/...art/index.html

Also, one of my favorite resources for keeping up on news affecting the GLBT community (and its hetero supporters) is The List, published by a guy named John Aravosis. He also runs an excellent website about standing up against hate crime. You can read his site or sign up for The List at:

http://www.hatecrime.org

He can be a little over-the-top sometimes with his comments, but mostly the list is a digest of news stories and information. Especially helpful is when he runs phone numbers, addresses, and e-mail addresses of companies or institutions responsible for anti-gay discrimination so you can call or write in protest (nicely, of course).

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:04 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ouizy
This is the first I hear the Chaneys have a gay child.

Not that it is any of my business, but I find it curious.

That fat man is like the wizard behind the curtain - what do we really know of him? I mean it has been 3 years now...

I am surprised to hear so many people say this.

I was well aware of this during the 2000 campaign..

I would hear mention of it from time to time in context of ‘compassionate conservative’ image they wanted to project, that is that W would have Dick on the ticket even though he had a gay daughter.

The fact that she was in the closet to the majority of the American people, and that the administration did not oppose the Texas law is a better indication where the admin. stands on this issue.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:33 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
The fact that she was in the closet to the majority of the American people, and that the administration did not oppose the Texas law is a better indication where the admin. stands on this issue.

true
Old 07-02-2003, 05:40 PM   #29
War Child

Local Time: 04:13 PM
Let's all hope that the Supreme Court stays on this righteous path and upholds the freedom of choice for women.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:53 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

don't hold your breath...

shamefully, I do not trust those old fucks.