Support for war continues to fall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the poll numbers are real and not just a monthly bounce because of the sudden mass number of Bombings in May, then Zarqawi and all the terrorist in Iraq have something to warm their twisted hearts with.

No, it means that the terrorists would be suceeding in weaking domestic support for the war, forcing the hand of US politicians to remove the current obstacle that they have in creating total chaos and the proper conditions to acheive their ends in Iraq.

I don't think it would mean a thing? In places like the UK and Australia people were 90%+ AGAINST the war as it was starting. Public opinion doesn't count for much on this one at all....

Support for Iraq war grows: poll

Wednesday 26 February 2003, 08:30AM

Support for Australian involvement in a war on Iraq is on the rise, according to the latest Newspoll.

Conducted for SBS World News, the Newspoll found support for military action in Iraq had returned to levels of late last year following a dip in January.

Support for Australian involvement in US-led military strikes rose by eight points from 30 per cent to 38 per cent since last month.

Opposition to the conflict fell from 61 per cent to 53 per cent with nine per cent uncommitted.

More males continue to support Australian involvement than females and support was higher among those aged 35 and over.

There was also an increase in support for Australian involvement in a war with United Nations backing, up six per cent to 67 per cent since last month.

The rise in support comes despite mass anti-war demonstrations held in all capital cities this month.
link

And now after the fact it has consistently been more or less split over the long term deployment of Australian troops into next year. That and the failure of Labor to capitalise on Iraq with Lathams "home by Christmas" pledge shows that the Australian public is probably mostly apathetic with about equal numbers passionately for and against. It was not 90%+ opposition and it certainly is not today.

A_Wanderer said:
No, it means that the terrorists would be suceeding in weaking domestic support for the war, forcing the hand of US politicians to remove the current obstacle that they have in creating total chaos and the proper conditions to acheive their ends in Iraq.

Or maybe it means that people look at the HANDLING of the war and see it as a failure.

VertigoGal said:
Maybe it will lead to quicker withdrawal of American troops, creating more of a sense of a purely Iraqi government, giving those who recruit terrorists fewer palpable reasons to work with? :shrug:

Good point.

I am against the reasons for going into Iraq. But since the U.S. and coalition are there, I support their performance. I want them to do well. I think that if someone wants troops from their country to do badly to justify their opinions about the war, they're unpatriotic. But they're not unpatriotic if they're just against the war.

Back
Top Bottom