Supporting Free Speech Is Only for Fervent Rightwingers - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2006, 04:18 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:26 PM
Supporting Free Speech Is Only for Fervent Rightwingers

The guardian told me so
Quote:
While Danish milk products were dumped in the Middle East, fervent rightwing Americans started buying Bang & Olufsen stereos and Lego. In the first quarter of this year Denmark’s exports to the US soared 17%. The British writer Christopher Hitchens organised a buy-Danish campaign. Among the thousands of emails sent to Rose was one from an American soldier serving in Iraq. “He told me he was sitting in Iraq, watching a game of football and drinking a can of Carlsberg,” Rose said.

Rose is not the only person to have prospered from the crisis. Re-elected last year, Mr Rasmussen last week became Denmark’s longest-serving Liberal prime minister. Danish troops are still in Iraq and Afghanistan. More than this, his sceptical line on immigration appears to have been vindicated as other EU countries follow suit.
link

Old 09-30-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:26 AM
We all support free speech we agree with.

Old 09-30-2006, 04:34 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Thats not supporting free speech, free speech only exists at the margins.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:42 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I understand the distinction. I'm merely making the point that that too many people support the idea of free speech but not the actual practice of it when it goes against something they believe.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

At least social conservatives don't pretend to support free speech; thats what makes leftists and"hate speech" laws so ugly.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:47 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Actually, I agree with you. There should be no sacred cows.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:14 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:26 AM
I agree, no sacred cows. If we have sacred cows it's Inquisitions and witch hunts next.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:29 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
At least social conservatives don't pretend to support free speech; thats what makes leftists and"hate speech" laws so ugly.
They don't? I can tell you censorship of leftist speech/writing is alive & well here in the States. Oh and the spin-doctoring...here if you are against the war or critical of GWB you're pro-terrorist.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:08 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Firstly the protest marches with some very ugly protest posters against the war in the streets goes against that, calling somebody pro-terrorist is not censorship. I have not seen the blocking of publishing Chomsky and Pilger by the government and the story about the FBI visiting a students house over Mao's "Little Red Book" was a lie and the perpetrator admitted as much. This contrasts to Victoria, Australia where two evangelicals have been carged with religious vilification for having a meeting explaining that Islam worships Jinn and how Christians should talk to Muslims about conversion.

Secondly what I said is that social conservatives will advocate censorship and will not be hypocrites and say how much they love free speech but then turn around and say there should be limits on bigotry.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:34 AM   #10
New Yorker

AW, you (understandably enough, I guess) simply don't have a US-eyed view on this. Your statement that these guys are free of hypocrisy is embarrassingly counter-factual. Consider the right-wing attempts to censor PBS (Bert and Ernie being the national security threat that they are), Harry Potter and Sponge Bob.

Secondly, are you seriously asking me to admire the consistency of a group of folks who, by your own description above, don't even pretend to value free speech?
Old 10-01-2006, 08:39 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Free of hypocricy is that social conservatives (like Pat Buchanan who sides against Rushdie) don't pretend to be in favour of free speech, they are bastards who advocate censorship but at least their honest about it. I don't admire the position, I think that censorship is wrong but I do think that it is more honest than standing for free speech in the forms of gay rights parades and blasting the government but then turning around to supress intolerent speech.

I extend my support for free speech to the likes of Abu Hamza al Masri telling the world that the Jews are the sons of pigs and apes; I draw attention to and I think rightfully blast that speech as violent and intolerent but still think that the right for it to be said (and importantly publicised and criticised) is better than sending him off to prison for "race hate".
Old 10-01-2006, 08:48 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I agree with Wanderer in that the right wing does not make much of a pretense of valuing free speech, therefore are not being hypocritical. The left is more hypocritical on this. I didn't think there was any praise in his post for the right wing, just a little note on the irony. It's a fair point to bring up -- and I lean left.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:54 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I guess that's true - the right is less hypocritical about it; they're for suppressing free speech if they disagree with it and make no bones about it.

But isn't it hypocritical for the right to criticize laws against hate speech while trying to pass legislature banning flag burning?
Old 10-01-2006, 12:30 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

I am pretty right and I still support free speech; statists are the types who want to supress it and they can be progressive or conservative.

There is genuine irony in having Christopher Hitchens on the list as a fervent rightwinger.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:17 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:26 AM
The right is more consistent with the whole free speech deal. The left is often hypocritical about this, and I say this as someone who leans left. The right blatantly opposes free speech, and the left says they support it but often suppress it. I saw plenty of this in the Mohammed cartoon controversy.