Supporting Free Speech Is Only for Fervent Rightwingers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on the context of faithful and unbelievers; that is the same language used by the Imams who chose to create a situation - I don't see anything wrong with adopting that same parlance in a mocking tone - something that rarely comes through in print; in fact there is probably a bit of irony in there.

The secular west with it's freedom of religion and mainstream faith compatible with modern life is deviating from literalism and traditionalism; it is the epitome of unbelief from the hardcore atheist to the moderate Muslim. I don't see anything wrong with this way of life and I think that unbelief is any type of criticism when belief is defined as literalism with the ideas of iconoclasm and death edicts; it is a term to embrace with pride.

A_Wanderer said:
Depends on the context of faithful and unbelievers; that is the same language used by the Imams who chose to create a situation - I don't see anything wrong with adopting that same parlance in a mocking tone - something that rarely comes through in print; in fact there is probably a bit of irony in there.

The secular west with it's freedom of religion and mainstream faith compatible with modern life is deviating from literalism and traditionalism; it is the epitome of unbelief from the hardcore atheist to the moderate Muslim. I don't see anything wrong with this way of life and I think that unbelief is any type of criticism when belief is defined as literalism with the ideas of iconoclasm and death edicts; it is a term to embrace with pride.

Fair enough.

You've elucidated your views on belief quite clearly. It's interesting, I'd always had you pegged as a "hardcore atheist" who was completely against any and all religion so I was suprised to hear your openess to mainstream faith.

Guess that goes to show the dangers of "pegging" anyone.

Denmark's Prime Minister condemns latest mocking of Prophet Muhammad

Associated Press, October 8, 2006

COPENHAGEN--Denmark Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen on Sunday condemned the youth wing of an anti-immigrant party for mocking the Prophet Muhammad during a summer camp meeting earlier this year. "I strongly condemn the behavior of members of the youth wing of the Danish People's Party," Fogh Rasmussen said. "Their tasteless behavior does in no way represent the way the Danish people or young Danish people view Muslims or Islam."

The videos were posted online earlier this week, drawing criticism and condemnation from Muslim leaders in Egypt and Indonesia. Members of the youth group could be seen in the video having a drawing contest in August. One woman presented a cartoon showing a camel with the head of Muhammad and beer cans for humps. A second drawing showed a bearded man wearing a turban next to a plus sign and a bomb that equals a nuclear mushroom cloud.

In one video — which was aired briefly on Danish broadcaster TV2 — the people appeared to have been drinking alcohol. In the statement, Fogh Rasmussen said the activity was "an unacceptable behavior of a small group of young people."

The Danish People's Party advocates tighter anti-immigration controls and is allied with Fogh Rasmussen's center-right coalition. The party holds no government positions. "This is the kind of things that happen when you're drunk," party leader Pia Kjaersgaard said Sunday. She claimed the video was filmed at "a closed party" by a man who infiltrated the youth wing for the past 18 months to uncover their platform.

Over the weekend, Danish lawmakers condemned the contest. The youth organization of Fogh Rasmussen's Liberal Party called it "a perverted presentation of the Prophet Muhammad."

The youth wing's chairman, Kenneth Kristensen, said he regrets that group members had mocked the prophet but said it was "OK to poke fun" at religious and political figures.
Apparently, he has no difficulty distancing himself when it's politically expedient to do so.

COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Videos showing anti-immigrant party members mocking the Prophet Muhammad were pulled from Web sites Monday as two youths seen in the clips were reported in hiding and the Foreign Ministry warned Danes against traveling to much of the Middle East.

Muslim clerics from Egypt and Indonesia condemned the video broadcast in Denmark last week showing members of the Danish People’s Party youth wing with cartoons of a camel wearing the head of Muhammad and beer cans for humps. A second drawing placed a turbaned, bearded man next to a plus sign and a bomb, all equaling a mushroom cloud.

In a move aimed at defusing tension, the Danish Foreign Ministry met ambassadors from Muslim countries to discuss the video Monday. It was unclear how many diplomats took part in the meeting hosted by Foreign Ministry director Ulrik Federspiel or which countries they represented.

Foreign Ministry officials explained to the ambassadors that the government had denounced the drawings and that the footage had been removed from the two Web sites that had posted it, the ministry said.

Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen condemned the youth in the video Sunday, saying “their tasteless behavior does in no way represent the way the Danish people or young Danish people view Muslims or Islam.”

Citing critical media reports from many Muslim regions, the Foreign Ministry cautioned against travel to Gaza, the West Bank, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, Iraq, Iran, Syria and Turkey.

“Against that background, we urge Danes to use caution as the matter could possibly lead to negative reactions. The atmosphere and reactions can vary dependent on time and place. Danes should be aware of the local mood,” the ministry said.

The episode comes in the aftermath of an outcry across the Muslim world after the original September 2005 printing in Danish newspapers of 12 cartoons portraying Muhammad — considered taboo for most Muslims.

Four months later, the images were reprinted in a range of Western media, triggering massive protests from Morocco to Indonesia.

The video was produced by an artists’ group, Defending Denmark. In a message posted along with the video, the group said it had infiltrated the Danish People’s Party Youth, known as DFU, for 18 months “to document (their) extreme right wing associations.”

“This is not an example of something that is meant to provoke. This is an example to show how things are in Danish politics,” artist Martin Rosengaard Knudsen told Danish public radio.

The clip was removed from that broadcaster’s Web site Monday, as well as from the Nyhedsavisen newspaper’s site. The purpose of the original publication was “not to insult Muslims or expose any members ... to any danger,” said the paper’s editor, David Trads.

A party official reportedly said that two youths seen in the video clips had gone into hiding.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061010/ap_on_re_eu/denmark_prophet_drawings

They should call prophets people who hear voices.

Back
Top Bottom